When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tropic Thunder

lhooq

1105545777_934Xd-X3.jpg

Through the 60s and 70s, the Swiss-made Tropic rubber strap was the default option for practically any watch that had intentions of getting wet. Wanted a Submariner, but couldn't afford a bracelet to go with it? No problem--let's just slap these things on so you can wear it while you save up for an Oyster. Rolex, Tudor, Blancpain, Bulova, Enicar, and many other manufacturers sold divers wearing the iconic Tropic basket-weave.

These used to be cheap straps that a friendly AD might provide, free, following a service. Today, they're rare vintage items sold for exorbitant, extortionate prices. But they're still good straps that look totally right on certain watches.

I've accumulated a fair number of them over the past couple of years, and I was fortunate enough to pay an average of $15-25 for almost all of them. The only outlier was the very rare black 22mm, for which I had to pay top-dollar to "squinky". Amusingly, I was able to snag the super-duper rare -and rather ugly- silver 22mm for $10. The Buy-It-Now price for that one is currently at $195, but I've seen them list for as much as $350. Sheesh! I honestly can't think of a watch on which it might look good (a hideous Heuer, perhaps?), but de gustibus...

The collection continues to grow, so if you think you've found a good auction for some straps, then you're most likely bidding against me. (How could you? I thought we were friends?)

1105545889_NFkFN-X3.jpg

1105545820_qftuV-X3.jpg

1105545955_nbbNB-X3.jpg

Let's see your vintage Tropics if you've got them!

Thanks, all! I think I have a rubber fetish, but only on the wrist!

donerix: The fascination started out with the Fifty Fathoms. Back then, I didn't even know who made these straps, and it took a lot of research just to find a few bits of information about them. There isn't a lot of new knowledge on Tropics now, but the demand is definitely there. Silver strap on the Tudor sounds good; unfortunately, it's a 22mm strap that I'm unable to squeeze into the 20mm gap between the lugs. There's a 20mm silver "Big Hole" Tropic on eBay--for $189. Yikes!

"I like when we touch heads."

Fantastic post :) The Tropics never used to appeal to me, but after finding a 'flat-back' silicone strap uncomfortably warm, I tried a silicon Tropic-Style strap, and found it an incredible improvement :) Comfortable enough to wear on a daily basis, and, unlike many rubber straps, the basket weave texture lends an air of gravitas and allows the watch to still look smart :good:

• 4 weeks later...

LHOOQ, i never really liked rolex much, but after seeing your explorer1 builds i reallyreallyreally like them, and i find myself wanting to trade my left nut for other vintage rolexes too...

your tudors amaze me, and that group picture of watches on tropics is just gorgeous. in my opinion your taste in watches is immaculate.

reading about your builds have got me thinking of taking the timezone watchschool course so that i one day (probably around year 2020) can modify and build my own watches.

my question to you LHOOQ; -are you God?

my question to you LHOOQ; -are you God?

I OWN AN ALPHA AND OMEGA... but, no! And I'm far more mortal than certain RWG members. For one thing, much of the work on my pieces is outsourced, either to a local watchsmith or to friends here at RWG. In the case of the 1016s, I couldn't have done it without jmb's help, and wouldn't have started without ChiMan12's input. My own watchmaking skills are pretty dire, but I get a kick out of scrounging around for parts and piecing projects together in my head. I do appreciate the compliment.

urbanshogun: DSN. It's not even close to being a 1:1 replication (the thick bezel is a huge tell, for example), but it's a very fine watch. Sorry I can't donate it, but it's going into my reliquary. :)

urbanshogun: DSN. It's not even close to being a 1:1 replication (the thick bezel is a huge tell, for example), but it's a very fine watch. Sorry I can't donate it, but it's going into my reliquary. :)

I really like the way it looks. If domi tells me he can vintageize one for me i'll be all good. (the NOS look doesn't quite do it for me as much as the amazing vintage look)

As far as closeness to gen goes, I am probably going to get the tornek rayville model. So if someone recognizes it, they will know of it's rarity it would be obvious I would not have a gen. In this case it's really a conversation starter, with a watch aware person, so I am happy to wear it. In the case of the general public, they will just see a regular (if a bit small) watch. I will see a design I love, so little details are not important to me. For example, with my rep skyland, I do not focus on the wrong shape of the 1 numeral on the bezel, or the off center lume dot at 10 and 11.

Of course I am saying these things now, before i have the watch and can see the thickness of the bezel! then again, it's not like i'm gonna run into kye_lin and see a gen to compare it to ;)

That being said maybe the bezel thickness and lug depth will mean i'll probably end up looking for a gen when I can afford it...

oh ya and for the record, this

your taste in watches is immaculate.

is so true

Edited by urbanshogun

I know there have been at least two or three attempts at vintagizing the DSN Blancpain: There was one by VDB, but not up to his usual standards, I'm afraid--just a bit of stains and scratches. The great Enzo (where have you gone?) made a nice Tornek, and I believe he had some input into the creation of this rep. There was one other guy who relumed his Lip-Blancpain in white "tritium", and that looked rather nice, in a time machine sort of way.

The TR-900 is the way to go for closeness to gen. It's the only model (along with a few Milspecs) that had a bezel nearly as thick as Davidsen's. #2 accuracy-wise is the Lip-BP, followed by the basic No-Radiations, which greatly resembles the infamous Polish Navy Fifty Fathoms.

On the plus side, you won't necessarily need a Tropic strap for the Tornek. It looks fantastic on an earthy NATO, or even on brown leather--preferably with USN markings!