When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Have a Problem

ChasR

I purchased a Tag Carrera 43mm Automatic Day/Date Chronograph from a very trusted dealer on here recently and this morning when putting the watch on my wrist the reset pusher fell to the floor, can't recall catching it on anything at any time.

Apart from returning it to the dealer with all the carry on that goes with it is there a simple solution to repair it

I have attached some photographs

2u4ikgm.jpg

119vss2.jpg

2e2j69l.jpg

2cgj6vl.jpg

2udyyco.jpg

Cheers

Hi, the pusher needs a little u-shaped washer ring thing (forget the correct term, it's on the tip of my tongue... doh) attached to it from inside the case. It goes around that groove you can see on the pusher stem.

It's probably loose inside the case - look closely and carefully they are very small.

The pusher is fixed/attached with a small circlip from inside the case. Should be a simple matter of opening the case up, uncasing the movement and refitting.

If you've never worked with handling watch movements or repairs before, I would suggest finding an experienced and competent watch repair shop or watchmaker to handle this task. Should be fairly simple, and if parts are missing, they should have something on hand that they can likely use (i.e. that circlip, which should be floating about somewhere inside your case still).

Took the watch to two places today, first one said that he wouldn't touch it as he has had problems with replicas with screws and other bits breaking, said you get what you pay for and less.

Second place told me to leave the watch with them and they would see what they could do, probably Thursday before they would be finished with it, Even he didn't sound confident about repairing it

Most watchsmiths tend to be asshats (sorry, but so many experiences like this don't lie). Keep trying, break out the phone book and hopefully you will find a good one with a call or two.

Honestly, I think most of 'em are scared to do anything besides replace batterys anymore. Had he looked at the back and saw a 7750, he would not been able to assume it was the junk he's seen before.

Stripped a small and when a say small I mean small rubber band from the pusher from an old Seiko digital chrono and put it on to the Tag's pusher. All functions are operational and hopefully it will stay on, at least I have another three available if it goes again.

Getting the loose part out of your movement is far more important (to the health of your watch) than replacing the pusher. If the watch hacks (stops running when you pull the stem out to the time-setting position), I would hack it (not let it run) until you get that loose part out of there. Having a loose part inside your movement is a ticking =@

Getting the loose part out of your movement is far more important (to the health of your watch) than replacing the pusher. If the watch hacks (stops running when you pull the stem out to the time-setting position), I would hack it (not let it run) until you get that loose part out of there. Having a loose part inside your movement is a ticking =@

Congratulations on making the repair yourself. You are going to have to get the spare washer out of the movement though. Also if this does happen again with another watch you should consider returning it to the dealer. With most dealers it is not as difficult as you think. I have always done it and it has always worked out. At some level that is why we use the dealers we do.

Stripped a small and when a say small I mean small rubber band from the pusher from an old Seiko digital chrono and put it on to the Tag's pusher. All functions are operational and hopefully it will stay on, at least I have another three available if it goes again.

Cogratz on the fix but you definately want to get that part out of the watch,this Is also good experence :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Congratulations on making the repair yourself. You are going to have to get the spare washer out of the movement though. Also if this does happen again with another watch you should consider returning it to the dealer. With most dealers it is not as difficult as you think. I have always done it and it has always worked out. At some level that is why we use the dealers we do.

Cogratz on the fix but you definately want to get that part out of the watch,this Is also good experence :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Thanks for all your concerns

I don't know how to remove the winder to allow the workings to be removed from the case but from what I can see the original clip is not there. When the pusher fell out I pulled the winder out fully to stop the movement in case the clip entered the movement. I have shaken the watch quite vigorously but with the size of the broken part you wouldn't see it if it fell out

The first "watchmaker" I visited when he opened it up had a good look inside with his eye piece and said that he couldn't see anything, I left it with the second one who when I went to collect it said that after he had had a look at it he couldn't fix it so I have to assume the broken clip has fallen out.

I contacted my dealer as soon as it happened nearly two weeks ago but I haven't had a reply.

This is my fist rep and to have this happen so soon after receiving it(4 weeks)has left me doubting if I should purchase another one.