When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Nixie tube watch

MusicBiz

There is a total of ONE post on this site on the topic of a nixie tube wristwatch. The one from cathodecorner dot com slash nixiewatch, is a design that spent a significant amount of in development, was re-engineered and re-designed before the current iteration. Check out the video of Steve Wozniak playing with his copy.

I'm really thinking about picking one up and putting a nice thick strap on it. Talk me out of it?

(if you're having trouble deciphering the link; I can't post links until i have five posts)

I did watch the video. I was thinking that I would rather have 4 digits than flashing hours and minutes. I guess they don't make smaller nixie/pixie tubes. BTW 180V DC needed to power them? Holy smokes.

“If I wanted to buy a watch that guaranteed I would never get laid, I certainly wouldn't have to spend that much on it.”

—random Slashdot comment

Build it yourself

Edited by smc

There are, I believe, two other competing designs. Some rectangular thing with krusy the klown batteries and some DIY pieces. This one though, has been through re-designs to make it as close to a reliable mainstream piece as possible. Except the 55/20mm size. The case itself is machined with precision, waterproof, mineral crystal, form factor is also as compact as can be. The first design was tested for many days before a fault was discovered with the control module if you will, the watch was then redesigned to incorporate a newer more reliable unit.

This could look real nice on a decent strap to match! I mean, if there was ever a conversation piece. I wish he would have gone bigger on the lugs and sourced a wider strap for this, it looks like a regular 18-21 sized strap.