When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

History of watch replicas

chrgod

Normally, fakes are not popular on Timezone. However this post includes an old article from Popular Science in 1971. It sheds some light on the "vintage replicas". Back in these days, the fakes were of Bulova (Bolivia), Longines (Longune/ Longjeans), Omega (Onega) and Hamilton (Homilton).. Strangely, Rolex is not mentioned. :)

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=msg&th=1542977&rid=0#msg_5304391

Just like today, one of the important sections of the article is " How to spot a fake".

This post on TZ also have some nice pictures of a 1960ties Omega fake.. A classic in its own right! :good:

Times have changed..

Interesting. Thanks.

Now that I am thinking about it, I remember that these misspelled look-alikes were THE Big Problem for many watch brands even as far back as the 1960s. Back then, replicas, as we know them today (with correct branding), were mostly done by professional forgers on a piece-by-piece basis, so they were not a real profit threat to the majors. Or, at least, that is my recollection of things back then.

Great article!

Any way, as they say: The fake has its value! "it has its own value as a vintage fake--as long as you knew that when you bought it and did not pay Omega money for it."

That will be the essence of it all! Wear it, like it, feel it and love it. Do not cheat, and if you are lucky you will have a watch with great value some day! That is the joy of handicraft! (Even fake paintings can be sold at high prices!)

Funny reading!

8-)

One looks just like the Glashutte Senator. Is the Gen Glashutte a copy of something else?

Or did they make fakes with western names on them?

After all Glashutte was East-German.

Good catch! As far as I know, that font was specific to GUB models before being resurrected for the GO Senator Sixties. I'm not clear if that's a factory-produced fake. But if it is, then those Poljot-made Tutimas gain an extra layer of irony!