When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

If You Didn't Already Need A Reason To Buy A Rolex Rep

Sharkbait

114270 Explorer $4,250

16570 Explorer II $5,000

116713 GMT Master II $8,925

116718 GMT Master II $22,750

16710 GMT Master II $5,075

14060M Submariner $4,525

16610 Submariner Date $5,175

16610V Submariner Date (anniversary edition) $5,525

16613 Submariner Date (steel/18k) $7,825

16613 Submariner Date (Serti Dial) $9,975

16618 Submariner Date (18k) $23,100

16600 Sea Dweller $5,375

16622 Yacht Master 40mm (steel/plat) $8,325

16623 Yacht Master 40mm (steel/18k) $8,675

168622 Yacht Master 35mm (steel/plat) $7,800

168623 Yacht Master 35mm (steel/18k) $8,000-mens, $7,900-ladies

169622 Yacht Master 29mm (steel/plat) $6,900

169623 Yacht Master 29mm (steel/18k) $7,100

116520 Cosmograph Daytona $7,900

116523 Cosmograph Daytona (steel/18k) $12,675

No need to get mad now!!!!!!!!!! When you buy a Rolex you are paying some for the watch and more for the name. I would say 25% watch and 75% name, how much do you think the same watch would cost with different markings? Rolex sells every single watch they produce so a markup is not as outrageous as some think. We are talking about luxury items here, not cheapo economy cars!!!!!!

I don't know what possessed me to write this - perhaps I'm just venting. I have always been amazed at the prices Rolex can charge for what most consider to be average craftsmenship for the Swiss watch industry. It's all about the marketing--it is the one watch that Joe six pack will identify as a status watch. I believe that the vast majority of people who purchase a Rolex do so only for the "status" and not because of its beauty or the quality of its movement. Most of these buyers don't have a clue about what else is out there and their local jewelry/watch shop only carries Rolex as its premier brand. The salesman tells you -"it's the best watch in the world".....yada, yada (I know because a local salesman did this and I had to leave the store because I didn't want to embarrass him by laughing too hard).

Just my personal opinion, but I think that most Rolexes are very plain styled, utilitarian watches that I just can't get excited about. The fit and finish is good, but certainly no better, and in many cases worse, than what other Swiss companies offer. I won't buy one, nope, not even a replica, because I don't want any of the local clowns recognizing it and saying, "ewwhhhhh...you own a rolex!" When I wanted a dive watch, I bought an Eterna Super KonTiki. I think it's style and finish kicks the Submariner's ass. I got it for well less than half of the Sub's price and I get compliments on it, but no bugeyed stares and assumptions that I'm one of those wealthy shylock lawyers. When I wanted a dressier sport watch, I got an Omega Seamaster 120. Again, in my opinion, a much nicer looking watch and a way better value than the Explorer. My non-sport dress watch ended up being a Girard Perregaux Richland tonneau. I got a stupid good deal on it and though an elegant watch, it still stays under the local radar screen.

Which brings me to why I love quality replicas so much. I can wear some really beautiful, uber-cool watches and hardly a living soul in my hometown will know what it is, or ascribe any real value to it. I do have some nice genuine watches, but my budget wouldn't allow me to wear genuine Vaheron's, PP's, or the like.

Hey, great site you all have here. I have learned a lot by perusing the forum archives.

Regards,

Stu

Well rolexes are baught "because" they are expensive watch by the average client.

they just have to keep making people dreams and be reconised as a "sucess" watch ..

and you just can't really compare the values of a gen to a rep, since gens do have a reselling value, that like saying a $100 dollard bill worth 0.1c of paper ...

that said it's much cleaver to buy a second hand watch so you don't lose 30% of your investement.

And yes our reps regarding to the quality are handsome ..

just my 0.2c

I was just at the AD a few weeks ago. The Explorer was listed at $3750 then and that seemed a bit excessive to me. The Exp II was listed at $4500 or something like that. Both are very nice watches, but those prices are ridiculous. I understand the value is determined by the buyer, whether they want the name or appreciate the intricacies of the mechanical movement, but at those prices, there are lots of other, imho, nicer watches to be had. I should add, that the Exp II is one of my favorite all-time watches.

Climb on.

I had been hearing rumors of an upcoming price increase for months. I am surprised that rlx increased certain models to this kind of price point but as they sell all they manufacture, what's to stop them.

I haven't noticed a bump in the advertised prices on second hand models at TZ but I suspect that will be coming shortly as the word gets around. If someone is looking to jump on a used model, it may not be a bad time.

They are expensive but given the legendary resale value of at least the sport models, it doesn't necassarily make them a bad investment, if purchased used.

I hope the rep manufacturers don't get the idea & jump on the rlx band wagon. :animal_rooster: