When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Questions about a gen 5512 for sale

Typemono

Hello,

Someone is selling a gen 5512. I don't know much about vintage rolex so I wanted to get your input on whether you think this is a gen and what is it worth. The crown guards look point enough but the dial also looks like a replacement. I can't believe a meter first dial looks so new.

Thanks in advance and hope you enjoy the pictures.

-MONO

rolexsub5512002.jpg

rolexsub5512001.jpg

rolexsub5512003.jpg

rolexsub5512004.jpg

rolexsub5512007.jpg

@freddy333: I'll try to get pictures of the movement but I don't want to do too much unless I'm serious. I'm just weighing the cost. It's cheaper (and more fun) to get parts but this seems like a good buy and a gen is always a gen :) Do let me know if there are any resources I can research more about those movements.

@highoeyazmuhudee: Serial is 18##### so that puts it as a 1966 (I think).

What would you pay for it without papers and box?

-MONO

Edited by Typemono

The last pic shows what appears to be a slight bevel on the lugs.

The bracelet is a newer replacement which is OK, but not original to the watch.

I wouldn't be surprised if other parts are newer also, although they look gen. Obviously the crown and tube have been updated, I suspect the bezel insert and the hands also.

I would expect a Rolex service in the 80's brought this watch up to it's present condition, which is nice, but not original which is what collectors really value these days

The pearl looks more modern than the rest of the watch (but that is nothing new) or are you referring to the partially cut-off numbers around the insert's circumference? I have seen that on other gens.

ive seen that too, but never too that degree where so much was cut. also the insert looks in really great condition. ive never seen this style of insert in such good condition. i smell a franken watch. its obvious lots of parts have been replaced either legitimately by RSC or by the owner. if the price was right and it contained a gen rolex caliber and a valid serial number if it could be had for that right price it might be worth having.

The pearl looks more modern than the rest of the watch (but that is nothing new) or are you referring to the partially cut-off numbers around the insert's circumference? I have seen that on other gens.

I have a 5513. The bezel insert that came with it is also partially cut-off. I need to dig up a pic somehwere before the insert was replaced. I actually belive that the bezel is gen. I have seen a lot of watches sold on the gen forums, where the bezel was replaced with an aftermarket bezel. :thumbdown: