When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone making flat 3 overlays or datewheels anymore?

LIBBY!

I have two of them coming from Andrew, already shipped. $38 + $15. They are supposed to be open 6s and 9s and flat-topped 3s. It is the overlay from the factory that does his top-grade vintage watches. I'm looking forward to getting them as I am putting one in a 1960s vintage 1601. Only problem is it will be white or silver and I don't know how the stain it a champagne color. Might have to make a concession there.

Andrew has been a great source for rep parts. I have bought bracelets, case parts, etc. from him. He usually ships within two days. I have them in a week.

Only problem is it will be white or silver and I don't know how the stain it a champagne color.

Depends what the datewheel is made of. I have used pencil crayons on white datewheels just to take the bright white shine off them. You would have to experiment to see what will work.

I have two of them coming from Andrew, already shipped. $38 + $15. They are supposed to be open 6s and 9s and flat-topped 3s. It is the overlay from the factory that does his top-grade vintage watches. I'm looking forward to getting them as I am putting one in a 1960s vintage 1601. Only problem is it will be white or silver and I don't know how the stain it a champagne color. Might have to make a concession there.

Andrew has been a great source for rep parts. I have bought bracelets, case parts, etc. from him. He usually ships within two days. I have them in a week.

I'd like to see it once you get it if you don't mind posting a pic of it here. I'm in the process of sourcing / creating one myself.

I'd like to see it once you get it if you don't mind posting a pic of it here. I'm in the process of sourcing / creating one myself.

I will do that. Should have them the first of the week. Are the window positions in different places on different watches with the same movement? I put a WM9 overlay on a 2836 and put it in a 16234. The numbers are a little left justified in the window.

If what btocamelo says is true, and I believe that it is, they will not work for me, either. I was going to use both under a gen DJ dial.

We'll see...Andrew is pretty quick to tell you (or ask questions) when something might not do what you want it to. He doesnt't seem to want trouble.

Edited by preacher62

I will do that. Should have them the first of the week. Are the window positions in different places on different watches with the same movement? I put a WM9 overlay on a 2836 and put it in a 16234. The numbers are a little left justified in the window.

If what btocamelo says is true, and I believe that it is, they will not work for me, either. I was going to use both under a gen DJ dial.

We'll see...Andrew is pretty quick to tell you (or ask questions) when something might not do what you want it to. He doesnt't seem to want trouble.

yes, what btocamelo says is true, the radius of the gen datewheel is about 1mm smaller than the radius of the ETA datewheel. I actually have a gen DJ dial and a DW overlay so mine fits. I tried the ETA overlay with the DJ dial and the ETA datewheel is too far to the left by that 1mm I mention. Besides you cannot just use a Rolex datefont even if you could line it up with the ETA datewindow because the Rolex fonts are made widescreen or 16:9, where as the ETA datewindow is more 4:3 ration, so your Rolex datefonts will get cut off on the edges. There's quite a bit of discussion over on the other forum about this as well.

Its not all that bad.... its just slightly off to the left because the gen datewindow is a little wider than the reps we normally see. I think i am going to get a nice silver flat top 3 datewheel and scan it into my PC, then i will enlarge the diameter by 1mm then reprint it. Then you can use a silver, soft pencil crayon from an art supply store to make the silver color and you can even create the brushed finish if you take your time.

If you find that your font is way to far to the left then you can slightly move the whole dial to the left a tiny bit to help center the datewheel. Just make sure you leave enough clearance to be able to press on the hour hand without it rubbing on the inside of the hole through the dial.

dizz

Its not all that bad.... its just slightly off to the left because the gen datewindow is a little wider than the reps we normally see. I think i am going to get a nice silver flat top 3 datewheel and scan it into my PC, then i will enlarge the diameter by 1mm then reprint it. Then you can use a silver, soft pencil crayon from an art supply store to make the silver color and you can even create the brushed finish if you take your time.

If you find that your font is way to far to the left then you can slightly move the whole dial to the left a tiny bit to help center the datewheel. Just make sure you leave enough clearance to be able to press on the hour hand without it rubbing on the inside of the hole through the dial.

dizz

I appreciate that explanation, ....Kay. I have wondered but never asked.

But, it's really not that bad. I will post a pic of my 16234. I'll have to make a "straight on" one as I don't have one. It's just in the single digit dates that it is really noticable. The teens are much less noticable and the 20s and 30s are just great. I have seen DJs on ebay that the dates are left of center just a little. Heck...we have politicians that are left of center...just a little bit.

My love for the Rolex has always been based in the sub-type watches, but because of what some of you have done I made this DJ, and I just love it. The DJ is, arguably, the most recognizable watch on the planet and I don't see why more members don't want one. Probably the best franken you can attempt. Anyway, I'd love to improve that datewheel. I might have to just get into the datewheel business.

Edited by preacher62

This is what the wm9 dwo looks like on a gen dj dial. This was my first DJ attempt.

I'm calling it a 16234 even though it has a plastic crystal. I might get a sapphire crystal some day. I even sprang for a 18K wg bezel.

It has a gen ETA 2836-2 that keeps time in the +/- 2 sec/day range.

You can see that it is left-justified but it never touches the edge of the window. Just another "rep" problem to solve.

100_2873-resized.jpg

MOF I think it is not a problem.

100_2874-resized.jpg

100_2843-resized.jpg

100_2841-resized.jpg

Sorry 'bout the scratch on the mag lens. I'll get that if I ever take the watch off.

Edited by preacher62

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned that I had some dwos coming with open 6s and 9s and flat-topped 3s and that I would post a pic when they arrived. Here they are.

This is the dwo that came from Andrew.

100_2880.jpg

This pic is beside a c. 1960 vintage 1570 Datejust wheel.

100_2884.jpg

The Rolex wheel is much sharper and the font is a point or two larger.

I'm still wondering how to make the dwo that I purchased the same color as the Rolex wheel.

Edited by preacher62

Since when did Andrew start selling dwo's??? I'd love to get my hands on that dwo..

I have purchased several rep parts from him. He, apparently, has an arrangement with the factory...

I just emailed him inquiring about "a dwo with open 6s & 9s and flat-topped 3s like the one on your best vintage 1680s."

He gave me a price of $38.00 and I had them in 10 days.

Edited by preacher62

I have purchased several rep parts from him. He, apparently, has an arrangement with the factory...

I just emailed him inquiring about "a dwo with open 6s & 9s and flat-topped 3s like the one on your best vintage 1680s."

He gave me a price of $38.00 and I had them in 10 days.

$38 plus $15 shipping for two overlays? I bet he pays 25 cents for them and ships them for free same as he ships his 7836 bracelet.

I suck with CAD programs and such but why cant someone who knows this stuff, scan one and print them off to sell. Cant be that difficult to scan one and reprint it the correct size. I used a regular scanner and scanned one at 300dpi and reprinted it. Came out pretty good but not as sharp as it should be.

dizz

I am looking into doing a run, as I have access to some high end scanners printers. I just need a good source to scan, and so far I haven't found anyone willing to send along a datewheel/overlay. The overlays I have seen to this point have all been kinda fuzzy under date mag, so scanning those would be pointless...

$38 plus $15 shipping for two overlays? I bet he pays 25 cents for them and ships them for free same as he ships his 7836 bracelet.

I suck with CAD programs and such but why cant someone who knows this stuff, scan one and print them off to sell. Cant be that difficult to scan one and reprint it the correct size. I used a regular scanner and scanned one at 300dpi and reprinted it. Came out pretty good but not as sharp as it should be.

dizz

yeah, $53 is a bit steep, considering that he most likely gets them on the cheap. I wish I knew CAD too, but apparently someone is working on a Hublot or AP datewheel overlay somewhere on the other forum.

Guess we're paying for his time to handle and process the order - we all have fixed costs! :whistling:

Anyhow, noticed the '6' on 26 is closed and not open as it is on the gen DJ picture? :wounded1:

I will chat to one of my CAD guys about this..........it must be possible to scan and create. BUT I need the best original artwork to start with?

Any ideas?