When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need help buying the Explorer I

Robaer

You might try google or Bing. Basically the Explorer has been around since the early 50's when Hillary and Norgay climbed Everest, morphing into models like the 6610 and 1016. More modern models are the 14000 and 14200. The one you'll see around here the most is the 1016 which had a long run from the early 60's thru the 80's and is revered by the vintage fans around here. Good luck.

I would think there is more than one manufacturer of the modern ExpI, but I really don't know.

I would doubt that the noobfactory produces this model, but that's just my educated guess.

generally these are fairly decent reps because they're so simple. Get a few pics of the gen and then check them out against what our collectors have to offer. Good luck

Go to this website and have a look at these Explorers. This dealer comes very well recommended on this board and these Explorers are popularly priced and there are a couple of different ones with different movements. The top two are the ones that he has carried the longest. Don't know what the difference between them and the others below would be. Only problem that I see is that the case diameter is 37mm and should be 36mm. Someone else might comment favorably on that.

http://www.yourtrustytime.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_3&zenid=e272ee9ea0c2caf121cdc439f8dd4eb8

the dials on the Explorers available these days arent the same as in the pics on say trustytimes site or josh's, theyre the older incarnation of the explorer I from a few years back with the more common dial alignment, the new ones arent wrong but the dial is less common in comparison to what you'll find on ebay, at least the new revision has the better bracelet and clasp.

i got my explorer for my woman here from this trusted dealer, yeah thats right i consider it a womans watch, or boys size. I insist you get the Swiss ETA as i've had nothing but dumb problems with clones and im done with them.

Thank you for your replys.

Prowatch had only the new 2010 version of the Explorer I on her site.

Does it mean that the watch actual watch Trusty Times ships will have different dials than the one pictured on his site?

The dial on the site actually looked very good IMO.

Thank you for your replys.

Prowatch had only the new 2010 version of the Explorer I on her site.

Does it mean that the watch actual watch Trusty Times ships will have different dials than the one pictured on his site?

The dial on the site actually looked very good IMO.

hi, i like this one, it has the correct solid end links, your choice on what movement you get, the dial looks pretty good too. good luck :thumbsupsmileyanim:

http://www.puretimewatch.com/product/explorer/

hi, i like this one, it has the correct solid end links, your choice on what movement you get, the dial looks pretty good too. good luck :thumbsupsmileyanim:

http://www.puretimewatch.com/product/explorer/

Craigb, that's a good looking watch...but...the case diameter is 38mm. The 2010 (which you don't want) is 39mm. Gen is, I believe, 36mm. It seems like a sort of a cross between the legacy Explorer and the 2010.

This is the frustration of this hobby. How many times, on this a other forums, has someone lamented..."Why can't they just make one correct?" I don't know.

Craigb, that's a good looking watch...but...the case diameter is 38mm. The 2010 (which you don't want) is 39mm. Gen is, I believe, 36mm. It seems like a sort of a cross between the legacy Explorer and the 2010.

This is the frustration of this hobby. How many times, on this a other forums, has someone lamented..."Why can't they just make one correct?" I don't know.

i know it says 38mm, but in the photo it looks quite small, i think the best option is to try and find a wm9 explorer,very rare though but thats the only way to get a correct rep of the explorer.

it looks like andrew updated the pics on his website as of may 2010 with the 'Explorer I' that you should expect to receive, the most expensive swiss model has the pics of the watch i received.

here's the one i got

4720185451_9462055175.jpg

youll notice the P and L fall in alignment horizontally in perpetual and explorer and the E over the D in certified and chronometer. most common gen explorer dials ive seen and on the pre 2010 calendar rep models had a different alignment that was the most common.

the woman loves it, and truly you cant really tell the difference between the gen and the rep

Excellent watch and photo, highoeyazmuhudee. It's photos like that that got me interested in the Explorer. And the dial alignment, I had no idea about that...

Though, I would prefer a version with thinner white on the numerals and thinner crown, if such a version still exists.

well this is the same one i bought

http://www.yourtrustytime.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3&products_id=6423

the one you linked is from 2006 and has the older dial i was talking about, im not even sure if you'll receive the one pictured because the most recent explorer Is ive seen people buy had the same dial as mine.