When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can't Access Rwi From Home

baltic

It blocks me with Tesco broadband from home. It's only started to happen over the last few weeks.

The only way I've been able to fix it is going through a porxy - if you're able to use a VPN server (?!) ie. from work, go through that instead. The site I've been using proxy information from is Proxy Servers. I generally try have to try a few before it works - I've had more success with 'transparent' servers (I'm not sure how secure this is), just make sure you've got a decent up-to-date firewall. I generally turn the proxy settings on when I use RWG, and disable it the second I leave! If anyone has any advice on the safety of using a proxy, I'd be interested to find out more.

Any techy types out there who would know why I can't access RWI from home but can from work/internet cafe? I'm in the UK on IE via Blueyonder broadband.

Any help greatly appreciated :D

Yes, their webhost is [censored]. My ISP at home is blocked too, as are several others. Their host knows nothing about this.

I have to connect via a proxy (using /etc/hosts to spoof the IP) at my work to connect from home. No, I can't help you connect, but if you google for free open proxies, it might help.

Same error accessing for me too. Has anyone told them over on the forum about this?

Repeatedly. I've been in touch with their webhosts too, who can't see what the issue is, because they can connect from everywhere.

I know what the problem is, but they won't listen to me. They have a router very close to the server that's acting up. The DNS servers for RWI don't even respond as the packets are lost through what I imagine is bad routing tables.

Is it just a coincidence that the majority of people having issues are based in the UK, or certainly Western Europe?

No. It's a routing issue so it would make sense that it'd affect pockets within a fixed geographical area.

Maybe this is why we have better access, through a better server,.... which costs more????

To be honest, this has nothing to do with the cost. I could host this site on a server costing significantly less than what this one is, and the only difference would be the loss of anonymity. It's the anonymity that costs, and how!

Woh am I out of my depth here :lol:

Sorry, I manage large servers for a living. I'll try to tine down the geekspeak next time. :D