When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Joshs 5512 is quite nice

Star69

I ordered Josh's 5513 after reading Star69's 5512 review. I received it today and immediately put in on a Nato. I've never owned any vintage subs (rep or gen) but have to say I'm very happy with it.

A question on the bezel. My 5513 bezel is bi-directional and doesn't click as I would expect a diving watch to. Is that how the gen 5513 was? Thanks.

I've been following this thread and love the idea of having a go at doing the mods on it myself how ever I don't have much experience. How easy is it for a novice to replace crystal, crown and tube?

Also what's the reason for changing the crystal? And are there decent ones other than gen ones? I'd love this thread to continue and see some working progress on these watches.

All the best

Simon.

just curious as to what type of clark plexi this can take??

t-19? t-21? i'm a little confused.. :(

i want to get this and replace the xtal with clarks.. or is the stock good enough?

reshape the cg (shave?)

replace crown/tube with gen.

vintagize the bezel a little... get that grey look.

t-19 clone is needed - the rep glass it imho too domed

watchmaker knives to get the bezel off (easy ;))

the just press the new glass by hand - retaining ring over the plexi - now a press is needed (scary ;))

press the retaining ring over the glass

then bezel, washer, insert (don't forget to bleach it with Klorix or something) press on by hand

standard sub crown fits on the tube - if you want to install something smaller (Daytona crown) you need a new tube also.

CGs should be shaved on the outside with wet n dry sandpaper and polished with Dremel tool ...

all relatively easy :)

you could also drill out the lug-holes a little bit

but that's about it ;)

cheers,

Frank

• Like 1

My 5513 purchase from Joshua was inspired by Star69's 5512 review. Same build quality as the 5512 and at $98 a great budget build foundation. I don't have a Rolex case opener so I played around with 'vintagizing' this as far as I could today. Here are some pics:

The 5513 on NATO, no mods yet...

P1090685.jpg

I worked on the tropic first. Sanded the plexi with sanding sponges then polished with plastic polish...

P1090687.jpg

P1090689.jpg

This is the effect I was going for, the weathered surface shadow only visible in direct sunlight

P1090693.jpg

I couldn't remove the tropic retaining ring, so got stuck here and didn't get a chance to play around with the actual dial.

P1090722.jpg

Here is this weekend's finished product. Overdid the bleaching. Put it in a cup of 100% bleach for 30minutes. Next time I'll water it down and actually keep an eye on it.

P1090723.jpg

Thanks again Star69 for starting this thread. I too would like to see this thread continue with more budget efforts based on Joshua's $98 551x offerings. I plan to get a couple of Yuki dials and case opener and start playing around with dials. Thanks for looking.

very cool mir36 !

BK crown should fit on the rep tube -

for my new crown today a new tube was needed 7030 tube for 703 crown :)

IMG_7408.jpg

IMG_7403.jpg

IMG_7385.jpg

vs MBW CGs :

IMG_7382.jpg

IMG_7366.jpg

IMG_7374.jpg

i love the result - esp that there is not a single gen part on the watch ;)

cheers,

Frank

My 5513 purchase from Joshua was inspired by Star69's 5512 review. Same build quality as the 5512 and at $98 a great budget build foundation. I don't have a Rolex case opener so I played around with 'vintagizing' this as far as I could today. Here are some pics:

The 5513 on NATO, no mods yet...

P1090685.jpg

I worked on the tropic first. Sanded the plexi with sanding sponges then polished with plastic polish...

P1090687.jpg

P1090689.jpg

This is the effect I was going for, the weathered surface shadow only visible in direct sunlight

P1090693.jpg

I couldn't remove the tropic retaining ring, so got stuck here and didn't get a chance to play around with the actual dial.

P1090722.jpg

Here is this weekend's finished product. Overdid the bleaching. Put it in a cup of 100% bleach for 30minutes. Next time I'll water it down and actually keep an eye on it.

P1090723.jpg

Thanks again Star69 for starting this thread. I too would like to see this thread continue with more budget efforts based on Joshua's $98 551x offerings. I plan to get a couple of Yuki dials and case opener and start playing around with dials. Thanks for looking.

I,m impressed at how good these are looking with minimal work. Your right about the bleaching,you went to town on it :bangin:

Where did you get your strap from? Can't decide on 5512 or 5513 so ordered both at this price.

Frank

Thanks this is a great review with lots of info. Can I ask you mentioned a few posts ago that "standard sub crown fits on the tube" but then I think you have changed the tube - was this to fit a smaller crown or did the gen crown not fit? If you did change the tube what did you use and was it a straight swap or a machining job?