When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

my first oxidized ti PAM creation...

hackR

inspired by the Michigan Mad Scientist, mike, i completed my first oxidation of a ti case... :chef:

then added in a Ziggified c1/c3 dial/movement... 8)

img6850k.jpg

img6849r.jpg

next to my distressed pvd creation...

img6847.jpg

img6848s.jpg

img6847h.jpg

img6869.jpg

this case was a reallllllly light gray titanium...almost looked like brushed ss...not any more.... ;)

next to my 036 and 177...

img6876t.jpg

img6870.jpg

img6873s.jpg

i followed the same advice as Lani and Mike...kinda/sorta...

materials:

Oxiclean - 24 oz

Pyrex glass 32 oz measuring cup

plastic water bottle top

32 oz pot

watch prep...i de-cased the dial/movement...i then folded up plastic wrap into a small square approx 6mm...stuck the stem thru it and trimmed it down to approx 3mm - just enough to cover the stem tube opening...inserted the stem/crown into the tube - carefully tucking the plastic wrap into the crown head - as best you can...put the cg on and it was sealed...not a drop of water!...

i poured 16-20 oz of water and 1 1/2 scoop of oxiclean into the 32 oz pot on the stove...made it hot to the touch...not warm, not boiling...stirred it up to break it down...it does "foam" so plan the level of water accordingly...

poured the hot mixture into the Pyrex glass measuring cup with the watch face down on the bottle cap...carefully and to cover the watch completely by an inch or so...

let it brew for 20 minutes...

made another batch of hot water and oxiclean mix...

poured out the water from the pyrex measuring cup...refilled with the hot water mixture...

let it brew for 20 minutes...

i repeated this for 2 hours...6 cycles...i then let it sit overnight for 8 hours...

i took it out...rinsed it well with water...

let it air dry...i then used Crest toothpaste (the orig formula) and lightly brushed the case to clean it up - it takes some of the blue off and generally cleans it up a bit...

i decided to darken it further and did the same for another hour today...3 cycles...

i believe you can use aluminum polish paste to take the blue out...so far, i like it...time will tell if i decide to work it some more...for now it works...so, we'll see...

enjoy - R

HackR's inspiration....cell phone pics...the woman is 5K miles away with the camera!

My 172 Case with SS CG..left off the SS Bezel

0908101931-00.jpg

Next to my 036 to compare.

0908102036-00.jpg

This a spare full Ti case I had around. I polished the Bezel and CG to replicate more of how a 172 Tantalum case should be with the polished areas, without using SS. Need to make some adjustments as the Bezel and CG, while having a polished look, they are too blue.

0908101931-01.jpg

thanks, Gents... :drinks:

i tend to wander off the beaten path of repliamaniacal perfection into custom craziness...

gonna tone down the blue with a light swabbing of some automotive aluminum polish goop that mike has recommended...per mike, it wipes away, leaving the underlying darkened surface...

@P4 --> the distressed pvd piece is a poor man's version of the PAM 360... ;) ...assembled with various collected/spare pieces...a fun venture...btw - i thought i finally got to understanding the english language thru tutorials with peteM, :whistling: , but that said, what the heck is a crown brulee?...if you mean the rising cg pin on the distressed pvd, i need to pop that sucker down and glue fix her...like anything else, its a matter of time...