When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I am gonna guess Puretimes 1665 doesn't have a gen Swiis ETA in it, where can a slow beat eta movt be procured at?

Prsist

I am assuming it has an Asian 2846 clone? The age old debate, do you swap out with an ETA? From my understanding sending it off every 5 years for a service would return some longevity in the movts life. If I was to do some major mods an ETA movt would perhaps 20-30 years? Is my thinking correct?

With ETA clamping down on selling their movts is it next to impossible to find a slow beat movt?

Most of the Swiss ETA 2846 movements out there are old stock anyways, I believe; that is not a current production movement to my knowledge, so even with the changes in distribution ETA is introducing, that wouldn't have much of an effect on availability.

If you are set on having a confirmed Swiss 2846, I'd keep an eye out for a complete donor watch with this movement inside. Shouldn't be very expensive, and may have better luck than trying to find a movement a la carte (though I still see those available from time to time as well).

I agree with Ubi. The (21.6k bph) 'slow beat' 2846 was removed from ETA's product line-up in late 2005 or early 2006. In any case, most of these movements that found their way into rep watches were either used when they went in or old (unserviced) stock. Like most mechanical movements, properly (& regularly -- like most mechanical movements -- every 5-7 years) serviced, these are very accurate movements which should remain serviceable for a lifetime. Search ebay for used watches -- gen & rep -- that contain the ETA2846.

The 2846-2 in my PT 1665 is a swiss eta. A screw fell out of one of the gears and became lodged in the movement, stopping it dead- off to the watchmaker I went. He fixed it and confirmed that it was a swiss movement. I'm not aware of this movement being cloned at this point. Of course I also wonder where the heck they are getting all of these movements from.

Like freddy says, it hasn't been produced in quite a few years.

I was also told that the 2846 in my PT 1680 is a genuine Swiss ETA.

If you're worried about the movement, I would follow Freddy's advice and keep and eye out on Ebay. There are lots and lots of fairly low end watches out ther with older ETA movements, some are NOS, some are pretty well used, but if the movement is running, more than likely all it will need is a service to keep it ticking for years to come