When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

suggestions for best vintage explorer 1?

chris5264

I posted this in response to a similar question last week:

Depending on your price level, there are only three out-of-the-box vintage Explorers to consider:

At $100, there's Narikaa's 21J Explorer: Standard classic Datejust rep with a great dial for the price. Drill lugholes for a superb 1016 on a budget.

1127174678_AEm66-M.jpg

At $248, Trusty's 1016 comes with a very good dial, a much nicer movement, and drilled lugholes. Shame they're too small and in the wrong place, but no one will notice--except you!

1127173723_mpFXF-L.jpg

At ~$360, find someone (like Narikaa) to buy you an MBK 1016, which is hands-down the best vintage Explorer out of the box. Excellent dial, a much better and more authentic-looking case, and correctly-placed (but still too small) lugholes. However, like the other two, its dimensions are not identical to an actual 1016, so forget about changing the crystal.

1127174130_KpRE2-M.jpg

Beyond that, it's franken country.

I am willing to take offers on my franken as i never wear it

DSCF1639.jpg

DSCF1638.jpg

DSCF1637.jpg

Gen Dial, gen 6mm crown, gen tube, MBK 36mm case, Clarks T22 crystal with a spare added in the package

Slow beat 2793 movement modded to single position

Drilled lugs and endlinks

Gen spring bars

Offers?

My understanding is that the T22 will fit onto the MBK's rehaut, but getting the bezel over it will require modifications. For example, Lanikai's MBK had a T22 that had been severely trimmed around the edges.

Andy, I'm guessing you took some metal off the inside of the bezel? The edge of your crystal looks intact (and great!).

"At $100, there's Narikaa's 21J Explorer: Standard classic Datejust rep with a great dial for the price. Drill lugholes for a superb 1016 on a budget."

Drilling lug holes...

I have had some good luck and a lot of bad luck drilling lug holes all the way through lugs in cases that came with blind lug holes.

I have had good luck by:

1...Installing tight fitting springbars in both ends of the case.

2...Use the springbars for a guide to start the holes on the outside of the lugs. If you start the holes lined up with the springbars, chances are it will turn out Ok. Remove the springbars after the holes are deep enough to guide the drill bit.

3...I use a very short bit in a Foredom FlexShaft cable drive hand tool running at slow speed to start the holes. You can start the holes without the bit creeping if you angle the drill bit a little so it does not enter the lug at an angle. Just after the bit starts to cut...change the angle to match the springbar.

4...I usually finish drilling the holes in a small drill press or milling machine but mounting the case in a soft jaw vise and drilling with a small electric drill, Dremel etc will work Ok too...usually.

Sometimes lubricant helps the drill bit cut and sometimes it just makes the bit get hot and turn blue.

I cut the first hole smaller than the finish hole in DJ etc and make 2 or 3 cuts on submariner springbar holes. Sometimes one drill bit will do all 4 holes and sometines it takes 3 or 4 drill bits to cut 4 holes.

There are no guarantees on fools' errands. I know this from experience. :animal_rooster: