When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Scratched double AR?

sneed12

I picked up a blue Swiss Steelfish Super Ocean last week for a great price... regulated the movement (it was a Sellita, not an ETA, I was surprised) and brushed the crap out of the bracelet (it was in good overall shape, but had the worst desk diving marks I've ever seen) and now it's nearly as good as new.

The AR seems really good, but here's my question: What does scratched AR on the outside look like? The crystal disappears at certain angles, but at others it looks like someone wiped an oily thumb across it. I thought it was just dirty, but I've cleaned it carefully and it looks the same. My suspicion is that it had double-sided AR and the outside is now scratched. Did these come with double AR?

sounds like the outer ar is indeed scratched...oh well...

i have a skyland that i just picked up that has the same issue...i'm thinking of stripping the outer ar and just seeing what it looks like...obviously not ideal, but the scuffed ar bugs me...

good luck with it...

R

I have had the same issue with rep ar, it is not as hard as it could be but then Gens have the same problem, i think a lot of gen PO owners have removed the outer coating, or you can get it redone, but this is a SFSO i am not sure if the bezel can be removed, any one ever done it?

I have had the same issue with rep ar, it is not as hard as it could be but then Gens have the same problem, i think a lot of gen PO owners have removed the outer coating, or you can get it redone, but this is a SFSO i am not sure if the bezel can be removed, any one ever done it?

The SFSO bezel is next to impossible to remove. I spoke with Nakortheblue about how he removed his SFSO and breitling crystals to get ARed by taka. He told me that he simply bent the rider tabs up and pushed the crystal out with the bezel still on. He later put the crystal back in and bent the rider tabs back into place....

Sounds risky, but he said it's worked well for him.

Apparently trying to remove the bezel is next to impossible on these aeromarine breitlings, I think The Zigmeister and/or chief mentioned that it wasn't a pleasant experience trying to take off the bezel. The genuine bezels are removed by removing the screws from the bezel, the rep bezels are pressed on VERY firmly.

ummm...there was a member - who i can't recall his name - that posted that he was able to remove the bezel on the steelfish by pulling it off - straight up with force...obviously, i've never tried it...i think both plai and i posted in the thread...will see if i can find it...

Well, I'm out of town this weekend but I'll have a go this week sometime. I should be able to polish off the top AR without removing the crystal, no problem. I'll just go at it with the Dremel, then rotate it 45 degrees and get what the rider tabs were covering.

Should I be using the green rouge or the red (slightly coarser grit), or does it not matter?