When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's The Best Way...

swdivad

So I just got this beautiful Inge from Eddie, as said in a previous post, the watch is of great quality overall.

Only problem is that the bottom edges of the case are razor sharp, I'd like to round them off slightly, maybe to match the top edges.

My question is what method/tools do you use to do this? Is it best to go buy a dremel and some wheels, or should I get some files and do it by hand?

I do this with most of the S/S watches I've bot... both with the bottom edge of the case and inside edge of the bracelets... even the mbw's come feeling sharp...

Buy a dremel or black&decker wizard (smaller version of dremel) and use a buffing wheel and polishing compound. Just to be clear, if you go to your local hardware store, they will probably carry both rubbing compound and polishing compound. The rubbing compound is a heavier grit and useful if you need to buff out deep scratches or shape the outside of the CG's after filing. The polishing compound works well for taking off sharp edges. If you have any brushed surfaces that are near the areas you are polishing, I'd also recommend protecting them with blue masking tape. After you have buffed the sharp edge down, you'll need to use an old toothbrush and liquid handsoap to clean off the compound.

IF you want a complete dremel attachment kit which is cheap, check out the various kits from this seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-PC-Rotary-Tool-Acc...1QQcmdZViewItem

I do this with most of the S/S watches I've bot... both with the bottom edge of the case and inside edge of the bracelets... even the mbw's come feeling sharp...

Buy a dremel or black&decker wizard (smaller version of dremel) and use a buffing wheel and polishing compound. Just to be clear, if you go to your local hardware store, they will probably carry both rubbing compound and polishing compound. The rubbing compound is a heavier grit and useful if you need to buff out deep scratches or shape the outside of the CG's after filing. The polishing compound works well for taking off sharp edges. If you have any brushed surfaces that are near the areas you are polishing, I'd also recommend protecting them with blue masking tape. After you have buffed the sharp edge down, you'll need to use an old toothbrush and liquid handsoap to clean off the compound.

IF you want a complete dremel attachment kit which is cheap, check out the various kits from this seller:

Thanks for that WW.... I guess it's off to Bunnings tomorrow to get a Dremel... Cool, never had one of those before :blink::Jumpy: This is gonna be fun :lol::bounce:

Thanks for that WW.... I guess it's off to Bunnings tomorrow to get a Dremel... Cool, never had one of those before :blink::Jumpy: This is gonna be fun :lol::bounce:

Let us know how it goes...as many will be on the same boat (me included...the Inge is my next watch :lol: )

Cheers :drunk:

Alex

...this is the beginning of a whole new life of making microscopic adjustments to things around the house. once you have a dremel, you will see the world in an entirely new high-def granularity... formerly unnoticeable flaws and rough spots will become painfully evident... blemishes which you had previously taken for granted--that knick on the coffee pot, that tiny scuff on the the stairway railing, will now REQUIRE careful dremelling. swdivad... i present to you... the new universe... all there for you... and all requiring a thorough dremelling... but just start with the inge.

...this is the beginning of a whole new life of making microscopic adjustments to things around the house. once you have a dremel, you will see the world in an entirely new high-def granularity... formerly unnoticeable flaws and rough spots will become painfully evident... blemishes which you had previously taken for granted--that knick on the coffee pot, that tiny scuff on the the stairway railing, will now REQUIRE careful dremelling. swdivad... i present to you... the new universe... all there for you... and all requiring a thorough dremelling... but just start with the inge.

LOL.... Maybe I should start on the coffee pot, hate to ruin a perfectly good watch just cause I can shave with it :lol:

LOL.... Maybe I should start on the coffee pot, hate to ruin a perfectly good watch just cause I can shave with it :lol:

swd... there is of course one other tool you could use instead of a dremel... i hesitate to mention it, because most watchsmiths have been sworn to secrecy about revealing its existence. when a truly expert watchsmith is at the point of giving up on the most difficult of repairs... this is the tool they reach for... kind of the 'universal' repair tool... guaranteed to fix the problem in a matter of seconds... mind you, i've only heard about this tool, never saw one up close with my own eyes... rumor on the boards was that nanug had one (and used it far too frequently)... here's a rare pic.....

125266-20628.jpg

Well... the dremel worked out great :Jumpy: Got one with 55 attachments and the flexi extension. The watch now has nary a sharp edge and looks/feels like a genuins sharp edge, not round to the eye, but not able to be used as a razor :lol: This watch could easily pass for genuine, maybe some superlume for the final touch.

Thanks for your help.... I'm starting to like this watch much better :thumbsupsmileyanim::wub:

As for the steam roller :g: We'll leave that approach to Gran and Nanuq :thumbsupsmileyanim: