When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Let's talk about Gen vs .Rep Deployment buckles for a quick second

JuniorNA

Hey guys,

So i was bored and looking around on ebay to see how much B-ling tangs are going for, Dep. buckles, and "so called" OEM leather bands.

I noticed that most of the deployment buckles are around 450-500$ on ebay, which is about average if compared to your local GEN dealer. What i want to know really is, how the hell can you possibly tell if what you purchase (even at a store) is a gen since the reps are getting closer and closer to looking perfect nowadays.

B-ling is using 316L SS right ? Well so is the REP.

B-ling is using a clean engraving tool right? Well, the reps don't look stamped or oddly etched anymore, they look engraved.

how the hell are we supposed to tell the difference now, LOL. I can't even trust my GEN dealer because i brought in a SOSF with bad lume dots one time, and he swore up and down he could tell it was a GEN, and his words exactly "the lume dots are not always perfect, sometimes the watch passes through quality assurance (QA). I was about to tell him i purchased it from one of our reputable dealers, but i did not want to damage his ego since he gives me good deals on small accessories. (buckles/straps/links...etc)

Anyway, look at this deployment buckle here.

ebay Linky

Does anyone have a close up of a rep dep. clasp so I can see how the stamping is? compared to a GEN?

I'd really love to know if these ebay sellers are paying 20 bucks and selling them for 500$. It's entirely possible, and i wouldn't doubt it at all.

The rep deployant clasp are so good now It's hard for me to tell the difference by looking at a picture. I will need to buy one soon and you can bet your ass It wont be a gen,not for that kind of money :o

Thanks for the working link ChronoLuvvvv

ebay

But before you look at that link, You should know the pricing for the folding clasp on b-source with up to date prices put the clasp alone at 250-300, so why this ebay seller is going for 445 is beyond me!!!!!!

It's really a lot of coin to get a simple deployment clasp. If i had a Gen, and i already spend a large chunk of change on a Gen model, say 3 or 4 grand, even 5 grand. I would be fine with spending 25 bucks on a REP deployment. They work just as well, and again, we have no one to prove anything to. And even if we did, there would be proof of the GEN watch, no one could care about the rep deployment. As you can see i'm more wrapped up in what others thing, but I still can't see myself spending 500 bucks on a GEN when it's just stainless steel, and the same one with close etching, engraving, stamping (whichever it is) will do the job just fine. It shouldn't break any easier than a Gen, and it shouldnt lose it's shine any easier...both are 316L stainless. B-ling just knows how to do a good job of upping the price on everything they touch :)

a Gen tang buckle is around 50-70 from an AD i think. You can get the same one one on ebay for 10 bucks. And that one is not stamped, it has the raised insignia. So i guess my point is who cares when it comes to claps, and tangs, but still...I think there a lot of fakes out there on ebay.

What's stopping us from buying them for 10 bucks, and selling at 400 ? The ebay seller had a 98.2 % rating, so maybe it is real, or people just believe it's real.

Maybe those ebay sellers ARE one of us if you think about it, they would know a good REP from a bad REP, and would know what could pass off as a great clasp, or bad clasp. Just makes you think.

i have a friend that works at an AD, and sometimes even the stuff they get is a REP. The customer goes for a trade in, and THEY dont even know they are trading in a rep, or a rep leather band, or a rep bracelet. It's crazy how much is out there to confuse the general consumer public

Edited by JuniorNA

I will say it again as I have said it before...AUTHENTICWATCHES on Ebay or their site is a f@cking rip-off on any watch accessories!!! For what AuthenticWatches charges on just the Deployment clasp, you can go to your AD and buy the Breitling clasp with a Breitling Calf Strap and still have about $50 more in your pocket!

Search the Breilting forum for "Price List" I posted the actual 2009 price list as I got it from Breitling. If you can't find it, PM me and I will help you out.

Short and skinny...A Gen Breitling Deployment is $270 MSRP.

I paid for a gen deployant so that I could make custom straps for it. I also held one of the reps to make a strap for one of our members here. I would absolutely go for the rep deployant if I could find them regularly. If there are any differences, which I'm sure there are, most would not notice and the functionality is the same. Generally the clasps are near the $150 mark on the bay without strap. Gen gator straps are very pricey.....Quality is pretty good though....IMHO. Not worth what they go for, but good quality compared to most OEMs.

I paid for a gen deployant so that I could make custom straps for it. I also held one of the reps to make a strap for one of our members here. I would absolutely go for the rep deployant if I could find them regularly. If there are any differences, which I'm sure there are, most would not notice and the functionality is the same. Generally the clasps are near the $150 mark on the bay without strap. Gen gator straps are very pricey.....Quality is pretty good though....IMHO. Not worth what they go for, but good quality compared to most OEMs.

He wants to know about the Leather Strap deployment over the OR Deployment.

I would get a OR deployment and sent it to Black here...they are SOOOO SWEEET! I know...I have one.... :whistling:

He wants to know about the Leather Strap deployment over the OR Deployment.

I would get a OR deployment and sent it to Black here...they are SOOOO SWEEET! I know...I have one.... :whistling:

Yep, Understood. I was referring to the leather strap deployant. I have my gen 20mm one from my EVO and I purchased a gen 18mm one to make gator deployant straps. They are nice and A LOT cheaper than OEM....

yes, i agree with what everyone said above. but still, what's the noticiable differences between gen and rep? what is stopping someone that is knowledgeable on these forums to buy 10 rep deployment clasps at 10$ a clasp, and selling them on ebay for 250-300$.

Edited by JuniorNA

I agreeabout the ethics but I mean specifically what is the difference between rep vs. Gen. Is it stamping quality ? Steel quality ? The final finish ?

The only thing I have noticed Is the stampings are not as well finished. But this can only been seen under the closest of scrutiny,a non Issue as far as im concerned.

Ok. Just received my rep straps with Deployants. Major difference on one of them is the engraving of the logo. Rep is very shallow and does not exactly have the same details as Gen. However, this same deployant has better engraving inside of the clasp and matches the Gen very closely if not the same. On the other one, the engraving is spectacular on the logo. However the engraving inside is heavy handed and too thick where it says Breitling. The engraving where is says Model Depose looks as if it was silkscreened and not stamped/engraved.

As Mike says, the curve is slightly different rep to gen. I think quality control is one of the big thing that seperates Gen from Rep and I have two rep buckles that are vastly different in quality. If I switched parts between the two buckles, I would have a very near perfect one indistinguishable from Gen and a horrible copy that would stand out a mile away!

Hope this helps!

:drinks:

Ok. Just received my rep straps with Deployants. Major difference on one of them is the engraving of the logo. Rep is very shallow and does not exactly have the same details as Gen. However, this same deployant has better engraving inside of the clasp and matches the Gen very closely if not the same. On the other one, the engraving is spectacular on the logo. However the engraving inside is heavy handed and too thick where it says Breitling. The engraving where is says Model Depose looks as if it was silkscreened and not stamped/engraved.

As Mike says, the curve is slightly different rep to gen. I think quality control is one of the big thing that seperates Gen from Rep and I have two rep buckles that are vastly different in quality. If I switched parts between the two buckles, I would have a very near perfect one indistinguishable from Gen and a horrible copy that would stand out a mile away!

Hope this helps!

Thanks BB,good stuff :good:

Hope this helps!

I had exactly the same experience. The sikscreen effect you talk about is actually a method of laser etching. The technology is relatively cheap and does a very precise job, but it looks nothing like machine engraving.

I came across two buckles, one etched inside and engraved clasp, and the other engraved inside and etched b wings on the clasp. Swapped parts, the engraved one is 95% to the OEM. Loke everything GEN and REP, there are obviously differences (like quality of engraving etc) that can distinguish the two. The laser etched ones are clearly not GEN-like. Also, the finishing is evident, I've found the reps are not burnished properly and have sharp edges, a GEN would never have this. I had a closing issue on mine, a simple bending and it's OK now.

The dead giveaways on eBay? When a person claims in their post that they are selling a personal GEN item for whatever semi-plausible reason, and their selling history reveals about 15 similar sales with precisely the same listing... Who buys 15 straps and realizes that 'they just aren't for me'?

Common sense prevails, some Rubber straps in particular are almost 100% like the GENs, it males sense that there's a roaring eBay trade on such items.

Authenticwatches.com is probably all real, but thei markup is absurd and well over Breitling AD retail.

I had exactly the same experience. The sikscreen effect you talk about is actually a method of laser etching. The technology is relatively cheap and does a very precise job, but it looks nothing like machine engraving.

I came across two buckles, one etched inside and engraved clasp, and the other engraved inside and etched b wings on the clasp. Swapped parts, the engraved one is 95% to the OEM. Loke everything GEN and REP, there are obviously differences (like quality of engraving etc) that can distinguish the two. The laser etched ones are clearly not GEN-like. Also, the finishing is evident, I've found the reps are not burnished properly and have sharp edges, a GEN would never have this. I had a closing issue on mine, a simple bending and it's OK now.

The dead giveaways on eBay? When a person claims in their post that they are selling a personal GEN item for whatever semi-plausible reason, and their selling history reveals about 15 similar sales with precisely the same listing... Who buys 15 straps and realizes that 'they just aren't for me'?

Common sense prevails, some Rubber straps in particular are almost 100% like the GENs, it males sense that there's a roaring eBay trade on such items.

Authenticwatches.com is probably all real, but thei markup is absurd and well over Breitling AD retail.

Very good points. The only other issue is the tolerances as eluded to. Fit and finish are definitely different. Another note as mentioned, buy the seller before you buy the goods....Same thing applies here..... :whistling:

Absolutely... You get a vibe, one guy was buying really random 99 cent items and then reselling a Panerai strap as GEN. I don't think so.

Another guy's previous purchase was a woodgrained Mercedes Benz E Class steering wheel for 1500 Euros and was reselling a strap... At least the second guy was semi-plausible ;)

In every case, receipts receipts receipts. If they can copy a rubber strap and engrave metal to such stunningly precise accuracy, then they can certainly copy a barcode and some printing for a sticker to put onto a ziplock bag...

Buyer beware!

Absolutely... You get a vibe, one guy was buying really random 99 cent items and then reselling a Panerai strap as GEN. I don't think so.

Another guy's previous purchase was a woodgrained Mercedes Benz E Class steering wheel for 1500 Euros and was reselling a strap... At least the second guy was semi-plausible ;)

In every case, receipts receipts receipts. If they can copy a rubber strap and engrave metal to such stunningly precise accuracy, then they can certainly copy a barcode and some printing for a sticker to put onto a ziplock bag...

Buyer beware!

Sometime it's hard to tell also, because you'll see me selling and buying xbox 360 games, buying batteries and cases for my Android phone, then all of the sudden...BOOM, i'm selling a Gen dial, or a Gen panerai strep, or a Gen pilot bracelet (all legit by the way) and it throws people off because i don't usually sell that stuff, but when i do get my hands on it, i will sell them on ebay. So in that aspect it's hard to gauge. If you see the seller selling 5 panerai straps that "didnt fit" then there is an issue, but if you see me selling one strap, then a Gen bracelet in another month or 2, then it's legit. It's just really hard to tell because people's buying habits are strange, and you dont know who they are buying or selling for on their account also. Thats why ebay is very hard to figure out.

These did not come from you....

I purchased actual rep straps with two deployant buckles....

You know mine were not reps.....except for the buckle... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I guess you still think I am talking about the coach custom? :bangin:

Would you two like a moment? :thumbsupsmileyanim: