When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Homeplate

vlydog

You must be kidding me.... excellent work there, LHOOQ! :good:

Thanks, coolfire! That was my first-ever lume job, using an alvinado-sourced kit.

I wouldn't attempt a dial that required a steady hand, like a 1016 Explorer's or a Sinn U2's, but the Monte Carlo dial is perfect for beginners. If I could do it again, though, I would try to make the lume a bit darker, and a bit dirtier-looking.

Thanks, coolfire! That was my first-ever lume job, using an alvinado-sourced kit.

I wouldn't attempt a dial that required a steady hand, like a 1016 Explorer's or a Sinn U2's, but the Monte Carlo dial is perfect for beginners. If I could do it again, though, I would try to make the lume a bit darker, and a bit dirtier-looking.

Ah, alvinado has some good stuff! :good:

I dunno, but the lume on yours seems perfect to me.... tone & all! And the 2nd pic looks bloody gen! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the dimensions of the homeplates? ie width at the base, width below the triangle (they appear to taper in slightly) and length from base to tip?

I relumed the dial myself, and the results were uneven, messy, inaccurate... and not too bad compared to many gen examples!

1106058062_BPYAG-L.jpg

1187813066_Cdjzn-L.jpg

:thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Reluming is fun :D Very nice work indeed :good::drinks:

Got my DW dial and Yuki hands relumed with Bergeon lume (not too bright) by FxrAndy. The main reason for my relume was I think the DW factory lume made the surface of the indices "square" with sharp edges so I wanted to tone that effect down a bit by extra layers of lume. And while at it I also wanted it to get a little bit of vague ageing colour wise. Like it's been sitting in the vault most of the time and only rarely used.. ;)

DSCF1804.jpg

Very happy with the results!

Thanks, guys! Like mastrmind, I don't think I consider luming to be all that fun, but it is a whole lot more satisfying to say, "I did that!" instead of, "I spent $100 to have someone else do that!" Then again, you could just as easily trash a dial in the process--and believe me, it is VERY easy to mess up!

TeeJay, I don't know what nefarious plans you have for those dimensions, but maybe this will help you. The gridlines are 5mm apart:

1188270258_yYHxG-X3.jpg

I dunno, but the lume on yours seems perfect to me.... tone & all! And the 2nd pic looks bloody gen! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Jeez, I just noticed this comment now... That 2nd pic IS bloody gen, and was posted as a comparative!

Sorry for any mistaken impressions. Here's where my watch is really at right now:

1129271701_24hVW-X3.jpg

Jeez, I just noticed this comment now... That 2nd pic IS bloody gen, and was posted as a comparative!

Sorry for any mistaken impressions. Here's where my watch is really at right now:

1129271701_24hVW-X3.jpg

Well, this just goes to show how good your luming is, at first try, that I got fooled! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

DW's Homeplate dial really is great!

Wear her well, mate!

Thanks, guys! Like mastrmind, I don't think I consider luming to be all that fun, but it is a whole lot more satisfying to say, "I did that!" instead of, "I spent $100 to have someone else do that!" Then again, you could just as easily trash a dial in the process--and believe me, it is VERY easy to mess up!

TeeJay, I don't know what nefarious plans you have for those dimensions, but maybe this will help you. The gridlines are 5mm apart:

1188270258_yYHxG-X3.jpg

Hey Martin,

The home-plate indices on this dial look almost white; can you tell me a little more about it?

Bruce, the dial as received from DW looks just like that. All the homeplates are white, flat, a bit glossy, and glow weakly. I suppose DW did it this way for guys who wanted a closer resemblance to the Heritage Chronograph. Whatever the reason, it makes a great base on which to apply the yellow stuff. DW's hands are similarly lumed in white. (They're also terrible, though they might come in handy for a 1019 Milgauss build.)

coolfire: DW's dial is so far above the competition that it isn't even funny! The only features missing are the scalloped indentations of the gen's subdials, and these are hard to notice in most photos. Even if you decide to go with a Yuki, Phong, or NDT case, you will still want to use the DW dial (and probably his bezel, despite the narrow inner diameter).

1188270258_yYHxG-X3.jpg

I guess it's just a case of 'finding the fun', as for me, it's the same as drawing/tattooing/other building projects which involve focussed work :) They're never exactly a laugh a minute, but there's a definite satisfaction which makes the process worthwhile :) Thanks for the photo, it'll definitely help :drinks: I'm thinking that if I can ever get hold of one of the Quartz Heritage chronos, I could remove the existing metal-outlined baseplates, cut some new baseplates from white sticky-back vinyl, stick them in place, lume them, then use some matte varnish spray to 'pull it all together' :) It certainly wouldn't be perfect, but I think it might work :whistling:

Bruce, the dial as received from DW looks just like that. All the homeplates are white, flat, a bit glossy, and glow weakly. I suppose DW did it this way for guys who wanted a closer resemblance to the Heritage Chronograph. Whatever the reason, it makes a great base on which to apply the yellow stuff. DW's hands are similarly lumed in white. (They're also terrible, though they might come in handy for a 1019 Milgauss build.)

coolfire: DW's dial is so far above the competition that it isn't even funny! The only features missing are the scalloped indentations of the gen's subdials, and these are hard to notice in most photos. Even if you decide to go with a Yuki, Phong, or NDT case, you will still want to use the DW dial (and probably his bezel, despite the narrow inner diameter).

Exactly to all of the above!

I have a 7032 myself and yes, its closeness to the gen sans the scalloped indentations is scary. :shock: