When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Not an idle saterday

FxrAndy

I have been tasked by my watchmaking mentor to make some mobile desks for seminars that i help him with, the idea is that we can put all the equipment for one person in the desk and we can conduct the seminar any where where we have a standard table and office chair so this is what i can come up with (I have used Reds design as a base so thanks mate) This is a prototype that will be made by a professional carpenter so it will look quite a bit better than my wood hackings but your input is always usefull.

The storage will be worked in quite a bit but i see lots of options here not just for watch making but for model makers ect.

bc96b2e6.jpg

a4bd573f.jpg

815163c2.jpg

75b81b06.jpg

3c04d6ad.jpg

09debf26.jpg

Lots of places for improvement like the material, joins, finish, height, storage but it is a start point, i am intetested in your thoughts

It sounds great Andy, the shape sounds perfect. I always used to find square tables when working were a real pain as sometimes you need your hands at different levels. With your table box you can easily have one arm and hand on the box with the other elbow/bicep area off the side but still have the solid base you need to keep your hand steady!

Top work I say, on both yourself and Reds part!! Drawers are nicely out of the way too, so you don't run the risk of catching a cuff or hand on the handle and pulling it out spilling everything, ie, wee nadgery bits and buggers, all over the floor!

Well thought out and made. Well done guys, top work!!

Sixx :bones:

I like it a lot and think you have done a great job so far mate :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I definitely think the small drawers is a good idea

Its difficult to give suggestions as I dont do that much work on watches to know what you would want in front of you or where to reach for.

But I would imagine a few drop wells (like Ink wells) felted inside and with liftable lids might be useful

Perhaps a drawer with the same above might be better I am not sure

What about a slight lip on the edges to prevent roll offs

A raiseable area in front perhaps like a lectern or maybe a drawer then when emptied of its tools for the desk can then be turned over to give a raised working area or maybe where the desk angles in have the back slightly higher.

Put non slip mating on base of the overall box

Place a hole in back and conduit of some kind to allow get power from the bvack to the front without having wires laying over the desk etc

Sorry if I am stating rubbish or the obvious but just a few thoughts I think its a great job and great idea mate :) :)

I know freddy but have you seen how much they want for postage to europe and i need at least 6 and then i may want a couple more for my self, also i find that the shape of the top will be a pain with the raised edge all around.

I have been using the prototype for a week now and i am more than happy with the way it has changed my seating position, so the second prototype has gone off to a profesional carpentry shop to see what they can make of it and to improve the storage options, i will follow up with photos when their prototype is done