When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modded Josh 1655 Updated **1-4-2011**

blix

New post:

Update:

- Added gen. 116 crystal

- Dial lumed/ages in 'vintage-style' (my first dial ever -- so be nice!)

On to the pictures:

48334823.jpg

17278806.jpg

49978179.jpg

83790091.jpg

What do you guys think?

Old Post:

Thought I'd post some pictures of my lately acquired, and soon after modded, Explorer McQueen 1655. I traded this watch for my PAM288 (it's just -too- big...) with Mapman57 on RG. Mapman was so helpful to drill the lugholes to accept gen. springsbars, he also put in a Clark OEM specced crystal to replace the stock crystal. I was very happy with the changes that were made, but I just had the feeling that it needed some more work. It's an old watch, so it shouldn't look NOS. :rolleyes:

What I've done to it: I've shaven the CGs per gen (atleast I tried, and I think it came out pretty darn good for a first time), shaven the lugs a bit to duplicate years of polishing. Also completely busted up the case and polished it, to give that 'old' looks. Ditto with the plexi crystal.

Specs:

- Josh 1655

- Clark crystal spec per gen

- Lugholes drilled for 2mm springbars

- Gen. springbars that I stole from my dad :p

- Yuki 7206 bracelet

What I will do in the future (when my mod skills get above subpar):

- Age dial & hands

- (maybe) replace the dial with a nice aftermarket one

Shut up and post the pictures already! Alright, here goes:

97367109.jpg

59367254.jpg

99767500.jpg

33695560.jpg

47358414.jpg

69507876.jpg

50919249.jpg

28472102.jpg

63198721.jpg

21203158.jpg

I love rivet bracelets:

52170726.jpg

52903091.jpg

Last, but not least... a wristie:

79933501.jpg

Almost forgot, some action shots:

98109718.jpg

10948523.jpg

I'm still in the progress of modding/completing this watch, thus, if you have suggestions: Please post! Thanks.

Hmmm... You might want to trim the CGs a slight bit more, but not much. You still want a bit of an angle to the edges that frame the crown ;)

Also, if you are in the market for a new dial, I tihnk that would absolutely improve the overall aesthetic; you want the outside edge square markers to be just touching the rehaut lip.

If you are in the U.S. I might have a spare 6mm gen crown you can have... I'll need to check tonight...

Thanks a bunch, Ubi. I am also in the market for a new dial. But being a mod newbie, I want to practice hand removal, and dial removal, before I try it on one of my 'real' watches. Assemble, disassemble, remove or change the crown, changing crystal: No problem. Hands and dial... whole different league! :lol:

I hear you. I've ordered some tools at Watch Biz. With some, I mean pretty much everything besides a pressure tester and a ultrasonic cleaner. :D I've tried once, to remove some hands... I should have done some research before I did, because I totally messed up. Didn't cover the dial, didn't cover the tool with some protective tape. Result: hands and dial scratched. I find it hard to believe people can take off the hands without damaging them.

You're absolutely right striker. Although, I have no experience with removing dials, or hands for that matter. Thus, I'll hold off on that. Is that you 1655 in the pics? Dial and hands look great. White markers, yet with a vintage look. Chapeau.

Hi Blix

I think your numberal on bezel is little bit toomuch faded.

And the hands and dial really need to aging..especially the GMT hand too shiny.

By personally, I would prefer 78360 bracelet is better match 1655, seems completely original.

The last thing, it really give you away is the crystal. Absolutely wrong magnification.

But generally, your watch look nice. Keep on! good luck

post-28471-0-28164800-1298994291.jpg

Go with a newer style bracelet... The thing does not have to be too accurate, like I said before they are at the newest almost 30 years old. Plus the newer style flip lock clasp and bracelet will make it a bit nicer piece. You feel a bit better with it on then the clasp...

Thank you for the critical remarks! Though, the numberals I have done on purpose. I've seen quite a few 1655s with numberals like mine, or even worse (I can always decide to paint-fill them). Moreover I have to say that I didn't know the date-magnification was off. I thought it was closed to gen. as possible (w/o buying a gen. crystal). Any tips on a new crystal, or is gen. really the only choice? And the bracelet... I guess it's about personal preference. :) It is an original bracelet, that also was used on 1655s. So it's 'original' -- though, generally the folded bracelet is more common.

Thanks again.

Hi Blix

I think your numberal on bezel is little bit toomuch faded.

And the hands and dial really need to aging..especially the GMT hand too shiny.

By personally, I would prefer 78360 bracelet is better match 1655, seems completely original.

The last thing, it really give you away is the crystal. Absolutely wrong magnification.

But generally, your watch look nice. Keep on! good luck

Thanks bro!

:thumbsupsmileyanim: Very nice.

I guess you're right about the safety part. Although, I am really happy with the overall look of the 1655/7206 combo. I've tried it with 93150(incorrect), 7838(correct) and of course the 7206(correct), and personally I choose the 7206 on both looks and comfort. I'll take my chance regarding non-fliplock clasp.

Go with a newer style bracelet... The thing does not have to be too accurate, like I said before they are at the newest almost 30 years old. Plus the newer style flip lock clasp and bracelet will make it a bit nicer piece. You feel a bit better with it on then the clasp...

• 4 weeks later...

Looking good, my friend! - Gen crystals really DO make a difference, don't they?

Couple things - Reading through the old post stuff, I gotta tell ya - Don't be afraid of removing the dial and hands! As you now know. there are easy enough ways to protect them while you remove them that you shouldn't fear! It will make your reluming much easier.

Your lume job on your hands would look pretty kick butt if it was applied from behind. Trying to fill those tiny grooves from the front is, well. . .you've done it so you know how frustrating it is.

Your Yuki 7206 looks really nice :good: . I'm totally jealous <_< . I just had to send one back because of finish issues - (Great customer service though, jumping right on it to make things right!), but it's the last major piece I need to finish my beast. The flip-lock with 580 end links are not going to be used on my build. I'll just have to put it on nato until I can get a 7206.

I'd definitely give those crown guards a go. A set of jewelers files is a great investment in this hobby. Pull the crown and tube, protect the tube area with a strip of duct tape, and go slowly - couple passes at a time. It's eazy-squeezy.

Striker suggested toning down the hands a tad - anyone ever bleached hands before? I'm sure it can be done as easy as inserts.

Thanks, mate. Gen crystal is a huge difference - night and day. The old clark crystal doesn't even come close (especially the cyclops).

Not afraid to remove the hands/dial really, just hesitant because I don't have any low-end reps to experiment with (I don't want to mess up a WM9 or MBK watch...). I guess I should be getting some cheapies to fool around with -- it shouldn't be that hard, after a few test runs. Although doing the hands wasn't that bad, and I quite like the outcome. I went for tritium contamination, which imo went great. But I agree, if I were to lume hands perfectly... no way in hell it would be possible with out removing the hands first. :rolleyes:

Yep, the Yuki is awesome! It's such a beautiful bracelet, and spot on compared to the gen (apart from the type stampings, but that doesn't bother me one bit). Although I have an old version that can't fit gen 2mm springbars, I believe they've 'fixed' that in there recent 7206 bracelets. Oh well...

Last, you sure about the CGs? I've shaped them A LOT. Compared to the gen (depending on year) I'm quite happy with how they are now. Pretty sure I'll overdo it if I do another shave.

Ugh, I just [censored] up my keyless works (I think). Stem won't mount anymore... fuuuuck. Guess I'll have to take off the hands after all, LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

And another update. :)

I took out the original dial, and I replaced it with a NDT dial. Moreover I also stripped the 'tritium' from the hands, this because I wasn't exactly happy with the previous results (and it also didn't match with my current dial). The dial was 'vintagized' by me -- I'm quite happy with the endresult. I went for a water-contaminated look, hence the small 'fungi/mould' stains on the dial.

And last, the pictures:

img02232.jpg

img02252.jpg

img02432.jpg

img02342.jpg

Thanks for looking!