When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best method for holding hands in place while sanding?

Drulee

I'm going to have to shave down some PAM hand sets soon, so I figured I'd get some tips on holding them in place before doing so.

Last time I folded a piece of paper with a cut-out for the base tube to stick out of, but the paper left a mark on the surface of a black minute hand ...... so any tips, suggestions?

Well you have to understand that I have never done this myself but I'm guessing sandpaper would be better than a file.

Then yes I would hold the rodico so the hand is facing down and simply rub it over the paper.

Ken

Nope, tried that before, the Rodico doesn't have a firm enough hold so the hand always ends up moving out of place or to an angle. I think I'll just hold the hand down with some folded thick paper, like that used in financial report covers, and press down with my finger to keep in place while sanding/filing.

Hour and minute hands...hold them in place using a sharpened round toothpick in the center hole and sand or brush away from center. Place a thin sheet of paper between any hard surface and the hand to prevent scratching the underside of the hand and help hold the hand in place.

Sweep second and sub second hands...place the hand tube in one of the small holes in a bench anvil covered with a sheet of thin watch paper etc.

Wrap sandpaper around a toothpick etc if needed when sanding.

Be careful with luminous filling.

Wipe the hands clean with a small square of soft chamios.

Simichrome paste etc on chamios or Q-tip is good for polishing hands.

On rusty steel hands...you can use a blunted toothpick or sliver of pegwood and Simichrome polish etc to remove rust. Pitting on steel hands is hard to cover so sanding is usually the best option. You can also fill pitts with paint and sand after each coat until they look Ok.

If hands are 'V' shaped in cross section...be careful not to apply too much force as they can flatten out or curl up.

Place hands on a pointed toothpick to hold them when applying luminous material. Stick the toothpick in an anvil to dry.

Slow dry luminous material as heat drying may cause cracking.

Make sure hands are straight and will fit and clear each other/dial/markers/crystal on the watch before applying luminous material.

If you need to slightly raise or lower a hand after mounting it...lower it by either using a hand pusher/soft tweezers etc or blunted toothpick near the hub on the side that needs lowering. You can also put a slight bend in the hand next to the hub with the toothpick. You can tilt the hand on the post with a pen type hand press etc or tweezers.

You can lift or slightly bend a hand up with a U shaped piece of paper...cradle the hand close to the post if it has luminous material or it might crack or pop out.

If you mount an hour hand or subdial hand too low to get under it with hand pullers etc...loosen the dial screws and slightly pry/lift the dial away from the movement (be careful of calendar wheels etc). Try to put a small sheet of notched watch paper between the dial and hand if possible to prevent scratching the dial. Lay a square of Saran Wrap etc over the dial/hands to contain flying hands.

Don't get excited. :Jumpy: