When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Joshs 5512 is quite nice

Star69

It's been my experience (on watches sent to me for modding and my copy of this watch) that the bezel can usually be popped off quite easily with the thumbs. The first couple bezel rings I made I tried to make this retention a bit more positive but with security came increased rotation resistance and more often a totally frozen bezel.

It's been my experience (on watches sent to me for modding and my copy of this watch) that the bezel can usually be popped off quite easily with the thumbs. The first couple bezel rings I made I tried to make this retention a bit more positive but with security came increased rotation resistance and more often a totally frozen bezel.

Wow...I just read that..popped mine right off here at work

:)

It doesn't bother me that it's a little loose..at least not yet.

Ok....(hours later)...I'm a bit worried about losing the bezel during the course of a busy day at work.

The bezel comes off too easy for me to trust it.

I've tried putting a very slight bend in the tension ring without much improvement.

Also as you mentioned Justin ..the insert isn't glued in and once I snapped mine back in... it still fell out.

I put a few tiny pin drops of hypo cement inside the bezel..so that's ok now, but i'd really hate to look down and see the whole bezel missing!

Yeah, the gen bezel retention always made me kinda scratch my head. The PT method is just a bit more positive as there is a step/lip machined at the bottom of the ring instead of an angle. Someday I'll get bored and see if the PT version will work with a gen type bezel...

Yeah, the gen bezel retention always made me kinda scratch my head. The PT method is just a bit more positive as there is a step/lip machined at the bottom of the ring instead of an angle. Someday I'll get bored and see if the PT version will work with a gen type bezel...

Please check that if you can. I have trouble with my rep retention rings either being to loose or to tight for my gen bezel to rotate or even fit properly.

My 5513 purchase from Joshua was inspired by Star69's 5512 review. Same build quality as the 5512 and at $98 a great budget build foundation. I don't have a Rolex case opener so I played around with 'vintagizing' this as far as I could today. Here are some pics:

I couldn't remove the tropic retaining ring, so got stuck here and didn't get a chance to play around with the actual dial.

On these reps -old with non correct bezel assy and new with the correct assy- cases back are oversized. Personally I have molded a tool using epoxy mixed with stainless steel powder.

To remove the plexi/bezel retaining ring, use a cutter blade and a hammer. Place the cutter blade between the case and the ring base and knock with the hammer. Do this gently at 12, 3, 6 and 9. When it starts to show a little space, lift gently with a harder blade or a little screwdriver. It will come off.

I think they are a bit short but that is made worse by the huge crown that is fitted as standard

The crown length can be reduced, but if reduced, the tube must be seated a little more deep in its hole. This has to be made to avoid a space between the case and the crown when she is full screwed

Thats my Comex 1665 built last year, its the old type with the vrong bezel assy

comex06.jpg

comex05.jpg

On these reps -old with non correct bezel assy and new with the correct assy- cases back are oversized. Personally I have molded a tool using epoxy mixed with stainless steel powder.

To remove the plexi/bezel retaining ring, use a cutter blade and a hammer. Place the cutter blade between the case and the ring base and knock with the hammer. Do this gently at 12, 3, 6 and 9. When it starts to show a little space, lift gently with a harder blade or a little screwdriver. It will come off.

The crown length can be reduced, but if reduced, the tube must be seated a little more deep in its hole. This has to be made to avoid a space between the case and the crown when she is full screwed

Thats my Comex 1665 built last year, its the old type with the vrong bezel assy

comex06.jpg

comex05.jpg

Hi Rolexaddict,

When shortening the crown, could you not shave the tube a little rather than seating it a little deeper in it's hole?

Marc.

Possible, but most of the time rep tubes are platted, you will have an ugly yellow surface which will rust or fade,

also on all tubes -gen/rep- the surface in front of the tube and retaining the inside little O-ring is very thin

imho, - and it was what I did, to seat the tube a little deeper is the best, as the outer O-ring area stay wide enough

I have a gen 7mm crown, but need to buy a 7030 tube as the crown doesn't fit the stock one. My question is does the standard 7030 tube tool fit the stock one as I need to buy one.

Also can someone let me know the process of crystal removal and fitting.

All the best

Simon

Simon,

Just pop the bezel off and the bezel ring, Then get a craft knife under the crystal retaining ring. Once that is off you should be able to lift the crystal out. I used bluetac to lift it out. Sticky tape would do.

This is one of the easiest watches to mod, it all comes apart nice and easy.

Good luck. Marc.

Possible, but most of the time rep tubes are platted, you will have an ugly yellow surface which will rust or fade,

also on all tubes -gen/rep- the surface in front of the tube and retaining the inside little O-ring is very thin

imho, - and it was what I did, to seat the tube a little deeper is the best, as the outer O-ring area stay wide enough

How did you do this? Can you just screw it in a little more or does it have to be removed and re-seated?

Kind regards, Marc.

I have a gen 7mm crown, but need to buy a 7030 tube as the crown doesn't fit the stock one. My question is does the standard 7030 tube tool fit the stock one as I need to buy one.

Also can someone let me know the process of crystal removal and fitting.

All the best

Simon

I'm too would like to know, i have a gen tube/cronw but can't install. The gen cronw don't fit in the rep tube. Mine questin is too what size of remove tool need for quit the rep tube. I suposse for put gen tube need 7030 tool.

Changed the crystal with a clarks t19 and I must say it looks much better, sorry no pics as I'm on my iphone.

Only problem is the retaining ring was tight and my bezel doesn't turn, is this a normal issue or have I done something wrong? By the way don't have a crystal press but managed to get ring and crystal on by other means.

Changed the crystal with a clarks t19 and I must say it looks much better, sorry no pics as I'm on my iphone.

Only problem is the retaining ring was tight and my bezel doesn't turn, is this a normal issue or have I done something wrong? By the way don't have a crystal press but managed to get ring and crystal on by other means.

try to take it apart again - heat up the retaining ring on an oven or something - watch in the freezer - after 2min the ring should go over the glass like butter ;)

maybe you bent the ring a bit = no turning action....

Thank star I'll give it a go, bezel turns fine with out the washer, all be it a bit roughly.

I had that issue - it's the washer / tension ring whatever you call it. I used some fine sand paper and sanded one side down - be careful and take it slowly as it's pretty thin. Mine now turns fine.

I had that issue - it's the washer / tension ring whatever you call it. I used some fine sand paper and sanded one side down - be careful and take it slowly as it's pretty thin. Mine now turns fine.

:good: