When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

International Travel With A Rep...

LAWatchFan

Hello All,

Haven't posted two much on the new RWG, but I have a question...

I'm about to travel from the USA to England (Filton, Bristol) in a couple of weeks on business. Should I leave my reps at home? Or is it safe to wear one?

I mean, I know that it is an icecube's chance in hell that someone working in customs would also be a WIS. But still, is better not to even risk it? Does anyone have experience with this?

Also, if anyone is from (or has been to) Bristol, do you have any recommendations on sights that I shouldn't miss? I won't have much free time while I'm there, but I've never been to Europe and I want to see SOMETHING. Haha.

Thanks in advance,

-Pete

Pete and everyone else,

This is a bit weird for a first post, but I thought it might be useful if I contributed my experiences (some of you may remember me from RWG1 so it's not really a first post :rolleyes:).

I fly transatlantic (usually Miami ⇔ London ⇔ Stockholm) on average once every 2 months, have done so for the past two years. I usually have a full 4- or 6-watch rosewood watchbox in my checked luggage. During customs inspection (agriculture upon reentering the U.S.) eyebrows have been lifted, the last time I reentered which is about a month ago, I was wearing a Santos 100, and my watchbox contents were a TT Sub, a TT Daytona, a PAM 212 and a Broad Arrow.

I was asked whether I could provide receipts for the four watches in the box, they did not demand it of me but I was cautioned that I should either bring them with me or exit-declare them before boarding the outbound leg of the flight.

The question of genuineness did not arise, however the watches were taken away for inspection along with some other things (laptop, external USB harddrive, cellphone) and were out of my sight for a brief while. It did not seem like any special attention was given to them, though.

Several other times when I have carried two or more reps in my carryon luggage, they have been inspected during the new boarding procedure at Heathrow (second screening right before boarding). It has seemed that the point of interest have been that they are actually running (keeping time, being only watches), not whether they are genuine or not. This has only happened once when boarding in the U.S. but seems to be the norm in England.

I have never had any problems entering Sweden, only curious looks and polite compliments.

On a side note, if I'm wearing a Navi I usually get a comment from the pilot crew when I deboard if I happen to be walking next to them making conversation on my way to customs, or if I'm next to one of them during agriculture (upon entering the U.S.). Never been called out, just compliments in passing :D

The conclusion to this is that I won't take my watchboxes with me anymore just to avoid hassle, but I never have problems wearing a rep, and I'll probably stick a second one in my carryon.

Marcus.

PS. I have the same forum name over on flyertalk.com, so if anyone just so happens to be using the BA (I always fly BA, company policy) lounge calendar for meeting up over a drink and some small talk, feel free to hit me up :)

I usually take one on each arm, and a Timex quartz for any swimming/sauna in my bag.

I've had no problems in Copenhagen with a PT Yacht Master, and no problems in Lithuania with a PAM036 and a MBW TT Silver Serti dial (the clubber's choice :Jumpy:), although when I took them off for customs on the way back home to England, I got a funny look. One guy was looking at the movement of the PAM036 with curiosity. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Anyway, off to Stockholm on 13th Oct, so I'll see how that goes, don't expect any problems, just have to figure out which watches to take and how many. :o

Bristol......Bristol.......whoa......I wouldn't take a gun to Bristol......they're liable to rob you of it.....!

They eat their babies in Bristol......in fact I hear that in Bristol.....when they see a helicopter overhead.....they threw bread at it....shouting..."look at the big bird mama"......!

Not safe at all.....!

Bristol......Bristol.......whoa......I wouldn't take a gun to Bristol......they're liable to rob you of it.....!

They eat their babies in Bristol......in fact I hear that in Bristol.....when they see a helicopter overhead.....they threw bread at it....shouting..."look at the big bird mama"......!

Not safe at all.....!

Bristol? Naaah!

Brixton, now we're talkning!

I'm off to Thailand with my Seiko-on-Bob on Thursday. What I return with is a different matter. :D

Looking forward to see what you take back from Thailand. Can't wait for the pics. :D

I'm off to Thailand, Laos and Cambodia for 1 month begin November. Also with just a Seiko Monster on a NATO strap. Hope I'll take a lot of reps with me when I return. :lol:

Looking forward to see what you take back from Thailand. Can't wait for the pics. :D

To be honest, I'm not going Rep Hunting. Sure, I'll take a look, but I know better than to think I can find some bargains. I may, however, pop over to TTK's Watch Emporium and pick a few beauties from his mountains of stock in his massive warehouse. :D

What? He doesn't have a warehouse? Ok, his huge multi-floored shop then. :Jumpy:

ps. Neil, I'll skype you tomorrow. I've got a Thai mobile number now.

pps. Here's a pic I took last time I was over in Thailand. No watches in sight.

123538-20960.jpg

I live in Paris and fly to many European locations. Been to Asia too and never had a problem. But I only take the watch I wear. I always thought it was taking a risk to have more than one. No sence in taking a chance. Also, I only take a watch I would not mind loosing. I try to cover all bases.

Usil

I regularly travel to the US, France and Italy with a rep or two. Never had a problem - I would avoid taking more than one and avoid wearing Rolex for a smooth journey through customs.

The UK is fine about reps, if you were stopped by customs and ended up with a WIS who called you out, just tell him it was a present and you were told it was gen.

If you are travelling to Bristol, I would recommend Bath (http://www.visitbath.co.uk/) which is a short train ride away. Plenty of history and a pleasant place to spend a day. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I travel internationally quite frequently as well. My rule of thumb is one on the wrist and no more than two in a two watch leather case (which is well worn at this point). I carry them in my carry-on (since I virtually never check luggage anymore). On international flights they are looked at quite frequently and complimented as well. :D

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think I'll stick to one on my wrist. But, I was planning on my LV. Maybe I'll wear my Fiddy (though it's a bit large to wear with a suit). I think I'll just chance it with the Rolex.

In regards to the sights. After some advice, I hope to visit Clifton Village and the suspension bridge. Also, I've heard good things about Bath, but I'm not sure I'll get enough time to get there.

Also, thanks for the PM, Doc. You guessed correctly.

I tried to reply, but you mailbox is full.

*edited because I can't spell*

Edited by LAWatchFan

I've travelled to Australia, Hong Kong, Austria, Spain and Amsterdam in the past year wearing various reps (even had to put my 196 with ss/ti bracelet through the scanner as it set the metal detector off) without a query.

Edited by baltic