When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Lume - Just fascinates me!

PeteM

I was going through some old threads here catching up on things posted when I was away.

I saw a thread by my old mate Mr. R, he was asking about dial texture. Anyway I thought I would take some pics to send him. I got the watch out and took a few pics but when I looked at them I noticed how the shadow of the camera had caused the lume to light up even in the bright daylight I mean I know how much the lume can do this but just the way a very insignificant and small shadow can bring it out!! I also love staring at that logo !! This is the most simple dial faced PAM I own and I always ask myself when I occasionally wear it why I dont wear it more often??!!! For me it sums up what a PAM is all about :) :)

It drove home to me how much I really enjoy the lume of the PAMs (sad maybe but I blame RWG for creating me that way !! :D ) and how fascinating various angles can be in varying lights. Here are a few pics, I wish I had the skills of a lot of you guys to really show off this great aspect of the PAMs. Plus a few of the dial texture just for Rob ;)

I think the same can be said for Vac and Zig relume work. I often notice that half of the markings on my Vac/Zig relumed dials are glowing because part of the dial had been exposed to ambient light while the other half hadn't. Plus the Aqua colour of the lume really looks so much better than that standard rep green.

I think the same can be said for Vac and Zig relume work. I often notice that half of the markings on my Vac/Zig relumed dials are glowing because part of the dial had been exposed to ambient light while the other half hadn't. Plus the Aqua colour of the lume really looks so much better than that standard rep green.

Much as I would like to agree I dont think I can, having had all of those lumes myself on watches there is a difference that seperates the gen but maybe thats the overall aspect of the gen lume that cant be recreated as a whole thats influencing me. I mean in terms of sharpness, height, for example but not limited to. Admittedly that threshold (quality) drops even more once you bring DSNs lume etc into the equation.

Admittedly that threshold (quality) drops even more once you bring DSNs lume etc into the equation.

I'm sorry Pete, I was going to cave to your gen experience, until you mentioned DSN lume. I don't know how many Zig/Vac lumed pieces you've had, but DSN lume looks like cheap factory rep in comparison to them, so if you believe his lume makes the 'threshold (quality) drop' between gen and rep, then factoring in the vast improvement Zig/Vac reluming is over DSN .... :)

I'm sorry Pete, I was going to cave to your gen experience, until you mentioned DSN lume. I don't know how many Zig/Vac lumed pieces you've had, but DSN lume looks like cheap factory rep in comparison to them, so if you believe his lume makes the 'threshold (quality) drop' between gen and rep, then factoring in the vast improvement Zig/Vac reluming is over DSN .... :)

I agree totally, I have reread what I said and to me it makes sense, but that dont mean it does to everyone else :) I meant if you bring DSN into it, his quality of lume drops even further from what Zig and Vac do. I am still reading what I wrote and it seems to say that to me....

What I meant was once you bring DSN into the discussion there is no comparison to Zig and Vacs lume in relation to the gen lume. Zig and Vac are the closest you will get to gen currently.

So .....Zig and Vac good.......DSN not :)

I don't think that DSN lume is that crappy.

This is his latest 111E dial on my 01b

As a simple lume then no its not .......but thats not what we are saying here mate :)

If I just wanted to see my watch in the dark then I would be happy to have DSNs lume

Sorry about my post. I didn't see GEN in the title at first.

No mate dont be, it was nice to see the pic :thumbsupsmileyanim: thanks for sharing. I will remove Gen as I meant all lume really ;)

It does surprise me though that considering how much stock we put in luming of reps that we dont have a lume shot section. A lot of forums out there do have a section dedicated to just lume shots. I would love to see that here :)

Especially with some of the photo skills our members have I bet there would be some awesome pics and a good reference source to share.

Pete M; With regard to your original pictures at the start of this thread, about a month ago I was in an AD in La Jolla CA and they had over 30 Pams on display for sale. They were all under small relatively weak incandescent recessed lighting in a tall ceiling. Every Pam was as green as a early DSN product picture. There was no way to tell the true white/yellow cream color that uncharged numbers are supposed to be. I had never experienced that in a AD before and I was really surprised. But I think it underwrites your experience with your Pams sensitivity towards charging the lume and gen Pams sensitivity.I have a bakers dozen of modded and lumed Pams (All by The Zigmeister or Vac)and I am always amazed at how much they will glow in their glass topped watch box after the over-head light is turned off or dampened.

Rogerwine

It's all about the quality and amount of lume and of course the application. The main reason why Zig and Vac bring a typical rep much closer to gen is that they are using a true tritec super lume. That is what Panerai uses. Most reps use a lower end lume. Zig and Vac apply the lume by hand and that is why a good artistic hand is critical. Both rep and gen manufacturers (at least on non sandwich dials) are silk screening on the lume which enables them to ensure proper placement and even distribution. That is why a gen dial can look better - machine rather than free hand. Sandwich dials are another story. If you can properly mix the lume (a big if)anyone can do it. Here is what the under dial of a gen Fiddy looks like:

IMGP1867.jpg

What many people don't know is that there is an even better quality lume than what gen Panerai uses. Can't remember what it is called but it is way more expensive than super lume. Ziggy offers it to select customers but it is relatively rare, very expensive and actually puts the gen lume to shame.

for the modern pams I prefer vacc's work too, for my vintage watches I use the stuff from GlowInc. it glows as long as vacc's lume, but of course you don't get that correct color under daylight - but that's no problem for vintage watches.

vacclumed 177h (hands are noctilumed, watch is a 111h now with correct hands):

lume03.jpg

my work on my vintage pams:

lume01.jpg

We really need a Lume shots section !!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

First time I saw the sandwich dial split I thought exactly the same.

WM I think that rare lume is called the LionelRitchie ;)

hey Pete....lonnnnnnnng time... :drinks:

nice post... :good:

here's a couple of my fav Pam lume shots...

1. My 000 - The Zigmeister applied genuine Tritec superlume Grade A - which is the brightest and longest lasting of all the lumes...and to see it is to believe it...

@Watchmeister - this is what you were referring to here: "What many people don't know is that there is an even better quality lume than what gen Panerai uses. Can't remember what it is called but it is way more expensive than super lume. The Zigmeister offers it to select customers but it is relatively rare, very expensive and actually puts the gen lume to shame."

img6629p.jpg

2. My 252 - The Zigmeister applied genuine Tritec superlume blue; very cool....dare to be different...

img4642croppedmedium.jpg

3. My 177 - LH dial, flavr flav lumed...an awesome piece that's pure PANERAI...

pam1777.jpg

pam1779.jpg

pam1779a.jpg

1777v.jpg

Sweet Pics R !!! Great macros very impressive.....Even I cant see the six and LSML that well with my eyes when the dialsin my hand !!!!

Love that blue!! OOOoooooo :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Nice share :)

Take my word for it mate it is called LIonelRitchie !!

I bet you can that lot from space !!! :) Great pics UR, a man after my own heart !!

Never seen the UN lume but I am getting a Lum-Tec A6 as that inverse lume is something I want to see myself!! ;)

A3

I don't think that DSN lume is that crappy.

This is his latest 111E dial on my 01b

RGRYM050.jpg

To play Diablo Advocatus on this one, most of the Lume shots vary from 1 to 2 seconds, from the small seconds this looks like a 10 second exposure.

Interesting thread ;o)

Cool pics…. Who is the lume on the Pam 127 in the left above corner from??? That one burns. B)

That aint a 127 :)

Its a gen RXW MM20 :D Just like marinamm20's

subbiesrock: I agree...still it looks pretty

Full list of pieces from 12 o'clock centre clockwise;

Montblanc Sport

Anonimo Professionale Mod.6003

LH 111I modded (Goin relume)

Anonimo Dino Zei Nautilo Bronze

Modded Seiko Monster (Yobokies milspec seamaster dial, plongeur hands, blaster case and bracelet, sapphire crystal)

BK/WM9 v3 Submariner

Modded PAM002A (Goin relume)

Modded PAM232I (DSN dial)

Vintage 6152/1 4 liner (Noctilume)

Seiko Orange Monster

DSN 040B (DSN stock lume)

RXW MM20

Edited by unregistered