When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My 16520

HauteHippie

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa! In all my years of watch collecting, I have never seen that happen on a new/NOS Rolex crown (common problem with used parts though). Have you contacted the seller for a replacement? I believe Rolex warrants parts for 90 days.

Actually, I've had the part for more than 90 days. This one has been in the pipe for some time. Anyhow, now half the crown is stuck on the stem inside the tube. This is going to be a pain.

One of the pinions was also defective. Also, brand new, sealed packaging, etc. Pathetic.

I have (twice) been sold non-gen xtals in sealed Rolex packaging (though the packaging print did look questionable once I was made aware of the scheme). I am beginning to wonder if our Chinese friends are now manufacturing other 'Rolex' parts, aside from vintage bracelets, cases, Brevet crowns, faux Rolex (ETA clone) movements, etc? :g:

As far as the bum crown goes, I would still try to make a claim through the seller. Not doubting you, Chief, but new Rolex parts just do not self-destruct like that. Something smells a bit fishy.

I have (twice) been sold non-gen xtals in sealed Rolex packaging (though the packaging print did look questionable once I was made aware of the scheme). I am beginning to wonder if our Chinese friends are now manufacturing other 'Rolex' parts, aside from vintage bracelets, cases, Brevet crowns, faux Rolex (ETA clone) movements, etc? :g:

As far as the bum crown goes, I would still try to make a claim through the seller. Not doubting you, Chief, but new Rolex parts just do not self-destruct like that. Something smells a bit fishy.

The source of this crown is actually the only source I question, as I really don't know the guy. The rest of the gen parts came from trustworthy sources. Zero concerns there. The bracelet came from a local AD. ;-) Now I guess it is possible the crown was a phony in repped packaging.... I guess. But I think that's unlikely. Highly. But, what does give me pause is that the threading of the crown to the stem was not compatible. In the end, we made a somewhat permanent joint there. :g:

That is very sweet. I saw a preview of this beauty privately and I honestly thought it was gen. It's that good.

Congrats my friend... it's pieces like this that makes this hobby priceless.

Beautifully finished! I love it! But a bummer about the crown :(

Are the pinions feeling tight while setting the time?

Thanks buddy.... Pinions very tight, but I can still set time to a fraction of a minute - (when there is a crown attached :lol:). It's livable. I figure we'll try to address it at the first servicing / tear down. The movement is NOS and didn't require service this time. But I suppose your angle is the stress it might be putting on the crown - and that's a good point. Well, we'll try another and see what happens I guess.

Indeed; I'm wondering if there is just too much friction with time setting? Though I would think that a significant amount of resistance would be necessary for the crown to just give out.

Am I of the correct understanding that the clutch for the spring loaded portion is what failed? Is the crown just free spinning now?

The crown is in two pieces now. The threaded nipple (the part that plunges in) is still threaded on to the stem, inside the crown tube of the case. :( The rest of the crown is completely detached. And the little spring is loose.

It did break in the midst of time setting, though. I was almost at the desired time, and suddenly it just started spinning freely, and then fell off. LOL.

'Wow' is not the word that comes to mind. Something more along the lines of woe seems more apt. :(

On the other hand, maybe, once enough of these clone parts get into the hands of the official Rolex service/supply network & RSCs begin finding them in watches serviced by officially sanctioned watchmakers, Rolex will get the message & free up some of their supplies of gens so it is easier to acquire the real thing than a copy. Though, knowing Rolex, it may just cause them to tighten their stranglehold even more.

'Wow' is not the word that comes to mind. Something more along the lines of woe seems more apt. :(

On the other hand, maybe, once enough of these clone parts get into the hands of the official Rolex service/supply network & RSCs begin finding them in watches serviced by officially sanctioned watchmakers, Rolex will get the message & free up some of their supplies of gens so it is easier to acquire the real thing than a copy. Though, knowing Rolex, it may just cause them to tighten their stranglehold even more.

Rolex doesn't care that counterfeit crowns are finding their way onto the secondary market. To them, this problem is of little concern nor consequence; Rolex knows that the crowns they are fitting during service are genuine and from the official source. They'll still charge the end user/owner of the watch being serviced for the cost of the gen crown and simply throw the dud away, which is essentially the same thing they would do if the crown they were replacing was genuine anyways. If anything, this only helps Rolex and the RSC network as it guarantees that the parts they are fitting and supplying during service are correct and authentic; to most owners of Rolex watches, that's what matters and if that's the cost of peace of mind, that's the path said owners will take. This helps strengthen the hold that the RSCs have on aftersales support.