When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Borrow a Watch?

TeeJay

I was thinking, I know that everyone here helps each other out, and I know that in the past, people have lent each other watches for one reason and another. Something else I was thinking about, is supposing someone really needed a watch for a special occasion, or just wanted to test run a model before purchassing, I wondered if it might be cool to have an "I'd like to borrow..." section? Someone could post their requirements, and people in a position to hook them up, could respond with an offer. What do people think? I figured it should be an 'edit free' section, like with the sales, so there could be no "He said this, he said that" BS which could spoil such a thing for others. I'm not suggesting that someone necessarily post "I'd like to borrow [insert member name here]'s DSSD to see how it feels," But maybe a "I'm looking to buy a DSSD and would like to try one on for a few days, can anyone hook a brother up?" or "I'm going to a wedding next Thursday and desperately need a dress watch for the occasion, can anyone help?"

What do people think? Yay, nay? :pardon:

I think it's a great idea in theory but in practice maybe not so much. The potential for abuse would most likely prohibit me from participation. I could see this happening between long time members who have developed a relationship of sorts who reside in the same country. If customs snatched a borrowed watch that would suck the fun right out of it.

Vert

Well, this is what I figured, there is certainly the potential for abuse, but, I figure if there were rules, such as no international shipping (unless the borrower agrees to replace the watch if there is any customs issues) it might be feasible for members who're established within the community :) Of course, it was just an idea I figured I'd throw out for discussion :)

There used to be a "pass around watch" but it got abused as well, unfortunately. I think it's a great idea personally, unfortunately there are always those who will mess it up for everyone else.

I trust you TeeJay....if you want to borrow one of my watches, you are welcome to! :D

There used to be a "pass around watch" but it got abused as well, unfortunately. I think it's a great idea personally, unfortunately there are always those who will mess it up for everyone else.

I trust you TeeJay....if you want to borrow one of my watches, you are welcome to! :D

Yeah, it's a real shame that the PAW never lasted, but as you say, sadly there's always those who spoil it for others... :wounded1: Thanks, and likewise, you're always welcome to borrow anything in my watchbox :drinks:

These watches cost $150-500. I think you can just buy them and if you don't like them, easily sell here with not huge loss.

The cost is irrelevent, I was just thinking that it might allow people the opportunity to try a watch without having to buy it first, and equally, possibly simply borrow something for a few days such as a dress watch or the like, but as pointed out, as with the pass around watch, the idea would probably be more trouble than it's worth :pardon:

this is a pretty good idea, and I know your intentions are great, but it is a plan fraught with problems. There are quite a few folks on the forum that I wouldn't hesitate to send just about any of my watches to try. but I wouldn't do it for the rank and file. Another thing, as someone said you have all the problems with customs, duty, seizures, etc. With all the shipping problems going on right now, I hesitate to send one out for repair, much less sending it off to someone to try on.

TJ, I realize it might be difficult for some members depending on their location, but this where GTG's come in really handy. It's a great opportunity to meet other members as well as "test" out different watches :D

When I went to Toronto and met with Toadtorrent and Andreww I got an opportunity to try on Andreww's Navitimer and I fell in love with it. I couldn't stand the look of it before based on the pictures I had seen, but in person it is a marvelous watch.

TJ, I realize it might be difficult for some members depending on their location, but this where GTG's come in really handy. It's a great opportunity to meet other members as well as "test" out different watches :D

When I went to Toronto and met with Toadtorrent and Andreww I got an opportunity to try on Andreww's Navitimer and I fell in love with it. I couldn't stand the look of it before based on the pictures I had seen, but in person it is a marvelous watch.

That's very true, I really regret that I haven't been able to make any of the GTGs yet as they do sound like a fantastic time all round, and a great opportunity to try out new watches :)

I have sent watches for try outs but only to members i have a lot of trust in.

+1...

also ---- between customs and the usual risk of handling this could be a tough on reps...but as Andy mentions, a lot has to do with the friendships/relationships one forms here...

Hike had this idea once, too... :thumbsupsmileyanim: