When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Sea Dwelller, vintage SD and Explorer I questions

omega64

I swore you i have read 2000 posts on that watches, but i did not find some bits of information i need to buy something without mistake.

I like the SD. I have some "demanding" underwater experiences and i like that kind of tool watches. As more people know, the problem is the price.

I was waiting for the WM9 SD, as it promised to be good, but we can not count on it after some recent data, in my opinion.

I investigate the DSSD, but while there is very good rep and ready avalaible, it is too big for me. I prefer a lot the 40mm size over the 43mm. I discard it after some days reading.

Found the super SD. But they discontinued it lately. :thumbdown:GRRRRRR !!

I found some "newbie" SD or things like that (i suposse not very good reps) and i do not ask for stock.

So i start to see vintage. If the watch is 40mm, has good water resistance and has the SD "pedigree" vintaged but new can be a plus. Problem : i am not sure i like plexy glass. I much prefer the look of saphire and the concenience too.

I search dealers and the mess get bigger. A lot of watches with no real stock. Difficult.

So, here i am on knees asking for some expert help:

There is any "good" 40-41mm Sea Dweller avalaible now, best with shapire crystal, vintage or not vintage. Somewhere ?

You know the searching could be nice if you like it, but i have no watch here and i would like to start knowing what time is it without looking at the mobile phone. I need to order now and i know a lot of things about these wathes but not what is relevant to order them, which, who ..

Please give me some expert help. :) :) :)

Boy that's a great request. I admire your perseverance!

The best advice is to find an MBW. A vintage MBW 1665 (the old SD) will come up for sale sometimes and that's a great starting point. But it will have the domed plexi crystal. To me, that is THE classic diving tool watch.

I know there were some very good newer SDs with flat crystals, but I don't like that look so I know nothing about them.

My advice is to go vintage.

Good luck!

Like the two guys above, who are Rolex experts, and I mean they KNOW their Rolex watches, I would stick to something off the sales corner. Either a MBW 1665 with or without mods would be a great starting point, and if you are looking for a contemporary Rolex, the WM9/BK Submariner is hard to beat. looking at the new watches that are for sale, I really don't see anything that really shouts to me. As you said the DSSD is too big and bulky. Also I believe that with the construction of the watch and the crystal attachment, it will be hard to waterproof. I had mine relumed amd the movement serviced, and the watchmaker told me that it probably wasn't water resistant. Sure enough I put it in my tester and it failed. Leaked around the crystal. I say this because it sounded like from your post you're looking for a watch that is or could be made water resistant. As far as the rest of the modern Submariners or SD's, I know very little.

Post a Want to buy and keep looking on the sales forum. These two watches, the MBW 1665 and the WM/BK Sub are both very popular, so if you see one, you better move fast or it will be gone.

Thank you for the help.

I am sourcing a Super SD with mods and perhaps it could be a good starting point to cover my particular needs of water resistance, personality, prestige, style, intented use, etc. The SD is the watch i think will fit my personal niche better. Price is not very high and dealer is trusted very high.

It is difficult these days to obtain a good one.

If WM9 ever honour its preorder clients i will recover faith in commercial people. I am not biased, i just apply common sense.