When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New PAM196H Daylight with "A7753" just released

babola

B, hows the dial strike you on the 196?

M, IMO this one is by far the closest of them all rep Daylights, as nice and as 1:1 as the latest 236/250. :victory:

DSN's latest was so close had it not been for slightly off dial numerals (4 and 8 in particular) and skinny Luminor Panerai text. So far I am unable to fault the new 196 dial, wouldn't mind hearing from others on this, though.

However, the fact remains, none of the dials and DWs on these new Daylights could be swapped with the genuine ones or installed on a gen ETA7753 mov't. :(

By my rough estimates and some preliminary measurements (from macro photo shots mainly) these dials will fit the older rep Daylights with A7750 perfectly.

Vac said he's just about to take one of those new "A7753" apart and report back to the boards...awaiting in anticipation and wish he'll prove my theory wrong.

cheers,

b

in all fairness, i dont think the datewindow is such a deal breaker people make it out to be. it's the only irreversible flaw on an otherwise very well executed rep.

True, there are few of us however that were planning a dial swap between the new 196 with the older EL-type we currently have which are powered by ETA7753. That's unlikely to happen now...that's all, really.

EL/Honpo dial that came with ETA7753 188/196 is good but the new one is slightly better.

I agree about these new Daylights being the best executed ones so far bar old-school Honpo/EL. The case-set cut and finish is unmatched, the dial finish and print also, and I'm sure the CG lever will be just a matter of shortening the crown stem a tad to lessen the pressure on a PVC/rubber lever insert and give the lever a little bit more 'breathing' space.

cheers,

b

Well, if you must have an ETA7753 you can always get a DSN dial (which is just a notch below these new dials in terms of accuracy) and movement separately and use this cartel model for its excelent case.

I bet you could get a full DSN 196 for $820 and part it out keeping only the movement and the dial to stay ahead of the game.

Well, if you must have an ETA7753 you can always get a DSN dial ...

That thought also crossed my mind, however his dial is matte black instead of jet black with many other small issues, so much so that I will most likely keep the original EL dial on my 196. I have an ETA7753 already, thanks :)

The new cartel 196 had it been made to fit the 'true' 7753 would have made a perfect choice for EL's ETA 196 mod, almost impossible to tell from the gen. Oh well...

I am still planning to get one of these new 196, wrong DW placement or not. The only thing to fix on them would probably be just the lever...and I'm sure that mod would be a doddle for most of us.

Well guys - this has been a hugely helpful discussion. I have two converted old case daylights with eta 7753's, working date change pushers, etc. But, those cases had to be heavily modded to accept the eta7753. I have the dsn dials in them to fit to the gen etas. I was considering trying to do a meld between the two of these, their dials, etc -- but I believe that you are right. These movements are not really clones of the ETA7753. They are modded 7750's in some manner to get the dw, etc to the right places.

I wonder if the cases can accept the ETA7753. A teardown of these is going to be super interesting.

trying to sort thru all this...

1) is the old skool Honpo, EL (or whatever we call it) non-recessed dial of the a7750 196 the same as the eta7753 196 -- with the exception of the date window placement?...

2) how does the new a7753 dial compare to both of these?...

this is tough to tell with all the watermarks on the dealer websites...

if i have understood it right, then in the new daylights is a modified asia 7750 with features of the eta 7753.

but the diameter of the datewheel is for the 7750, that's why the daylight dial-date-window sits in a position for a 7750 datewheel,

the swiss eta 7753 has a datewheel which has a slightly larger diameter.

that means, no gen swiss eta 7753 can be installed.

only a gen swiss 7750 with parts of the daylight asia modified 7750.

rolli

• 2 months later...

Trying to catch up here.

The new 196h, when you guys talk about the datewheel being off what are we talking about? Is the date window too close to the center or too far out?

Also as for being off, what are we talking about 1mm, 3mm? A noticable difference without holding it next to or comparing to a pic of a gen?

Trying to catch up here.

The new 196h, when you guys talk about the datewheel being off what are we talking about? Is the date window too close to the center or too far out?

Also as for being off, what are we talking about 1mm, 3mm? A noticable difference without holding it next to or comparing to a pic of a gen?

Its the angle of the DW its fractionally out. As is the font which is also fractionally thinner

Thanks Pete, is it safe to assume that when you say fractionally we are talking about something that is hard to pick up on unless you are doing a side by side or really know what you are looking for?

IMHO opinion yes mate but remember there are biger tells on the 196 than just the DW which is common on all the DLs

I think the CB is now correct, though if you buy one make sure it has the updated CB

But you have the Hex crown and RB CG lever, case etc that are bigger tells.

There is a thread somewhere here where the DW position is discussed and pictured with overlines to show angle difference but if you look at the 236 rep to gen review you can see the DW for yourself as its the same on all the DLs

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Pete hope you will forgive my ignorance here lol.

What is the hex crown and when you say RB CG lever are you refering to how the lever does not sit flush with the crown guard or something else?

I guess I am more worried about the datewheel position as that can't be fixed really. The crown and CG parts should be able to be modded.

On the hex crown Pete is referring to the fact that more modern PAM's have a hexagonally shaped crown tube and as a result need a hexagonal contact point. Also the RB refers to the roller ball on the tip of the CG lever. The 196 had an earlier CG without that ball bearing. If you are going to buy one of the A7753 Daylights I would do any except the 188 or 196 for those reasons. Those "upgrades" did not exist on the 188 or 196.

Pete hope you will forgive my ignorance here lol.

What is the hex crown and when you say RB CG lever are you refering to how the lever does not sit flush with the crown guard or something else?

I guess I am more worried about the datewheel position as that can't be fixed really. The crown and CG parts should be able to be modded.

No worries mate

The hex is on the crown as it sits against the case it is not on the gen

The RB is the roller ball on the lever where it contacts the crown its not on the gen

The case has the quick release system which is not on the gen

It was a gen series variation from J onwards

Thanks for putting up with me guys.

I have been looking at every post I can find on here about the new daylights and have been looking at all of the dealer pics, and any gen pics I can find as well trying to get an understanding of all of this.

The hex crown, I get what you are talking about but from looking at pics I can't see it, so I guess my thinking is if I can't see it in pics then it would only be a tell if someone had it in their hands and pulled the crown out to get a closer look. Is that correct?

The RB on the tip of the crown, so the gen does not have this but the rep does. Looking at the pics it seems as though you can see the RB on the side of the lever so it is something that can be seen. Would it be possible to source a different lever that does not have the RB in it?

Quick release, the gen does not have it but the rep does. I was looking at the pics on Josh's site, are we talking about the quick release button on the back of the lugs like on the 236? I see the button in the photos of the 236 but not on the back of the 196.

Here is my problem, almost all of my watches are sports watches and almost all are completely brushed. I am looking for something with a bit more "bling" to it without being over the top. I love the polished bezel and polished parts of the steel bracelet on the 196. So while on the metal bracelet it has the "bling" I can also put it on a rubber strap for a more tonned down sporty look. About the only other option would be to go for a 162 but I have read that the subdial color is off, and for all I know it has all of the same problems as the 196.