When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to clean and polish watch?

naeems

are you kidding.... Naeems... do you have a problem using the search function? it seems like every post you put up has to do with you requesting that everyone explain you something that has been discussed on the forum THOUSANDS of times before. I don't ever have a problem helping out a member in need, but do a little work for yourself and discover the beauty of this community.

Putting up a post everytime you ahve a simple question is not the best way to go about it. Many people have put in a lot more time in to this forum to make it easier for people like you to get the answers you're looking for. Use the search function and save us all some time.

PLEEASE!

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

When a watch arrives from the factory, I clean it by going into the bathroom, running the tap, and soaping the watch up as if I was washing my hands. Then I apply sewing machine oil to the bracelet, flex the links to really work the oil in, then it's back with more soap and under the tap. As for scratches, depends how severe they are... Nail polishing boards are good for getting a good shine, but the watch will only get more scratches when it's worn, so a bit of a waste of time, really. If you can't completely de-case the movement in the event of the case flooding, you may want to ignore the soap and water approach :bangin:

The Search on this forum can be worthless. You can also try:

"site:www.rwgforum.com search words" in Google. That will tell Google to search RWG only. It works very well for me.

For instance the other night, I was trying to search for "rolex dssd v2" using the RWG search and it just whined and complained that my search words were too small and I was not allowed to search for small words.

So I Googled " site:www.rwgforum.com rolex dssd v2 " and found what I needed. If I had tried to make the RWG searcher happy and not used the V2 search word, it would have been utterly worthless.

The search is only as good as the searcher controlling it (to make your searching more effective, I would recommend everyone read this). On the other hand, because of the relatively large number of forums (each with its own set of pinned articles) & somewhat obtuse online board help system, RWG can be a very daunting place for a newbie (I often have trouble locating the RWG Rules withing the maze of links around here). New members, who are interested only in, for example, Rolex watches, may never even find the wealth of pinned how-tos, tutorials & reviews in the General or Watchmaking forum areas.

That said, some new members' posts seem as though they tried very hard NOT to find something before posting.

I think what I am trying to say is that we might need to make it easier for newbies to find (& learn) the basic rules of RWG & for everyone else to cut them a little slack when they honestly misstep.

naeems missed it because he wasn't looking. He wants answers to come to him. he doesn't want to search for them :whistling:

Seems to be lot of new people lately that show up, gather all the Infomation they can and disappear. Most of these new people dont even say "thank you" when you try to help them. In the last few months there seems to more of these types. They just take and give nothing back. I understand that a new member dosent have that much to give In the way of knowledge most of the time. But when you cant take a minute to say "thank you",well there Is no excusse for that,just plane rude. I have sent several new members PM's, trying to answer there questions,most of the time I get no reply,nice :nea: I call these people "lazy" because they dont want to do the foot work, and I also call these people "users",because they give nothing back,not even a sliver of appreciation,nothing..nada.. zero.. :thumbdown:

Seems to be lot of new people lately that show up, gather all the Infomation they can and disappear. Most of these new people dont even say "thank you" when you try to help them. In the last few months there seems to more of these types. They just take and give nothing back. I understand that a new member dosent have that much to give In the way of knowledge most of the time. But when you cant take a minute to say "thank you",well there Is no excusse for that,just plane rude. I have sent several new members PM's, trying to answer there questions,most of the time I get no reply,nice :nea: I call these people "lazy" because they dont want to do the foot work, and I also call these people "users",because they give nothing back,not even a sliver of appreciation,nothing..nada.. zero.. :thumbdown:

I've found that too, and lost count of the amount of n00bs who have PMd asking something, sometimes not even having the courtesy to sign a message with their real name, and never once saying thanks. Oh well, their lack of class is something they have to struggle with in their daily lives, it's not my problem :lol:

I hope naeems doesn't turn out to be one of "those" newbs. He's nice enough, but doesn't realize that his posts and requests for information and instant gratification can be seen by lots of us vet members as the typical "hit and run" posts. Why even take the time to respond to Noobies like that, when everything they'll ever really need is already archived on the forum.

- “Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired.”

I wasnt reffering to naeems,he semms like a nice guy :) I guess I just needed to get that off of my chest,I know Im not alone,right T? ;)

I COMPLETELY AGREE with you Max, you hit the nail on the head. I wasn't directly referring to Naeems either, but I do hope he reads this, and realizes the truth to what you mentioned Maxman

I wasnt reffering to naeems,he semms like a nice guy :) I guess I just needed to get that off of my chest,I know Im not alone,right T? ;)

Totally, Naeems hasn't PMd me for info, so it's not directed at him (and I even answered on the thread topic :lol: ) but those hit and run types, without the courtesy of even signing their name, well, not my kind of people :lol:

Likewise, amigo :drinks: @Plaifender, I haven't forgotten about our beers next time I'm in Spain :drinks:

I've got my mercadona deodorant poised and ready for you, just in case you bring some of that good 'ol uk stench along with you :)

haha j.k. ;)

@max: You're invited too! at this point we're hi-jacking naeems thread.. but since he hasn't appeared to say thankk you for the answers we've given.. screw it! hi-jack away! :pardon:

I've got my mercadona deodorant poised and ready for you, just in case you bring some of that good 'ol uk stench along with you :)

haha j.k. ;)

@max: You're invited too! at this point we're hi-jacking naeems thread.. but since he hasn't appeared to say thankk you for the answers we've given.. screw it! hi-jack away! :pardon:

Thank you my friend,It would be a honor to meet up with two well respected members as you and T,a honor Indeed. :drinks: BTW naeems sent me a PM thanking me for the Infomation. :)

haha j.k. ;)

That deodorant really is the best, who needs Designer Fragrances when generic stuff is soooo good :D:drinks: :drinks:

Thank you my friend,It would be a honor to meet up with two well respected members as you and T,a honor Indeed. :drinks: BTW naeems sent me a PM thanking me for the Infomation. :)

cheers to that. I probably won't be passing through charlotte till possibly this summer. I'm from ATlanta, but have been living in spain for the last 5 years.. before that italy.... and before that france...

But every once and I while I make it back to my sacred Georgia! We'll see how we can logistically meet up for a beer! (unless you by chance happen to be coming to madrid soon!?????)

That deodorant really is the best, who needs Designer Fragrances when generic stuff is soooo good :D:drinks: :drinks:

If you come to madrid, I promise to have 4 cans ready for you to bring back to the UK!!