When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSSD Comparison

Tomhighway

I had the other day the opportunity to compare both Genuine and replica Deep Sea and thought Id make a few observations on the differences.

The picture im afraid is a little dark as I was not able to spend some time getting the light correct but it shows both models reasonably well .The replica version I am unsure of but it is rather good imo .

The most glaring differences to me between them are the following :

1. The replica has a black dial which is too glossy, the original`s dial is a subtle black almost extremely dark graphite colour.

2.Bezel fonts too thin and the click is rather loud and cheap sounding .

3.The inner bezel with the engraving on the genuine is deeper than the replica . In other words on the replica it is closer to the glass .This is very noticeable when you see them both together. Also the printing is a little too dark and blobby here.

4 . `Deep Sea ` dial font is too thick on the replica.

5.Swiss made is spaced out too far on the replica.

6.The clasp on the original has a good satin almost sand blasted finish, the replica is pretty shoddy with blobby printing .

7 . The Rolex emblem on the underside of the divers extension is properly stamped on the genuine as oppossed to engraved on the replica.

8.The bezel pearl is too bulbous and slightly too green in colour but to be honest a very good example here.

9. Helium valve has an extra ring/collar which is different to the genuine.

Thats about it!!

Overall a very good attempt with this model. What does always worry me is the quality of the parts used in the manufacture of the Glidelock clasp, it looks very accurate but will it hold up to regular useage?

TomH

post-868-0-07813200-1289134819.jpg

post-868-0-76573200-1289134831.jpg

post-868-0-83634700-1289134840.jpg

post-868-0-37219000-1289134870.jpg

post-868-0-05797800-1289134883.jpg

post-868-0-28689000-1289134988.jpg

post-868-0-93135000-1289134998.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts. I have one of the better DSSD(2836) reps that came out this year I believe,although not perfect,still a very nice replication.I feel they did a very good job with the ceramic bezel, bracelet,clasp.The casual observer would never know the difference,the world dosent see through a marco lens ;)

What does always worry me is the quality of the parts used in the manufacture of the Glidelock clasp, it looks very accurate but will it hold up to regular useage?

TomH

From what I've read, the clasp is prone to failure (on gens as well as reps) as the welds where 'the bottom leaf of the clasp attaches to the piece of metal which attaches to the links of the bracelet' have failed. (sorry I can't describe the part better :lol: ) Thanks for taking the time to post up the review :)

Thanks for sharing that mate :)

Did you have any comments on the crystal when you compared them?

My opinion on the crystal,not that it means much, but I feel that this model being very close to mine has a very well done domed saphire crystal. I have done several side by sides with the gen,looks very good,If not perfect,hope this helps :drinks:

Thanks for this tomhighway! You did what i was too lazy to :p

My only note to add after comparing the v5 and the cartel with the gen (IRL of course), is that the lume in no way compares to the job Zig did on my Cartel.

In fact, the Lume on the gen is so average, im not sure the rep needs a relume.