When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review FF95 - DSN

Vitin

DSN FF95

ff1.jpg

ff02.jpg

In 1952, two French naval officers, Commander Robert "Bob" Maloubier and Lieutenant Claude Riffaud were instructed by the Ministry of Defense and the French Navy to set up an elite unit called "Les Nageurs de combat" - i.e. Combat Swimmers - which became then a highly selective and top notch unit within the French forces.

Their underwater operations required rugged, water-resistant and reliable equipment capable of withstanding the testing conditions and environment of sub-sea missions. At the time, they found no diver's watch that could meet their demanding specifications. The two officers determined what they needed by way of a wristwatch and got in touch with Blancpain Rayville SA, in Villeret, Switzerland. The company's visionary engineers and watchmakers put their talents and know-how to work and came up with a compact marvel of precision mechanics, which would later become a myth: the FIFTY FATHOMS.

ff05.jpg

ff03.jpg

ff04.jpg

At the same time, LIP's reputation in France was second to none. Their dominant position in the French market led Blancpain, then virtually unknown in France, to sign a marketing and distribution deal with them in 1953 to enable them to get a toehold in France. Lip was at the same time able to distribute high-class watches with their own name on the dial.

Over the years and until the 1980s, several models were issued by Blancpain in small quantities, often for a military use in several countries. Most were fitted with AS (Anton Schild in Grenchen) auto movements. Many had the "no radiation symbol" on dial and some with the moisture circle indicator to control water resistance (often seen on the MILSPEC 1 and TR-900). The reputation of reliability of these watches earned them the right to be used by armies such as French Navy, Czech, Polish, German federal, some Nordic countries, and also by the US Navy (SEAL, under water demolition team, Frogman).

Davidsen is the only one that I know who dared to replicate vintage editions of the FF. However, their differences vs gen are quite obvious. It is a watch that you say you love or you hate, I do not think there is midpoint. But if what you are looking for a rep is the gen with its accuracy, flight of this model. This has many virtues, but the differences with gen obvious. Remember that watches that are mostly built in the 50s and are very few of them, especially in good condition.

GEN photos

FF95N1748001.jpg

FF95N1750001.jpg

Photos of the REP

CSC_0257.jpg

CSC_0256.jpg

CSC_0255.jpg

The rep:

I love the bezel. It is very wide and is the part that gives more life to watch. As a difference with the gen have the teeth of the bezel, in the version of DNS is much more marked than in the gene and the outer ring of steel is much thinner. The numbers on the bezel should be a little thicker and more separated. Diameter is 41 mm.

The dial is another marvel. Very sober, but very complete. It seems that both the numbers and text respect the original. The hands are also very well finished and with the correct length and width in my point of view.

With regard to the crown seems to be quite different from the gen. Since the rep seems to be just a bit oversized and flat, and the gen ends rather rounded. However, there are several versions within a single model of the FF, so I do not consider too important.

The glass is plexiglass. Scratches are common, but it is a vintage and should be this way. However, I have read that the plexi should be a little more curved.

As read, it appears that the caseback is correct, but the photo of the gen that there are differences. Back again with the different versions, it seems that different caseback were done.

DSN sends the watch with a carbon fiber strap, that the truth does not just convince me. Here is another difference with the gen, given that the distance between the lugs should be 20 mm to 22 mm and not as manufactures DSN. I'm thinking of a NATO or a tropic.

The lumen is certainly spectacular and the lumen of the bezel outstanding.

FF95N1750002.jpg

Davidsen guarantees the waterprrof in this watch, but I don’t know if swimming with it. I think this is a basic thing in a diving watch,

In short, a special watch, I love, as you look over you like, however, there are differences with the gen. Who loves this watch is not for its fidelity to the original, look for other things and everyone knows theirs.

Now the watch is too new to be a vintage age and need a vintage modding (aging the case). But I do not dare to do it by now.

Thanks for reading and I hope I have done something for growing interest in these fabulous model of Blancpain.

PD: I am sorry about my english.

Edited by Vitin

Thank you for the time you spent on this review, The FF is a very different watch to many that we see here and one that people wanted repping for some time, as you say the DSN although not a very good repliction of the gen still a very nice watch with some great heritage. it is almost a dshame that DSN did not make this as a homage as i think it would have caught more attention to the main stream. I know of one UK watch maker who made a homage to this and has made a very good watch indeed, something that DSN is also capable of. it is just unfortunate the people here obbcess about the most minute details, but then again that is why we are so knolegable here because we do notice the deail that others dont.

Can I ask where did you get the milanese?

From Omega, unfortunately! I was buying it for a Seamaster 300, but found out too late that I had bought the wrong size--22mm, instead of 20mm. Good thing it looks pretty good on the Blancpain.

Great review, by the way. I'm a big fan of the watch, too.

This is another good strap option, if you want the full vintage look:

927558587_DZ6Vz-X3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The lume looks really great on these, my question is how long does it last? Minutes or hours?

I have one watch with superluminova C3 and I can wake up in the middle of the night and it is still glowing.

I have never given too much thought to lume until I started taking evening walks with my wife and haven't been able to tell the time on my current everyday watch (I don't wear the O&W that has superlume everyday).

The lume looks really great on these, my question is how long does it last? Minutes or hours?

It's fairly good, but don't think that is a seiko.

Nevertheless, we have to think that is a vintage watch, an lume is not supposed to be spectacular.

Great early post. I do find this a great watch. It's hard to capture the plastic bubble coated bezel look in pix...and it adds a good vintage feel to the piece.

Welcome to the forum...not many posts...but you've obviously been around awhile!!

Great stuff.

Thanks mate.

Your opinion is an honour to me.