When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UN MD 45mm, just came in!

jmarin.72

Since the day i saw Jkay's UN MMD i wanted to get one for myself as well.The fact that the GEN has a closed caseback and the rep comes only

with a display caseback held me back from ordering the specific model.So i went to the next choice which was the UN MD 45mm

To be honest last week i tried the gen at my local AD and i was disappointed,i mean 7200euros retail price but no quality at all, the gen really looked to me like a waste of money.Modified ETA movement, light weight (due to the Ti case)and generaly it gave me a really cheap watch feeling.Like i said to maxman and cougaree i have handled reps that looked more gen than this one :whistling:

So today the rep arrived at my door, and i got some pics for you just to display the major flaws on this, besides the 23j movement

that is visible from the display caseback!!!

Well i have spotted four major flaws (make that 3 if you get the black dial version!!!)

1)The dial colour should be silver and not white (although due to the double ar from some angles looks silverish)

776e4db4.jpg

2)The date mag is too low, the 30 secs line on the seconds subdial is visible on the gen but not here due to the lower position of the mag

b19c6c4f.jpg

On the contrary the 60 secs line is not visible on the gen (on the rep it is)

3)The AUTOMATIC 200M and the ULYSSE NARDIN tags should sit recessed in the dial and not on top

50a39c92.jpg

4)The weight!!!this thing is really heavy and since the GEN is entirely of Ti...well you get the picture

Regarding the size of this thing...IT IS HUGE and HEAVY!!!

42967e4e.jpg

The clasp is great for a rep, snaps without any problems and the diver's deployant works great, reminded me the OMEGA style.

Overall construction is great for a rep, the bezel is a beauty, colours, pearl and functionality are gen like :thumbsupsmileyanim:

To be honest i was waiting to be disappointed from the case back and the movement display but...the rotor is nicely decorated and the

movement does not look bad either :good:

All markings are nicely done, crown is good (no hacking mechanism there)

Lume....well...not good....not good at all...Ulysse Nardin is well known for the quality of the lumination on the timepieces they make, so

this is a major flaw, but then again all reps have that flaw as well.Pearl and hour markers have no lume at all :angry: , the only lume

i found was on the hour and minute hands, this one is going over to Domenico for a full lume treatment for sure :yeah:

PR is working (no faux PR here) and also the number plate is silver and not gold, so no scotch brite treatment is needed :good:

Overall i am happy with the watch, josh told me that it runs +4 secs a day, i will have to put that to the test and let you know.

Also don't forget to clean and oil the bracelet, No1 priority there!!!

That is about it guys, thanks for reading, reviews are not my stongest point!!!

John

Hey John,thanks for sharing your thoughts,good job :good: I have the black dial version that I really like.The few flaws that the rep has dosent realy bother me at all. Overall I think It's a very well made rep. I try not to get to anal about the Inperfections and enjoy the watch. I can drive myself crazy about the smallest flaws at times. :bangin: I also noticed that the gens second sub dial has a cut out at the 60 for the pinion. It took me several side by sides to see this. :pardon: I hope you enjoy your new watch,It's a beauty :thumbsupsmileyanim: Mike

That is a great watch...and under-appreciated here. I actually thought the gen was quite nice...more striking in person than pics I had seen. I know what you mean now that you say the dial is white rather than the silver.

That's disappointing about the lume.

I've been on the fence about this one for quite some time.

Thanks for writing this up.

I also noticed that the gens second sub dial has a cut out at the 60 for the pinion.

Yeap you are correct there!!!

The thing is that the dial colour is way off...this is no minor flaw since it is the first thing you notice on this watch.But on the other

hand you should be very familiar with UN models to be able to know that detail!!!

That is a great watch...and under-appreciated here. I actually thought the gen was quite nice...more striking in person than pics I had seen. I know what you mean now that you say the dial is white rather than the silver.

Thanks for your commends S!!!yes i do agree that this watch is under-appreciated since it is an exceptional piece, heavy presence on the wrist.Now if they would (i am not saying could because i am 100% sure they can but for their own reasons don't!!!) replicate the correct

silver colour then that would be one heck of a rep!!!

Yeap you are correct there!!!

The thing is that the dial colour is way off...this is no minor flaw since it is the first thing you notice on this watch.But on the other

hand you should be very familiar with UN models to be able to know that detail!!!

Thats true John,99.9% of the people you meet will not have a clue about this watch. Most people i know have never heard of UN,Ulysess who? :lol: But I understand your disapoinmeant In reguards to the dial color. I only have one white dial rep,Breitling SA. I asked Josh If the dial was white or silver,he said that "It was difinitely white" he was right. I dont why the factories have such a hard time with white/silver dials :g: oh well, thanks again for your review :drinks: Mike

Hey Toad,good to see you around,hope all Is well :victory: