When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just when I thought my albino '42 was the living end

freddy333

The dial face does not bother me (it may have been faded by (natural) heat, sun exposure & time), but the lume (or lack thereof) makes me wonder. Do you see any actual lume on the dial? I do not & that (& the mis-matched handset) is what makes me suspicious.

I'm thinking there's a very thin layer of painted-on radium for the lume.

The dial face does not bother me (it may have been faded by (natural) heat, sun exposure & time), but the lume (or lack thereof) makes me wonder. Do you see any actual lume on the dial? I do not & that (& the mis-matched handset) is what makes me suspicious.

I don't see any lume on the dial, but, the areas for lume application are clearly marked, and the other dial markings are crisp and clear. I'm going to go out on a limb and stick with my hunch that the dial might be a prototype which never went into production, as I feel the patina is 'too good' to be artificially induced by anything but 100% natural passage of time...

The script and markers are dark, black or close to it. I doubt the dial is faded from any dark color.  I don't think there is any lume on it.   

Reading various versions of Rolex history, particularly in the `50s, they were experimenting and making prototypes quite a bit. Rolex won't help clarify any of it, they probably don't know themselves.   

Edited by JoeyB