When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

FYI on height of date wheel overlays

chiman12

I've been having problems with my date function advancing on my franken Rolex Date. After many tear downs, it seems that the date flips properly without the gen dial in place, but yet the date advance sticks with the gen dial installed. I eventually determined that the datewheel overlay is higher than the dial rest of my ETA 2824. With this in mind, I found a solution to resolving this issue and it involves the dial rest from the ETA 277X movements. They are solid semi circles, unlike the 2824 ones that are thin full circles. I discovered that the the height of the 277x dial rests are a tad taller than the 2824 ones and this resolved the sticking or rubbing issue that I previously had. What I simply did is bend the two 277x dial rests a bit and test fitted them on my 2824. Then I epoxied them onto the movement...one up and one down.

Here are some pics...

P1013742.jpg

Notice how much higher the dial rest sits above the date wheel overlay...

P1013744.jpg

Now with the gen dial reinstalled, just enough space so that the date wheel rotates freely, but not wide enough that it leaves an unsightly gap...

P1013746.jpg

I checked on CousinsUK on the cost of the 277x dial rests and they sell them for about $6.30 each, yes they are pricey, but at least it is a solution to the date wheel sticking and not advancing...