When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Scotch? Whiskey?

agp

I've never been a big fan of scotch and whiskey, I'm not a big fan of alcohol in general. But recently I've been seeing more and more people drink what seems to be scotch or whiskey. Why do people like it? I remember the first and only time I had Johnnie Walker on the rocks, I almost threw up. Is drinking alcohol on the rocks an acquired taste of some sort? And are scotch and whiskey the same thing? And if you had to recommend me an affordable bottle scotch/whiskey that will get me to change my mind about this type of alcohol, what would it be?

Edited by agp

I wouldn't recommend any Bourbon, it's quite simply America's (failed) attempt to copy true Scottish Whiskey and yes Bourbon makes me sick too.

At the end of the day you need to be able to appreciate the flavours found in scotch much like one would do with wine otherwise it may simply not be the drink for you.

For one just starting out on scotch 'on the rocks' will be very harsh regardless of how smooth the blend (mind you single malt is for true lovers), I would suggest drinking it with chilled water or tonic or if you honestly need a little sweetener with a splash of dry.

Ken

Might I recommend Woodford Reserve Bourbon. Pretty inexpensive ($30) and just smooth as silk. And yes, drinking scotch and whiskey is an acquired taste. Drinking really good scotch on the rocks should be a crime.

I agree with the Woodford Reserve Bourbon recommendation. This Bourbon is a better starting place if you are new to whiskey than Scotch is. Woodford Reserve Bourbon is a smooth sipping Whiskey. If you are really new to drinking Whiskey, mixing it with water and having it on ice will is a good place to introduce yourself to the taste . Fifteen year Dalhwinnie is a great Scotch to start to acquire the taste. It is mild, smooth and without a heavy after taste. The reason it is so smooth is because it is double distilled. It is unique among the Single Malts. At the other end of the spectrum is a strong full flavored Scotch called Laphroig. You can save that for later on.

How does Woodford Reserve compare to Redbreast?

For scotch, I'd stand by my recommendation of The Macallan 12. It's a beautiful Speyside scotch that should not be offensive to anyone. Something like a Glengoyne is a common recommendation for a first timer normally, as it's less flavorful, and it's very light bodied. But, I'd say skip it altogether and try the Macallan. 50% of the enjoyment with Scotch is in the nosing of the whisky, and the Macallan has a great toffee and sherry nose to it with all sorts of subtle scents underneath. The nose on the usual "starter" scotches just doesn't cut it. I've got a bottle of the Macallan 18 yr, and at 3x the cost of the 12 yr, I've really got to say the bang for the buck is in the 12 yr. The difference between the two is very subtle. Just stay away from the Macallan "Fine Oak" series, and just go for the regular (and much better) stuff.

My top 5 Bourbon's

1. Old Rip Van Winkle (Now Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve) ... the 15, 20 and 23 year old versions from this distillery are the best you will find IMO. Well worth every dollar spent, although the 15 isn't that pricey.

2. K nob Creek ... don't let the price fool you, quality stuff. Anxiously awaiting the release of their Single Barrel reserve.

3. Noah's Mill ... 114 proof, so be careful when drinking ... :) Actually best with a splash of water.

4. Basil Hayden ... a very smooth and light bourbon. Great starter for someone new to bourbon

5. Four Roses Single Barrel ... a US bourbon that disappeared to Japan and is now back state-side. Excellent, but hard to find as it's made in limited quantities each year.

Don't get me wrong, Woodford Reserve is a good bourbon, but just not as good as some others. As with many spirits, often the smaller distillers make a finer product. Fortunately, I live within a day trip of Bourbon County, KY ... :D

Can't help you on the Scotch. Have never developed a taste for it.

Edited by tomhorn

While I'm not much of a bourbon drinker, I'll definitely try Old Rip Van Winkle. [censored] Creek certainly isn't bad. Thanks for the top 5!

My top 5 Bourbon's

1. Old Rip Van Winkle (Now Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve) ... the 15, 20 and 23 year old versions from this distillery are the best you will find IMO. Well worth every dollar spent, although the 15 isn't that pricey.

2. K nob Creek ... don't let the price fool you, quality stuff. Anxiously awaiting the release of their Single Barrel reserve.

3. Noah's Mill ... 114 proof, so be careful when drinking ... :) Actually best with a splash of water.

4. Basil Hayden ... a very smooth and light bourbon. Great starter for someone new to bourbon

5. Four Roses Single Barrel ... a US bourbon that disappeared to Japan and is now back state-side. Excellent, but hard to find as it's made in limited quantities each year.

Don't get me wrong, Woodford Reserve is a good bourbon, but just not as good as some others. As with many spirits, often the smaller distillers make a finer product. Fortunately, I live within a day trip of Bourbon County, KY ... :D

Can't help you on the Scotch. Have never developed a taste for it.

Glenfarclas 105. It will make you grow hair on your chest! =@:D

Heh! But you're not supposed to drink cask strength whisky without water!! Of course you can, if you want... but the alcohol will overpower the flavor of the whisky. One nice thing about cask strength whiskies is that they taste different every time, depending on how much water you add.

I was given 4 brand new bottles of Crown Royal. I'm usually a vodka drinker, but I enjoy any good spirit.

It could be the change in seasons, or my sinuses, but I've noticed that since drinking the crown, I've been very stuffed up and dizzy each time, the next day.