When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Liquid Metal

Jkay

This aerospace part was cast (and finished) in one operation. No machining was required. It is made using LiquidMetal technology. If you know anything about machines, this is incredible.

Scratch-proof, stronger than titanium at 1/3 the bulk, and corrosion-proof.

liquidmetal_part.jpg

From the article: Cult of Mac article (Apple bought controlling interest in Liquid Metal tech)

The alloys, also known as bulk metallic glasses, are as strong as titanium but use only one-third of the material. It can be mixed with very small amounts of precious metals to make jewelry-like finishes, or optimized for functions such as an antenna. And while titanium scratches and magnesium corrodes, Liquidmetal is scratch and corrosion proof, and resistant to greasy marks. "You get fingerprints all over them and they just disappear," Merkel says. "You could add gold or silver to get a beautiful look you've never seen before."

If this material is torsionally un-suitable, I doubt they could create aerospace quality pipe nipples out of it .. the nipples would snap off. I understand that some iPhones and iPads ship with a Liquid Metal SIM card ejector tool, the size of a small paper clip. From what I read, it is un-bendable by hand unless you "hurt or cut your fingers"

Liquidmetal_SIM_Pin.jpg