When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So I want to make a franken

EEngels

I don't mind pursuing two separate project paths, as long as one completes faster than the other, no problem keeping it straight. What you're telling me is that I have two halves of two separate projects. My primary limitation is budget at this point.

6541 case: I must be doing something wrong. I go to ndt - sign in, attempt to purchase, no joy. The case price is 0.00 - makes me think she doesn't have it.

Besides, I thought I was doing something cool by using a gen case, albeit for a DJ, not a milgauss.

I do want that solid bezel - how to get it on the case that fits my 6541 dial is a good question.

1019 Dial: I went looking for 1019 parts at vrm - I'm just not able to pay 1100 for a dial. 

The 6541 dial I have is 28mm in diameter.

What is the diameter for a 1601 DJ dial? What is the diameter of an 1019 dial?

OK, my dial is 27.91 mm (with my weak calipers and trying to be careful with the dial.)

a DJ 16014 dial is 27.7mm -- which makes me think my dial will work, or be painfully close but not close enough.

People have put DJ 16014 dials in 1601 cases in the past with success. Maybe it will be close.

I've got a movement ring coming - when I have that, I'll have to remove the dial feet from the dial.

I had always kept hoping I'd be able to find a 15xx (1520,30,70, etc) and not have to chop dial feet, but the two times I had the chance, I missed out.

Besides, it would be that much closer to gen - although service would be a nightmare I suppose.

yah see what I mean???!!!!???

I tried to "make" some pieces fit only to fubar them. Went out and purchased a replacement and ended fubaring it all on my own, again.....

LOL....sounds just like me with mvt tampering beyond the keyless, setting DWO's and trying to install a dial with no feet  :(

YEARS LATER....

I am still doing this project. 

That's awesome.

and of all the crazy... an Omega 2500C co-axial escapement movement. This is essentially a 2892 as I understand it.

Alternately:

Sell the Omega movement to an omega rep builder and get a 2836 or other and finish the build.

Why did I buy the Omega? Because I missed out the 2x times I came across a 1570 that was close to my budget. The co-axial seemed technically intriguing.

Get a 1570. No point in using a 2500c in this case (and yes, it's very closely related to--but not the same as--an ETA 2892). There's one in the sales section right now in fact.

Save (or sell) the 2500c for a built that needs it, like a display back aqua terra.

That's awesome.

Get a 1570. No point in using a 2500c in this case (and yes, it's very closely related to--but not the same as--an ETA 2892). There's one in the sales section right now in fact.

Save (or sell) the 2500c for a built that needs it, like a display back aqua terra.

You're right.

I don't have the membership level to list the Omega, but I will sell it to someone committed to building an Omega build. 

The 1570 in the sales section is out of my budget, but it'll be amazing for the person who gets it - the seller says it's freshly serviced!

... man, if I had a 1570, I'd be done by now. That would be so perfect.

OK, my dial is 27.91 mm (with my weak calipers and trying to be careful with the dial.)

a DJ 16014 dial is 27.7mm -- which makes me think my dial will work, or be painfully close but not close enough.

People have put DJ 16014 dials in 1601 cases in the past with success. Maybe it will be close.

you have about 1mm of play between dials, so 27.91/27.7/28mm should all work. 

I've heard that there is a separate mod to fit 16000 dials in 1601 cases (or was it vice versa?).  I like to keep the 1600 series separate from the 16000 series and keep the corresponding dials the same too.  makes things a bit more "gen"

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, do you want to build a 6541? But it looks like you're using a Datejust/Explorer case.

You're correct. I like the 6541 without the smooth polished fixed bezel, and not the rotating bezel.

I came to like the 6541, learning about it after a friend of mine received a modern 116400GV as a gift. 

Purchasing a 1601 DJ case seemed like an easy way to get the smooth bezel instead of trying to figure out how to get a smooth bezel to fit on a 6541 or 6538 style case instead of the rotating bezel.

Some people here have wisely suggested getting a 1019 dial and using that. I already owned the 6541 dial by that time, and can't find 1019 dials. 

Yes, this is totally not a replica - no 1580 in iron inner case, not even a 1570 (although I would happily use one if I could find one at a good price at a time when I have money on hand.)

It's quite definitely a franken and more what I'd call an homage. At least I'm using a gen case, crown, even if it's for the wrong model.

It's my first build - I hope it doesn't offend people here too much. I hope the hobby is big enough to allow people with my sort of taste in watches in the community. 

If you compare the case of the Datejust and the Milgauss you will realize that the Milgauss is bigger, I'd say the bezel is twice the size of the DJ bezel.

I think, if you really want to build a nice Franken, you'd be better off buying a 6538 and get a bezel machined by someone. Should be an easy job for someone with a lathe.

..don't brother with a replica 6538 case. just get a tudor jumbo ref 9080 which is made with the same size as 1019 (and its still probably cheaper for now). rumors has it that Rolex used the left over 1019 case for the Tudor Jumbo...

..don't brother with a replica 6538 case. just get a tudor jumbo ref 9080 which is made with the same size as 1019 (and its still probably cheaper for now). rumors has it that Rolex used the left over 1019 case for the Tudor Jumbo...

Thank you! That's new to me. Another Rolex myth :)

• 3 weeks later...

CURRENTLY SEEKING: 

affordable steel crown for 16200 (the hybrid 6mm/5.3mm crown).

affordable used 1016 / 14270 style Explorer dial. Got one you didn't like enough to use? Let me know!

HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED after everyone told me I was nuts to use the Omega 8500C movement:

I went a little nuts.

I picked up a 16030 and a 16233 case to go with my 1601.

Here's what I'm going to do - 

I'm going to have the 6541 dial in one of them (it fits!)

I have a Silver DJ dial ready for the 16030.

And want an explorer dial (1016? 14270? --- wherever a decent (or even non-decent) dial comes from. Got a dial that wasn't good enough? Let's talk.)

MOVEMENTS:

I have a 2836 signed as RADO that needs a service and a 2824-2 in a Croton that needs help (keyless works are screwed up - stem doesn't pull in/out to set)

I also have a few of the 2842 Swatch movements. These don't have any holes at all for dial feet, or screw holes for tabs to mount with.