When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Navi Cosmonaute with 7750!

importr

Just surfing about before, and I came across this

http://www.silix-prime.com/bres073-p-2514.html

I never knew they'd repped the Cosmo to use a 7750!

I'm not a Cosmo fan, and there's a number of glaring flaws.....but I just wondered if anyone had bothered to try one? If so, does it have the correct 24hr hour wheel?

4e0eec9d38bb7918148a1f252afba11a.image.733x550.jpg

Interesting piece. I'm also curious as to whether its modified to run as a 24 hr clock, but I'd highly doubt that. Caseback looks to be a better shape than the standard Navis too. I believe the gens are a manual wind lemania movement, so I guess they decided to go with the date window (poorly placed) rather than an accurate manual wind movement with display back. The subdials are way to far apart and the datewindow is too far outboard, but thats what you get when you substitute movements.

Bottom line, if it runs at 24hrs, its a nice rep. If not, forget it.

The gen...

Breitling-418.jpg

The current cosmonaute uses the Breitling Calibre 22 that is based on the 2892-A2 ETA movement and is a self wind chronograph with flyback complication. The earlier version of the Cosmonaute was produced until 1991 but was available on sale new until 2002. I wish they replicated the early version as this one didn't have a datewheel and was based on the lemania 1873/1877 movements. The fact that this version had no date would make the replica much more accurate.

7753? Its definitely not.

Lemania movement? good thought, but no.

The reason they used the modified A7750 for this one is that the subdial position and function matches the gen. Neither of the above movements has a running seconds at 3:00, and the lemania doesn't even ave a 6:00 subdial. Both would have been epic fails.

So the gen uses a modded version of the 2892-A2 - which is similar to the 50th Anniv Navi, with secs @ 3.

Both (gen) watches have the offset crown and pushers. Unlike the gen 7750 & 7753, with are inline.

The close subdial arrgt of the a7750 (PO Chrono v2) would've made the Cosmo rep excessively thick, not to mention exacerbate the sunken DW, so that's out.

The Seagull "Lemania" can be factory fitted with an auxiliary hour wheel, can it not? which operates the subdial @6 (re: MoonWatch rep) and many owners 'freeze' this hand. However, the subdial spacing is still wrong.

As bad as it sounds, they would be more successful if they used a modified Miyota OS20 with modded hour wheel, and re-print the running secs to 6 o'clock. The subdials are close and the DW is flush. The font being wrong, but still an improvement over the current one which looks like Arial Narrow bold. Oh, and they'd also have to freeze the hand @3, as that reads in 24hrs! lol

I think i just killed my own theory!!

A long time ago, I did buy a cheap Cosmo rep to try. It did have a 24hr operation, but the subdial registers were calendar functions, and the chrono hand was running seconds.

Looks like they'll never rep this one correctly.

• 2 months later...