When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A small but very satisfying mod to my WM9 Sub

Guest Sql_pl

I have a nice WM9 V3 Sub with genuine crystal, bezel insert and crown/tube. Love the watch but one thing kept bothering me - the way the bezel rotated. It felt rough, difficult to turn and the clicks were just not right.

Today I visited a Rolex AD/Service center for one small thing for my gen Daytona and asked the guy if there was a chance I could get a click spring for my 16610 Sub because I lost mine when I was swapping between black and LV bezel inserts ;) Surprisingly it wasn't a problem (I guess a gen 116520 helped) and in a moment I had a genuine click spring for a 16610!

Back home took the swiss army knife out and started to work!

rol1q.jpg

Here you can see my pride and joy, my new shiny OEM part :)

rol2.jpg

Notice how different it is from a WM9 one (on top):

rol3u.jpg

After some serious problems putting the watch together again (it can NEVER go as easy as you expect it to, NEVER!!), the time came to see if it helped.....

Difference is UNBELIEVABLE! Nice, soft, totally gen-like clicks! Woohoo!

Such a small mod, a world of difference!

If you get the chance to do it to your WM9, I really recommend it!

Edited by Sql_pl

Congrats on the gen 317-16800 spring.

The sources I'd located for these were getting 75.00 each.

I opted for a couple from Clarks at 9.00 each. And must admit I'm quite pleased with them.

I am also VERY happy with the click-spring from Clarks that is more genuinelike :thumbsupsmileyanim:

But on my V3 sub the original WM9 clickspring is almost the same as the genuine ( compared to my genuine seadweller!)

But on my WM9 LV sub it was way to loose so You might be lucky sometimes :whistling:

Amazing such a small thing can make such a difference. One thing that has always boggled my mind is why can't they replicate such little things accurately? Given the detail and effort in repping something like a dial or crown, a little spring like that seems it should be a piece of cake. In any case, nice upgrade :)

Congrats on the gen 317-16800 spring.

The sources I'd located for these were getting 75.00 each.

Thank you.

$75 you say, that has to be with some serious mark-up, I paid $70 for this AND a new SS link for my 116520 bracelet.

I want one of these. On my second WM9 click spring and still don't like the way it turns. Might try a clarks one first as no doubt easier to get...

I must have gotten lucky. Both V2's had the "curved" gen-like spring. I just popped a V3 bezel on a V2 and needed a spring for that application.

I actually had to rotate the bezel a dozen times or so to "loosen" it up a bit.

The Clark spring has GREAT tension...perhaps a bit too much at first.

If I was footing the bill and going with a complete gen bezel assembly, the gen spring would be a must.

But an aftermarket is working just fine on the V3 bezel assembly and the gen insert snaps right in tight...no sanding, no shaving...presto. :victory:

Definitely helps to have a daytona ;)

I bet this isn't the first time he's "scored" something using the 'ol Daytona pull. That new spring looks burly. It's the little things like this that I love! "Big transformation happen from small artful steps." :chinese:

Nice Spyderco in your avi, btw. I'm a big fan. Got the new Endura in foliage green and loving the upgrades to the model. (Another hobby for another place, or at least thread)

you guys know you can bend the click spring to adjust the tension stiffer or softer. i played with the gen bezel on a 16610 at the AD and went home to fine tune a wm9v1 to the way the gen felt. worked well :good:

My clickspring got broken when I tried to bend it :wounded1:

I would not recommend to bend this spring to make it harder to turn but that is the WM9 clickspring :whistling:

My clickspring got broken when I tried to bend it :wounded1:

I would not recommend to bend this spring to make it harder to turn but that is the WM9 clickspring :whistling:

Not sure what a gen spring is all about but the 9.00 spring from Clark made a huge difference for the better in the v3 bezel for me.