When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which 1655 needed for a franken 1675 build

usmctowgnr

So I just scored a gen Rolex 1675 dial and hand set. I will post pics tomorrow of the dial and hands. I have read up on all the tutorials for the 1655-1675 builds but I am still a little confused as to what case I need. I know everyone says Josh's 1:1 1655 but is this the mcqueen 1655? I plan on doing gen crystal insert crown and tube along with my dial. I assume the hands will be of no use to me so they will probably end up on vrf. Any help on material and info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

I believe it would be 0 00RLEX00103 Vintage Explorer II 1655 SS/SS. (I'd link the URL, but that usually resolves to the PC homepage instead of the specific watch I'm trying to link to).

ChiMan or Andei3000 would probably know best since they've both knocked out a 1675 build...

Ubi is correct! or choose the 102 if you want to used an asian movement for your build.

Thanks everyone for the wonderfull input. I think I have found the case, bezel, and retaining ring. My biggest dilema now is the movement. I have an eta 2846 from an OCTO coming from another member that I would like to use but I do not know how or who to contact to have it modified to a GMT.

Yes. Search out my early 6542 construction threads for details.
Freddy I did the search and saw your threads on the build but the links that I think were the ones on the 2846-GMT info did not work. Am I missing something? Any input on this most recent hurdle would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Joe

the 1655 is already tapped for a 6mm tube, so don't get a 5.3mm tube. What you'll need to do is a trial and error. A gen 5.3mm crown might fit on the existing tube or leave it as is...as for the 2846 conversion. If you can't find freddy333 thread, then I did a walk through of a conversion here....

http://www.rwgforum....55/page__st__40

I hope that helps!

Ubi is correct! or choose the 102 if you want to used an asian movement for your build.

I just order one from prefect clones with the asian movement. yours has an Asian movement right? I guess I needed the one with the ETA move bummer.

I just order one from prefect clones with the asian movement. yours has an Asian movement right? I guess I needed the one with the ETA move bummer.

The Asian will actually work in your favor, as the gen GMT hand post hole is very close to the post size of the GMT wheel. All you need is to broach the GMT post hole just a tiny bit. As for fitting a small gmt hand on the ETA movement, it won't work because the post on the GMT wheel of the ETA is way too large and you would have to take out too much metal from the hand to make it work...

If you do a search, you will notice that the majority of the 1675 builds used the Asian movement....

The Asian will actually work in your favor, as the gen GMT hand post hole is very close to the post size of the GMT wheel. All you need is to broach the GMT post hole just a tiny bit. As for fitting a small gmt hand on the ETA movement, it won't work because the post on the GMT wheel of the ETA is way too large and you would have to take out too much metal from the hand to make it work...

If you do a search, you will notice that the majority of the 1675 builds used the Asian movement....

That is good news. it looks like there is a fever on 1675 builds. the factory should juts go ahead and produce one there is already a base with the 1655 case. it would sell like hot cakes.

Thanks