When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor 9411 Bezel question

panerai153

I'm getting some stuff together to send up to ziggy, one of which is the blue insert on my Tudor 9411/0 It came with a service insert w/ Lumi pearl. i picked up a really nice creamy white Tritium pearl on VRF a few weeks ago with the intention of changing out to the correct pearl. So here is my question/problem. I popped the bezel off the Tudor, and when i did, the crystal came off as well. I'm looking at the watch, and I don't see a retaining ring or a washer. the bezel looks a little strange, like possibly the retaining ring is stuck to the inside of the bezel. What is really strange is the lack of a washer inside. The bezel is really tight when it's on the watch, but it will turn. What I was wondering, was the Tudor bezel construction different from the Rolex subs? It looks like the same case, but something is strange here. i know everything on it is genuine, because it was serviced at RSC San Francisco several years ago.

I would appreciate any advice information, etc. I will send the watch up to Ziggy if this is incorrect. I was under the impression that the bezel assembly consisted of 4 pieces, bezel, retaining ring insert and washer. mine only has two, unless the retaining ring is stuck inside the bezel itself.

Here are a few photos:

20101210_01a.jpg

20101210_02a.jpg

20101210_03a.jpg

20101210_05a.jpg

20101210_06a.jpg

20101210_07a.jpg

You're both correct, the assembly is same as Rolex. Yes, the retaining ring/washer/bezel all came off together.

You can separate them carefully but it won't be easy. Then when reassembling press the retaining ring down completely onto the crystal/case. Then lube the flat washer, get it perfectly aligned to the mounted retaining ring, drop it in place. Then get the bezel perfectly aligned to the washer and press it onto the ring. It should take a lot of pressure to click on, but you can do it with your thumbs.

If it's still really hard to turn the bezel you didn't get it quite right. Check to ensure the bezel is clicked on all the way around, give it another HARD squeeze, listen for a final click. If no final click, remove the bezel and try again.

It took me perhaps ten tries with my Snowflake before I finally got it right so it turns correctly. All my other watches??? First try every time. Go figure.

You're both correct, the assembly is same as Rolex. Yes, the retaining ring/washer/bezel all came off together.

You can separate them carefully but it won't be easy. Then when reassembling press the retaining ring down completely onto the crystal/case. Then lube the flat washer, get it perfectly aligned to the mounted retaining ring, drop it in place. Then get the bezel perfectly aligned to the washer and press it onto the ring. It should take a lot of pressure to click on, but you can do it with your thumbs.

If it's still really hard to turn the bezel you didn't get it quite right. Check to ensure the bezel is clicked on all the way around, give it another HARD squeeze, listen for a final click. If no final click, remove the bezel and try again.

It took me perhaps ten tries with my Snowflake before I finally got it right so it turns correctly. All my other watches??? First try every time. Go figure.

thanks to both of you for the info. Now the question is how do I get them apart? I don't want to bugger up the insert or the retaining ring trying to get them apart.

I would have thought that you can push the crystal retaining ring with your thumbs and the pull the bezel with your fingers, if that wont work, i think i would use a crystal press, I have never had a crystal retaining ring pop off that easy though is that the right ring or the right crystal

• Like 1

I would have thought that you can push the crystal retaining ring with your thumbs and the pull the bezel with your fingers, if that wont work, i think i would use a crystal press, I have never had a crystal retaining ring pop off that easy though is that the right ring or the right crystal

Andy, I am assuming the ring is the one that came wirth the watch, or possibly changed at service. The crystal is the correct T-125 Tudor Sub crystal.

I was able to seperate them ,they were really stuck together!! And as nanug said getting the bezel snapped back on was a bitch. Ithought I was never going to get it to snap on all the way around. the bezel turns, irt's pretty stiff, but that's OK. I am a little concerned as Anduy mentioned as to why the retaining ring came off, although it took a pretty good bit of force to get it to pop off the first time. My 1665 ,1680 and 16610 bezels are much easier to remove and replace.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate the help.

My bezel was a cast iron beyotch to turn and remove when I first got it. I took off the retaining ring and went around the outside very gently with a flat bastard file a few times, maintaining the original angle, then retried the fit. Still too tight. I repeated until I got it about as hard to install and remove as my 1665 bezel.

But it's still very difficult to align the shim spring perfectly enough that it clicks on correctly.

My bezel was a cast iron beyotch to turn and remove when I first got it. I took off the retaining ring and went around the outside very gently with a flat bastard file a few times, maintaining the original angle, then retried the fit. Still too tight. I repeated until I got it about as hard to install and remove as my 1665 bezel.

But it's still very difficult to align the shim spring perfectly enough that it clicks on correctly.

I thought about doing the same thing, using some emery cloth to try and smooth it down.I didn't because ii was afraid that if I overshot, the bezel would pop off with no pressure or the slightes knock.

Ah, life is short... GO FOR IT!! Just take your time, lots of trial and error, don't rush the process. Put on some nice music and just enjoy the feel of working the steel in your hands. Let the file bite just a little, turn the ring, keep going, watch for filings, check it with your thumb... enjoy the slow progress until you get it just right. You can do it... nothing to be afraid of!

I have don the same on a stiff bezel, just gently thinned the retaining washer, it may also be worth ensuring that the insde of the bezel is clean as well, use a toothpick and polish the inside of the groove, if some one has glued an insert on in the past then there may be some glue in there

I have don the same on a stiff bezel, just gently thinned the retaining washer

Now THAT takes skill. I tried to thin my washer and crimped it twice. Fricken thin little pansy piece of tin. :brow:

I thought about doing the same thing, using some emery cloth to try and smooth it down.I didn't because ii was afraid that if I overshot, the bezel would pop off with no pressure or the slightes knock.

I have faced this problem also and found that as others have said cleaning the contact surfaces of the friction washer, underside of the bezel ring and upper face of the retainer ring is a critical step.

I had success when I soaked the friction washer in wd40, then cleaned the inside of the bezel ring with the same material and a toothpick as Andy said. Only the tiniest bit of glue or gunge can lock it up.

When I reassembled, I put the slightest pin drop of wd40 between the layers to act as a lube.

Also, its wise to check that the edge of the retainer ring does not have any nicks in it - perhaps where aomeone has tried to prise it off in the past? Take care though, as you say above, if you reduce the OD of the ring by a tiniest fraction too much - it will pop off! Then you have the opposite issue - exploding bezel assemblies!

Whilst having a conversation in my office corridor one day, I looked down and saw what I thought was a friction washer on the floor? I picked it up, pocketed it and commented to a business colleague that it looked like a watch part. Fifteen minutes later, when asked the time, I was horrified to see my 1665 bezel assembly was missing!!! The friction washer in my pocket - was in fact my own!! OUCH :black_eye:

Edited by PMMUTD68