When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seiko Monster

totalwise

I just got my seiko black monster delivered today, immediately went out to maplin and bought a link tool to remove some extras. And the watch is sized perfectly now and feels great.

Everything about the watch is great

I'm not going to rag on about any of the ususal stuff, this watch has been reviewed to death everywhere.

The only think i dont like about it is the hardplex glass, I would have liked a sapphire flat or very slight dome crystal like the way the graham chronofighter uses.

Obviously with chief AR, has anyone got any suggestions on what sapphire crystal would be the perfect fit for the orange monster..

Much appreciated.

Monsters are hard to beat for the money,tough watch. I have a orange monster and I cant seem to hurt it no matter what I do,and It still looks good. Good luck on locating a saphire crystal,that Indeed would be a nice upgrade,congratulations on your first monster. :drinks:

thanks for the feedback.

I decided that trying to get a sapphire crystal in there asap is probably me just geeking out.

Given that the hardlex crystal probably has no resell value and the sapphire improvement on the monster is most likely to be a barely noticable affair.

I'll hang on to the current crystal and then upgrade when it gets particularly roughed up.

I have owned my black monster for a few years now, have a custom rubber jubileee style bracelet for it, and wear it everytime I really snorkel or dive.

Great watch, great design.

I see over on PMWF that it was voted number one best watch for 2010.

For a couple of hundred bucks, it beats the hell out of any diver reps.

Wear it well.

Yes, Harold from Yobokies (Seikoboy ;-)) is the way to go.

I recently bought a Seiko SKA427 and am waiting until he has the AR sapphire available for that model by beginning of March. So I would say: go for it!

Yes, Harold from Yobokies (Seikoboy ;-)) is the way to go.

I recently bought a Seiko SKA427 and am waiting until he has the AR sapphire available for that model by beginning of March. So I would say: go for it!

Thanks for the suggestion. I had a second look at seikoboy's collection. I'm not really a fan, he has some nice looking dials, but they'll get quite boring as time goes on, they're too simple. I tend to go for chronos because the dials are a lot busier, I know it's not to everyones taste. But unless I can find a textured dial I'm going to stick to the stock dial.

Although a sapphire crystal could be in the works.

• 2 weeks later...

the accuracy of this entry level movement is pretty damn good. Much better than what I could get out of my A7750 movements.

When i first got the watch it was 30 seconds slow per day, and a bit of prodding around, and waiting for results after 24 hours I managed to get it down to a few seconds.

watch time	=	comp time	difference

18:03:00	=	18:02:56	+4

21:48:00		21:48:12 	-12

00:19:00	=	00:19:15	-15

20:28:00	=	20:28:12	-12

4 days later still -12 difference which means there is an agrregate 0 daily gain/loss!!! 

recorded from the last 4 24 hour periods.

Difference is between the computer time and seiko monster time each day. it's not the -/+ gain per day, but rather the general difference between the times.

The watch is consistently behind around 12 seconds for the actual time, so IMO it's pretty damn accurate right now. Because the 7s26 is a non-hacking movement it's not possible to get second hands bang on, and nor would I want to on a mechanical watch.