When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam005 Turned Pam195 Complete

Bike Mike

Just wrapped up a Pam005 to 195 conversion...less a Jakob case back which I am still on the fence about.

Started life as a Pam005 that HackR tracked down for me. :drinks:

Case PVD'd by The Zigmeister

Hands and Dial Lumed by The Zigmeister as well

Swiss ETA6497-1 full service, H3 Pinion Set and regulated by myself.

Assembled by myself

Strap is Camel Suede Gator from my personal strap slave...Blackbard. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The PVD is just plain phenomenal that Z has sourced. More of a dark graphite grayish black then straight black. Much closer to the gens if not to the gens. I was kind of really not liking the PVD finish as fist as I thought it was too light. After I got here together with the black dial, everything darkened right up. This is now one of my favorite Pams and favorite straps.

What do you guys think?...Oh FYI I am not a Pam-Rep-Freak...I don't care that the CG is not correct or the Pin is not perfectly flat or the Gen has a 7750 movement. To me this is more about the fun having with modding reps. then making them even close to perfect. :drinks:

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

Looking very nice, just waiting for my DLC'd case to come back from Avitt to finish my 195 build :) I've got a Jakob personalized 195 CB, and although at first I wasn't too thrilled about it being etched (not engraved), after coating it with some clear matte lacquer to prevent wearing of the print, and a little sanding to blend in the coating, I'm quite happy with it.

The only thing you need to do is perhaps get a thinner crystal, or shorter gasket, as that one sticks up way too high.

As far as I know the gen using manual winding...oh boy..i've been thinking to do this kind of project for quite a few years.

So for a few questions >>

1- The pam 005 case, can we source any 005 from any dealer ? or there are some specific dealers for this project ?

2- DLC/PVD ..Avitt closer to the gen or Rolli ??

3- Jakob Caseback - I thought he engraved it on the back and doing a custom personalised name on it ..

4- Is the dial of the 005 should be the same as the 195 ?

Thanks for your help..

Ps this thing look amazing..congrats!!!

As far as I know the gen using manual winding...oh boy..i've been thinking to do this kind of project for quite a few years.

So for a few questions >>

1- The pam 005 case, can we source any 005 from any dealer ? or there are some specific dealers for this project ?

3- Jakob Caseback - I thought he engraved it on the back and doing a custom personalised name on it ..

4- Is the dial of the 005 should be the same as the 195 ?

Thanks for your help..

Ps this thing look amazing..congrats!!!

As far as I know the gen 195 was the first watch that OP decided to go with a DLC coating. The gens I have seen in-person are a little darker than previous gen PAM s with a PVD coating.

Here's a 195 next to a 292 (the 292 is quite a bit darker than OP's PVD coatings)...

socal23.jpg

Ignore info on PaneraiSource.com, it is often wrong and occasionally screws up by using a picture of a rep instead of gen :D

The 195 and 005 are definitely manual winds, that use the 6497-2 movement. The 195 has similarly decorated bridges to those on the 036B, while the 005G will have CoteDeGeneves finish on its bridges while maintaining the same shape as the 195/036B ...

I was kind of really not liking the PVD finish as fist as I thought it was too light. After I got here together with the black dial, everything darkened right up. This is now one of my favorite Pams and favorite straps.

As you handle the case, the oils from your hands and fingers will absorb into the PVD coating and the colour will turn darker and have the correct tint.

Looks great overall, wonderful job.

How about ziggy closer to the gen...

Did you not read bikermike's post or are you simply ignoring what he wrote...

Please give credit where it's due.

Case PVD'd by The Zigmeister

The PVD is just plain phenomenal that Z has sourced. More of a dark graphite grayish black then straight black. Much closer to the gens if not to the gens.

Here's a 195 next to a 292 (the 292 is quite a bit darker than OP's PVD coatings)...

I would think this is more due to the fact that the 292 is ceramic and not coated.

Looking very nice, just waiting for my DLC'd case to come back from Avitt to finish my 195 build :) I've got a Jakob personalized 195 CB, and although at first I wasn't too thrilled about it being etched (not engraved), after coating it with some clear matte lacquer to prevent wearing of the print, and a little sanding to blend in the coating, I'm quite happy with it.

The only thing you need to do is perhaps get a thinner crystal, or shorter gasket, as that one sticks up way too high.

Good to know about the case backs. Still on the fence about doing one simply for that fact that if I ever sell it I am sure the new owner is not going to want my name engraved on the case back.

Not worried about the crystal. Nothing needs to be perfect for me…to me this was a fun rep project.

As you handle the case, the oils from your hands and fingers will absorb into the PVD coating and the colour will turn darker and have the correct tint.

Looks great overall, wonderful job.

I have noticed that and I am liking the piece more and more each day! As I said, once the piece was fully assembled, my jaw hit the floor! Phenomenal job again Z!!! :drinks: