When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's the word lately on Silix?

TeeJay

Remember a few years back I said I would never use Silix ever again? Well, I must be getting soft in my old age, as the other day I was browsing the site, and saw a couple of 'must buy' watches... A budget black-dialled Airking, and a Sea-Dweller (Not a DSSD, but the 16600) on special offer. Now, I'm hoping to have some inheritance money through, which will mean projects can finally be finished, and I'm wondering, should I give Silix another try as a source, or should I stick to my previous position and leave well alone? Thanks in advance for any input :good:

He (she?) seems to be good to some of the guys on HomageForum, with decent prices for parts and quick delivery times.

I think the general consensus is there's still a lot of 'crap' on the sites for Jo Public who has no idea, but that they are providing some decent quality stuff too.

That's just what I've read though, I've not ordered personally!

He (she?) seems to be good to some of the guys on HomageForum, with decent prices for parts and quick delivery times.

I think the general consensus is there's still a lot of 'crap' on the sites for Jo Public who has no idea, but that they are providing some decent quality stuff too.

That's just what I've read though, I've not ordered personally!

The issue I have, is that I received drop-shipped watches which were not really up to the mark of something which had been QCd, as well as not receiving other goods ordered, so my confidence in them is not good, and in the past, I have even advised others to stay away from them based on those experiences, and similar experiences from others. However, the SD being on a monthly promotion, I'm thinking is too good an opportunity to pass up, hence my dilemma. I know businesses can and do change, I'm just wondering if they have...

Ordered from the cheap section, they sent me pics of watch to inspect before shipping. No faults with service for price paid, but hey the wind direction changes all the time :)

That definitely sounds positive, thanks for the info :good: Hoping to be making progress on the Daytona project soon :drinks:

If slow response times try your patience, I would stay away. Similarly, if you are neurotic about accuracy, keep fishing. But if you are VERY patient, not too critical about realism & see something on Silix that catches your eye, order away.

Well, this is the thing, accuracy has never been one of my key priorities, the issues I had with the watches I previously received from Silix, was that the Sub was the wrong model from what I'd ordered, and the X-33s had real cosmetic flaws, ie missing faux-screws in the caseback, and nearly flat batteries. It was more poor quality/sloppy manufacture (compared to other watches I've bought), rather than inaccuracy in replication which annoyed me in those instances, not to mention never receiving the Jubilee bracelet I'd ordered, but, I put that down to the nature of the game :pardon: I guess you're happy ordering from them as project donor parts, and that's reassuring, as that's essentially what I want the SD for (just need the mid-case/bezel assembly) The Air-King just caught my eye, as I haven't seen many of those available. I might see how I feel when the cash comes through, and if it comes through before the SD deal finishes, I might give it a spin and see what happens :) Thanks for the feedback :drinks:

I have bought several from Silix with no problem. I think the only one I have left is my Turn-O-Graph but I really like it and it was cheaper 'n dirt!

It's certainly sounding like they've improved their practices since I last ordered from them, I might have to give them a try :) On another note, after the madness which has been the last 8 weeks, progress is being made on the dial design, and I'm hoping to have it completed in the next few days :) Can't apologize enough for it having taken this long.

I had no problems with Jee lately. Bought a cheap $55 watch, good service, and I promptly took it apart and used the various parts I was after.

Thanks for the feedback :) If the cash comes through in time, I might just have to make the order and see what happens :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this is the thing, accuracy has never been one of my key priorities, the issues I had with the watches I previously received from Silix, was that the Sub was the wrong model from what I'd ordered, and the X-33s had real cosmetic flaws, ie missing faux-screws in the caseback, and nearly flat batteries. It was more poor quality/sloppy manufacture (compared to other watches I've bought), rather than inaccuracy in replication which annoyed me in those instances, not to mention never receiving the Jubilee bracelet I'd ordered, but, I put that down to the nature of the game :pardon: I guess you're happy ordering from them as project donor parts, and that's reassuring, as that's essentially what I want the SD for (just need the mid-case/bezel assembly) The Air-King just caught my eye, as I haven't seen many of those available. I might see how I feel when the cash comes through, and if it comes through before the SD deal finishes, I might give it a spin and see what happens :) Thanks for the feedback :drinks:

I didn't know a rep of the X-33 was produced? Do you have pics you could share in another thread?

I have bought several from Silix with no problem. I think the only one I have left is my Turn-O-Graph but I really like it and it was cheaper 'n dirt!

Good infor on Silix as I have wondered about him myself. JMB: I'd love to see pics of your Turn-o-graph. It is rare for me to find other admirers of the watch. I have a white dial in need of a servicing once I get round to it.

I didn't know a rep of the X-33 was produced? Do you have pics you could share in another thread?

I don't have many, but here's what I have :) This was a funny watch, and I have very mixed feelings about it. I mostly wanted it because its commection to Minority Report, but I never really bonded with it as a watch till I put it on the rubber strap. I would normally say that a rep is as good as a gen, but in this case, because of the digital functions (and insanely loud alarm) I think this may be an instance of the gen being a neccessity if the functions are to be used. As an aesthetic representation of the X-33, it's not too bad (but far from perfect :whistling: )

DSCN0581.jpg

DSCN0583.jpg

4c7f4a47.jpg

DSCN0437.jpg

DSCN1070.jpg

DSCN1069.jpg

I don't have many, but here's what I have :) This was a funny watch, and I have very mixed feelings about it. I mostly wanted it because its commection to Minority Report, but I never really bonded with it as a watch till I put it on the rubber strap. I would normally say that a rep is as good as a gen, but in this case, because of the digital functions (and insanely loud alarm) I think this may be an instance of the gen being a neccessity if the functions are to be used. As an aesthetic representation of the X-33, it's not too bad (but far from perfect :whistling: )

That is a pretty decent attempt!

I notice some obvious tells: the lug horns, seconds tip, digital display, caseback, bezel, bracelet links, and clasp. I know what to look for because I have the gen 1 version but your copy is scary close.

What functions does the watch have? The gen has the following (in order):

- Mission Time

- Digital Time

- Day/Date/Month/Year

- Alarm

- Mission Elapse Time

- Mission Elapse Alarm

- Universal Time

- Universal Time Alarm

- Countdown

- Chronograph

I assume the case and bracelet is stainless steel or did they use Ti, like on the gen?

Here are a couple pics of my gen 1

post-20257-0-53762100-1288551543.jpg

post-20257-0-41064600-1288551545.jpg

post-20257-0-09064300-1288551547.jpg

post-20257-0-89376800-1288551548.jpg

post-20257-0-67240900-1288551553.jpg