When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Interesting eBay Tudor/5513 Hybrid

Ronin

Interesting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...ME:B:SS:US:1123

I appreciate the honesty but have to wonder if the TRF/VRF guys will flag it down. Is this anyone here?

Also, given the honesty-- do you feel this is an OK auction? Personally, I am cool with Frankens on the 'bay if the seller is forthright.

Here is the Auction Description.

Ok folks let me start by saying that this a genuine rolex tudor submariner, made in 1967. The serial number is 597112 the style number is 7928/0. The production date( taken from the numbers on the inside of the case back is 11.67). I believe the 2 ones are actualy roman numerals, that means this watch was made in the 2nd quater of 1967. I have had this watch for nearly 20 years. It sat in my drawer for ten years. About 10 years I decided to fix the watch up and it give it to my son. So here is what I did. Let me preface by saying I am a watch repair man with limited skills. However by doing repairs I met and became friends with several genuine rolex certified repairmen. Also through my jewelry store connections I was able to contact a dial shop in dallas to refinish dials for me. So here we go. When I got this watch it was in terrible condition. The bracelet was twisted and bent. The plastic crystall was so scratched you could hardley see through it. However the hands, dial, bezel and insert were in surprisingly good condition, as was the caseback and movement. The case tubes on these watches were supposed to keep them water tight, however after several years they did not do the job. So the first thing I did was to replace the case tube with the later model, that made it watertight. The next thing I did was to have the dial refinished to say rolex, big mistake. I now know I should have left it alone because today these watches are more valuable in all original condition. The next thing I did was to replace the plastic crystal with a sapphire cystal. This is pretty cool how I did this. I took a 1500 series short gasket, put it on the case, then I took a 1700 series tall sub gasket and placed it over the first one. Then I popped the crystal into it and pressed the bezel over it. It is water tight. The braclet I threw in a drawer and can,t find it, I will continue to look. The end pieces were so bent, by the time I got them straight enough to fit, I polished off the 58 number which I now know is significant. The bracelet is a nice aftermarket stainless submariner, not real, but in good condition. The original end pieces are attached to the braclet. I am selling the head and throwing the bracelet in the deal. So here is what we have. Original, case, 390 movement, ( in perfect working order, complete c.o.r. in sept 09) caseback with all stamping, bezel, insert, hands and crown. The dial will only fit the 390 movt, but has been refinished. Any questions please call me at 214 808 5418. My son needs some money, that is the only reason we.re selling it. Please call before you bid so I can answer any questions you have, SHIPPING IS FOR THE USA ONLY. So in summary I must say this is a very nice watch to wear. It keeps perfect time, it winds very smoothly, it will run for 36hours, and it really looks nice with the sapphire crystal. I think it is a good price for a very nice watch that looks just like the new ones. I have tried to be completley honest about the description and feel that I may have made it seem worse than it is, but I feel it is important to give as accurate description as possible. You will be pleased. Thanks for looking and don't forget to call, ask for Matt