When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Joshs 5512 is quite nice

Star69

Frank

Thanks this is a great review with lots of info. Can I ask you mentioned a few posts ago that "standard sub crown fits on the tube" but then I think you have changed the tube - was this to fit a smaller crown or did the gen crown not fit? If you did change the tube what did you use and was it a straight swap or a machining job?

the stock 7mm modern Submariner crown fits without changing the tube - but i used the 703 with is a bit smaller - this one doesn't fit

for the new tube you have to remove the old crown - mile the case a bit that the new tube sits correct on the case and retap.

and here are the last pics - i promise ;)

IMG_7468.jpg

IMG_7463.jpg

IMG_7480.jpg

cheers,

Frank

the stock 7mm modern Submariner crown fits without changing the tube - but i used the 703 with is a bit smaller - this one doesn't fit

for the new tube you have to remove the old crown - mile the case a bit that the new tube sits correct on the case and retap.

and here are the last pics - i promise ;)

IMG_7468.jpg

IMG_7463.jpg

IMG_7480.jpg

cheers,

Frank

Understand - thanks for the info on that. New Pics look really great!

very cool mir36 !

BK crown should fit on the rep tube -

for my new crown today a new tube was needed 7030 tube for 703 crown :)

IMG_7408.jpg

IMG_7403.jpg

IMG_7385.jpg

vs MBW CGs :

IMG_7382.jpg

IMG_7366.jpg

IMG_7374.jpg

i love the result - esp that there is not a single gen part on the watch ;)

cheers,

Frank

Yuki has a 7mm used gen crown and tubes for sale on his site for $60 are these the correct ones? If so they seem cheaper that I thought.

as for the crown : i find $60 a little expensive ;) i just bought a used one from ebay for $20 shipped - you don't need a tube for modern 7mm crowns.

all you need is patience and a sniper program :)

the CGs :

they are shorter than MBW - yes - but not sooo short, they are very curved on top which let them look even smaller.

on the wrist however - the look ok imho.

i would not shave them from the inside and i did not much on the outside - wanted to keep as much material as possible ...

the CGs on the MBW are much more work - i had to shave them a lot on the inside and on the outside.

compared to the MBW you have the same gen like construction, gen modern 7mm crowns fit on the tube, the bracelet has hollow middle links,

bezel insert and dial is nicer. BUT CGs looks better after mods on the MBW ..... which will cost you $$$ to get it nice.

cheers,

Frank

• Like 1

Certainly agree with Frank on the CG - I think the round shape , curved from the bezel causes them to look visually smaller.

They are short and as supplied dont look at all good in my opinion. but with a little rework and a decent crown.............. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The inside face rework on the sample shown here looks much better - I guess a 702 crown would really set them off - but that will cost more than the watch! :thumbdown:

Do you think this vintage crown would have been on the gens and would it fit? it's dimensions are:

5,30D x 5,60H mm [1 inch = 25.4 mm]. 'D' refers to the crown's diameter [from one side of the circle to the other side of the circle]. 'H' refers to the crown's height [from the bottom of the crown to the top of the crown; i.e. from where it screws to the stem to the top of the logo side].

The tap dimension is 0.90mm

a.jpg4.JPG

Do you think this vintage crown would have been on the gens and would it fit? it's dimensions are:

5,30D x 5,60H mm [1 inch = 25.4 mm]. 'D' refers to the crown's diameter [from one side of the circle to the other side of the circle]. 'H' refers to the crown's height [from the bottom of the crown to the top of the crown; i.e. from where it screws to the stem to the top of the logo side].

The tap dimension is 0.90mm

no - looks like a GMT crown 2me.

Is it possible to take out the crown and stem, and using a Dremmel reduce the size of the crown? Does the internal thread go all the way inside the crown? If you could do this then would the stem need to be shortened?

Kind regards, Marc.

I recieved my 5512 and 1680 from Josh yesterday..

WooHoo!

These vintage subs are the sole reason I got into reps in the first place(although I have 9 other reps before these two..lol)

I really like the look and form. I've been collecting parts and researching and reading all I can on mods for these.

Last night I opened the 5512 to grease seals and noticed two things..

1. My LG openall 29.5 die was a bit small for the caseback. It fits the standard current range cases pefectly. Are the vintage cases a different size?

2. I've seen gen rolex movements that have the metalic marroon wheel, this movement has a light pink wheel..interesting

anyway...I'm excited to start on this!

Thanks to all for the help and knowledge that's givin freely here!