When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Twinlock / Brevet crown and tube needed

Nanuq

Well I'm sad to say it, but I pooched the Twinlock crown on my 6536. I'm in need of a replacement. So which is more appropriate for a '58 Sub, the Twinlock or earlier Brevet?

And who has an extra set for sale?

Thanks gents!

Technically, the Brevet crown goes with a Brevet signed (between the lugs) case. So, although the Brevet is more exclusive, the Twinlock is the correct option. Unfortunately, I do not have spares of either, but you can usually find them on ebay from established sellers.

How did you 'pooch' your current parts?

Thanks guys. Mine is not labeled Brevet between the lugs so I'll have to go with another Twinlock. If you spot one, sing out!

How did I pooch it? The threads were already weak, I only had about one turn of threads left and I'd been nursing it along for the last 12 years like that. Today I was getting ready for an epic mtn bike ride and was in a big hurry getting gear together. I grabbed the Sub and unscrewed it to set the time, as I was running around packing up. I set it, pushed the crown in a click to give it a couple winds, and as I was getting my backpack out, clicked the crown in and twisted to screw it down. I wasn't paying attention and got it so the last remaining thread was barely engaged, then gave it a turn. It didn't thread, instead it stripped as I turned it. I grimaced as I felt the last thread come off, and stopped barely in time. Now there's the tiniest bit of thread left, maybe 1/16th of a turn. It will hold the crown in, barely. Dangit. My fault entirely.

So if anyone sees a good crown, let me know please? I'll chase the threads on my tube and see if it can be salvaged.

It was $219 with a matching new-style tube, with the larger thread diameter and with splines for solid installation. It's the flat bottom one to sit flush to the case. Guaranteed to have good stem threading and the spring/clutch are perfect.

Sadly, the crown took the bullet this time. There are thread remnants lodged in the tube down around its base. The last vestiges of a crown as old as I am!

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus AND a Sub as ancient as Nanuq.

But this Sub is gettin' new shoes, baby! :tu:

Ooooooo that's nice. But it's the big vintage one, same size as a Triplock like on a Sea Dweller. In fact that would look killer nice on my crusty old SD!

The twinlock I need is 5.3mm so much much smaller. But THANK YOU for the link! :tu:

Brevet is in da house! What do you guys think? It looks brass on the inside, wrapped with stainless, has a hex threaded piece jammed in the center of the crown. The rubber seal sits inside the crown where it's supposed to, and the threads all look good. It threads perfectly onto the tube. I don't have a way to check yet to make sure the spring inside the crown is good. Now off to the workbench! :tu:

crown1.jpg

crown2.jpg

crown5.jpg

crown6.jpg

crown7.jpg

Looks perfect (for a used/vintage Rolex). You can test the internal spring/tube assembly simply by compressing the crown between your thumb & index finger. The components should compress (all the way) & release with little or no (serious) binding. Typically, the inner tube will 'hang' during release, which is why people complain that their crown does not pop-out when they unscrew it. The 'hanging' is due either to a worn spring inside the crown's inner tube (in some crowns that I have rebuilt, the spring had literally disintegrated over time) or because the tube is out-of-round. Either case generally requires that you rebuild (if you have another good Twinlock, you can transplant its inner tube onto the Brevet) or replace the crown.

Arming myself with a snifter of Amarula, I approached the workbench. To my left lay the dubious crown, before me lay the printed instructions from Freddy. Clenched in my trembling hands was the glass of Amarula. Sweat appeared on my forehead. I felt my pulse increase as my blood pressure rose. Fitting the magnifying glasses to my eyes, I took a deep breath and prepared myself. What disaster awaits? What victory? I took a gulp of Amarula, and picked up the crown.

Tiny it was, in its stainless magnificence. Tiny, and yet enormous in its accumulated heritage. A Swiss Brevet.

My hands trembled. What Would Ubi Do? It went through my mind over and over, like a clarion call to excellence. I knew what Ubi would do. The die was cast.

So I grasped the crown, Freddy style, between my increasingly weak thumb and index finger. My entire being screamed at me to RUN!! LEAVE!!! ESCAPE!!!! I gasped for breath, and the room grew dark in my peripheral vision. I felt my strength escaping, but knew I had one chance to slay the beast. One chance to answer the question, one chance to redeem myself.

So I squeezed.

A hush fell over the workbench, and somewhere an angel sang. The sun broke out from behind a cloud, and lo... the spring compressed.

Giddy I was, overwrought with perspiration and adrenaline! THE SPRING WORKED!!! It was a jubilant moment, now engraved in the stone of time. The crown had proved its mettle and I knew I had a winner.

So now it wings its way to a distant land, where magician's hands will perform a transplant worthy of the Mayo Clinic. Photos will ensue upon its return.

Arming myself with a snifter of Amarula, I approached the workbench. To my left lay the dubious crown, before me lay the printed instructions from Freddy. Clenched in my trembling hands was the glass of Amarula. Sweat appeared on my forehead. I felt my pulse increase as my blood pressure rose. Fitting the magnifying glasses to my eyes, I took a deep breath and prepared myself. What disaster awaits? What victory? I took a gulp of Amarula, and picked up the crown.

Tiny it was, in its stainless magnificence. Tiny, and yet enormous in its accumulated heritage. A Swiss Brevet.

My hands trembled. What Would Ubi Do? It went through my mind over and over, like a clarion call to excellence. I knew what Ubi would do. The die was cast.

So I grasped the crown, Freddy style, between my increasingly weak thumb and index finger. My entire being screamed at me to RUN!! LEAVE!!! ESCAPE!!!! I gasped for breath, and the room grew dark in my peripheral vision. I felt my strength escaping, but knew I had one chance to slay the beast. One chance to answer the question, one chance to redeem myself.

So I squeezed.

A hush fell over the workbench, and somewhere an angel sang. The sun broke out from behind a cloud, and lo... the spring compressed.

Giddy I was, overwrought with perspiration and adrenaline! THE SPRING WORKED!!! It was a jubilant moment, now engraved in the stone of time. The crown had proved its mettle and I knew I had a winner.

So now it wings its way to a distant land, where magician's hands will perform a transplant worthy of the Mayo Clinic. Photos will ensue upon its return.

Thats awesome!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

All that just to squeeze the crown to see if it works!

lol

i love your stories my friend

dizz