When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Restaurant recommendations in NYC?

Martyd3

The thing about New York is that there are tons of good restaurants to eat at depending on what you like in food and how much you want to spend. I'm a big fan of seafood and french cuisine so my first two recommendations would be Le Bernadin and Daniel. If you're looking for a bit more relaxed atmosphere then Gramercy Tavern is also very good.

Delmonico's is nice. I haven't been in a long time though.

My uncle (Mike) works at the Four Seasons NYC, my wife and I stayed there for our honeymoon in May. This is the place to be! Oprah, Jen Aniston, and God knows who else were staying there while we were there. You could dine there, I mean, they grind prime Fillet for burgers.. Just bring an extra kidney for the bill. I'd venture out. Across the street is Tourneau, and not too far down the street is Club A Steakhouse.

For one of our special romantic dinners, we went there, it was recommended to be one of the best in the city without spending $4K (save that for Tourneau!). It was sublime. You could be suave and take a cab to the four seasons (or walk if you are close by?), enjoy a drink in one of the restaurants there, then ask the concierge for directions to Club A Steak and enjoy a very short walk down a few of the most beautiful streets in the city.

Tell Bruno, the owner of Club A, that Big Mike from the Four Seasons referred you, and it is your wedding anniversary. I believe it will be worth your while. If you decide to cab to the four seasons and start there, see if Big Mike is at the door, tell him Daniel sent you to say hello!

Take a peak around upstairs if it isn't booked, digest your meal. Sit by the window with your wife for a moment and take in the experience. I hope you enjoy your anniversary. I know my wife and I will never forget our honeymoon. Here's the website for Club A-

http://www.clubasteak.com/

A picture I took from our room 40~ stories up in the Four Seasons. That is 5th Ave below.

IMG_3282XR.jpg

and the window I took it from-

IMG_3240R.jpg

If you notice by the wine and mozzarella, I'm Italian. I know food! :winkiss:

You could hit the Oak Room at the Plaza if you wanted to. its not belligerently priced, and while you're there, grab a horse drawn carriage ride across the street in central park. I haven't ate there in a while, so I cannot vouch for the food, but it is the Plaza, however the Plaza is "touristy".

The thing about New York is that there are tons of good restaurants to eat at depending on what you like in food and how much you want to spend. I'm a big fan of seafood and french cuisine so my first two recommendations would be Le Bernadin and Daniel. If you're looking for a bit more relaxed atmosphere then Gramercy Tavern is also very good.

Both Daniel and Le Bernadin are good choices. Daniel Boulud and Eric Ripert are two of the leading chefs in French cuisine nouveau. I had the pleasure of meeting Eric Ripert while i was working in Wylie Dufresne's restaurant WD 50 on the Lower East Side. I can however tell you that reservations for this weekend are not available unless you are named De Niro or Angelina Jolie.

Personally i would recommend Sparks Steakhouse at 210 East 42nd street. It's got great food, both steak, fish and lobster. The wine list is extensive, and the prices are reasonable. The place is also known for being the place where Paul Castellano was shot by John Gotti and Sammy Gravano.

I second Le Bernadin. Expect to pay min $350 per head. For us with wine and drinks, it was around $700 per head. Experience was truly spectacular. For a special occasion, it was well worth it.

If you go the high end route I would also suggest Picholine. Great taster menu with a wonderful selection of wines to go with the courses, If you are a cheese buff it is the only place to go. They have a fromageur who is wonderful. It will take 2-3 hours but a wonderful experience.

PLENTY of great steakhouses in NYC. My favorite right now is BLT steak (trendy and chic). Dylan Prime is another great one. Can't go wrong with Sparks (traditional) either. If you want to go really old school you can venture over to Brooklyn and try Peter Lugers. By far the most famous steak joint in New York. Be aware if you do, they only accept cash (and Peter Lugers credit card if you've got one) Tried Club A. Food is ok but has a weird cheesy vibe. Straight outta the 80's lounge singer upstairs and Samurai swords hanging from the ceiling downstairs What I imagine a gay S&M sex club would look like.

Would stay away from Ruth Chris, Morton's and Capital Grille. Good in other cities (Chicago per se) but not in NYC.

For romantic places apropos for an anniversary without reservations weeks in advance I would try, One if By Land Two if by Sea, Aureole, and River Cafe (Brooklyn) Good luck!

Edited by jot9011

Looks like you have enough great choices for dinner.

If you want to try something different for lunch and you like Asian food try "Kelley & Ping" (127 Greene Street in SoHo, (212) 228-1212 ).

Great food (their lemongrass-flavored dishes are very good) and watching people that come in to eat or shop ... I loved it (and I cook for a living...)