When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Big Block Anyone?

HauteHippie

I've owned three different versions, and miss them all. Now I get the same satisfaction of ownership from my various reps. But, judging from the price for one on ebay, I wish I would have hung on to them for investment purposes! Shoulda', coulda', woulda', I guess! Stock photos of models I owned:

tudor24.jpg

tudor22.jpg

tudor1.jpg

I really do like the silver dial with black subdials model. The Tudor hasa lot more utility for me, because i need a watch witha date function. i had a genuine Daytona probably 30+ years ago, and didn't keep it a month, couldn't get used to the manual wind and no date!! I wish now i had gotten used to them and kept it. Unfortunately, the prices of genuine Tudors are going up as fast or faster than Rolex prices

Cheif I am with you on that and particularly the version you have chosen , I reckon the 12.9.6 layout is fine , the Panda dial is awesome and the date and magnifier is a great addition. I think that bezel version only adds to it individuality, I would love to own one of these and it might even beat this version if i ever had the choice .

IMG_5237.JPG

Are you getting one?

I really like the Tudor Chronographs but somehow prefer the newer models with sapphire crystal. Here in Europe it is considered the poor man's Daytona but I think this does not do justice to the Tudor Chronographs. They were the first Tudor model that was not a copy of a much more expensive Rolex model and was the first step to emancipate Tudor from the mother Rolex.

For the kind of quality you get with a Tudor they are still inexpensive when compared to similar watches with an ETA inside. The Grantour Chronograph with a 7753 has a MSRP of 2740 € and usually you can get a 20% discount on them. Compared to a IWC Fliegerchrono with 7750 the Tudor is not expensive and probably the better looking watch. Hey - it uses the same movement like a 10k Euro Hublot :D

What is much more disturbing is the price increase over the last years which does not only apply for Tudor but also for Rolex. When I bought my first Submariner No Date 14060 it had a MSRP of around 2650 Euro. The same watch now has a MSRP of 4950 Euro only ten years later. Same with Tudor: The last 79280 Chronographs were sold around 1500 Euro and now five or six years later the price for its successor went up to 2740 Euro!??

Doubling the prices between 2001 and 2011 pushes Rolex and Tudor out of their original price range and when the pricing could be considered reasonable a few years ago the watches now are ridiculous expensive for what they offer. Within a year the Deep Sea went up from 7100 to now 8300. The 116610 LV now has a MSRP of 6650 - nearly 2k € more than it's predecessor 16610 LV a year ago and that only for a solid bracelet, a fancy clasp and a ceramic bezel?!

I've always really liked the 79170, but I guess the 7750 under the hood makes it a little boring. I do prefer the Daytona sub dial layout. Anyhow, does anyone here like this piece?

DSC02095.jpg

I love this watch. Not too sure about the rotating bezel, but if I could get the dial and movement for one of these to put in a Daytona case I have, I'd be very happy :victory: On the other hand, if I could get one of these, I would be even happier :thumbsupsmileyanim:

IMG_5237.JPG

• 10 months later...