When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Your thoughts on DLC project.

mjmurphy926

So I've been wanting to do a DLC PAM for a long time. I'm trying to decide what I want to do.

I love the overall look of the 360. I also love the new 005. I thought of going for a straight DLC 005, but one of my favorite things about the 360 is the orange lume. Would I be nuts to do a 005, but have Zig or Vac change the dial and hands to orange lume (assuming that's possible on a 005 dial)?

I was planning to start with a 111J case set, but If I go the 005 route, I may use that case instead (providing our DLC guys don't advise against it).

I'm not even close to a decision yet, just kicking some thoughts around.

Are any of you planning PVD/DLC projects with one of the new PAM cases? If so, what formula are you thinking about?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Mike

Yes mate you ARE Nuts !!!!

Sorry what was the question !!???;)

I know a few guys are talking about getting a 360 dial made up....I think Rolf was one... I think he also talked about putting a complete project together..

As for using the case given its friction fitted I think you will have problems but contacting Avitt direct is your best bet...

Sam has put together your idea and has posted pics though I think it was a gen dial....

I think if your up for just a DLC and vintage why not open your options go for a PreA or even PreV with the 111 case... Non matching dial etc

At the end of the day concentrate more on what you like, in this particular case, and dont worry so much about making it a true rep... DLC and vintage lume is an awesome combination...

You have so many options mate.... I could go on and on and on and on..........and on and on.....

and on and on and on........

Hold on I do anyway !!! ;)

Answer to the last question is yes I had planned one...:)

Isn't DSNs 360 dial OK? From what I remember it looks a lot nicer than the previous DSN sausage dials...

- DSN caseback, dial + hands

- Cartel 005

- DLC coating

That should do the trick quite good and has everything like the 360: Thick CG, lever with roller, deep rehaut for sausage dials, good crown...

I'd go for the 360 if I had to choose between a DLCed 005 and 360.

Why? Because there is a gen 360 out there with all the features you like.

Yeah, I like the look of the 360 a lot, I'm just not sure I want to own a rep of that particular watch given it's reason for being and what it represents. I kind of go back and forth on this though and I haven't completely ruled it out.

As for the 005, I know there are a lot of gen owners that have their watches DLCed, I just doubt that many change their lume color, so it would be kind of weird seeing a DLCed, orange lumed, 005.

Decisions, decisions...

Wait for the 000 then have it relumed with vintage look and DLCed.

That's a thought, I'm just not real good at waiting around for something that may never come.

Yes mate you ARE Nuts !!!!

Sorry what was the question !!???;)

I know a few guys are talking about getting a 360 dial made up....I think Rolf was one... I think he also talked about putting a complete project together..

As for using the case given its friction fitted I think you will have problems but contacting Avitt direct is your best bet...

Sam has put together your idea and has posted pics though I think it was a gen dial....

I think if your up for just a DLC and vintage why not open your options go for a PreA or even PreV with the 111 case... Non matching dial etc

At the end of the day concentrate more on what you like, in this particular case, and dont worry so much about making it a true rep... DLC and vintage lume is an awesome combination...

You have so many options mate.... I could go on and on and on and on..........and on and on.....

and on and on and on........

Hold on I do anyway !!! ;)

Answer to the last question is yes I had planned one...:)

First of all Pete, I really enjoy it when you ramble on and on. Please don't ever stop. I'm learning a ton from your ramblings!

Second of all, how come I knew you would have something to say about my being nuts? ;)

As for DLCing the H-factory case, I noticed that rolli just bought one in the sales forum that I'm hoping he's going to attempt to coat. Maybe we'll all learn how worthy it is to coating real soon.

I'd really like to do a vintage, but I wanted to do a DLC case, and to be accurate, wouldn't a vintage need to be PVDed? Plus, I was just thinking that using parts on hand would be a lot easier than trying to acquire the parts needed for a vintage build (I do realize that it's not that tough to find these parts though.).

Can't wait to see what you have planned!

Anyway, thanks to all for the input! :drinks:

LOL :p

I spoke a fair bit to Mike about this regaring the coating... he suggested that the DLC could give you a PreV look especially the way Avitt can do it but with that you will not get the patina that PVD develops over time, of course using Robs PVD which I understand is to and by the original OP coaters...this will.

If you went for say something like a 202a then this is much lighter than most PreV finishes the gen is more of a pencil grey which of course DLC can easily achieve then a nice MM dial non matching and you are getting all your after..

You could also polish down the PVD to achieve this as well....

In terms of accuracy either coating will look too new its just one will stay that way....although by the time the PVD does you will probably of moved on in terms of taste though with the DLC you could think about alternative dials more contemporary that will come out over time etc You could try distressing the PVD but IMHO this never looks quite right and is a fine line between getting it right and cocking it up...

Thanks again for a great reply Pete!

I was leaning toward a more modern DLC because of a lot of the reasons you listed above, but I am still in the decision stage and nothing's for sure yet.

I just accepted QC pix on a 111J from Tony (Asian7750) and I'm waiting to see the quality of the caseset when it arrives. I'm hoping the CG on this one is much better than the piece of crap CG on my first 111J from a different seller. It looks good in the QC shots, but so did my first one. This is the caseset that is my leading candidate at the moment.

I also have a very nice old cartel 111H case, a V-CG, and a WO99 CG on the way. So, I have a few different combos to choose from, especially if you throw in the H-factory 005 case.

I'll be keeping a close eye on this forum for others PVD/DLC projects.

Thanks again to all!

Mike

Between DLC'd 005 and 360, I pick the 005. Reasons being:

- A 360 will catch more attention of people who know what it is = more scrutiny

- Quality of aftermarket DLC treatment on a 005 varies = less scrutiny

- 360 has a faux vintage lume color... if I plan a rep of this, it'd be a faux-faux vintage lume

Having said this, I've just sent in my 005 for Taka DLC.

Between DLC'd 005 and 360, I pick the 005. Reasons being:

- A 360 will catch more attention of people who know what it is = more scrutiny

- Quality of aftermarket DLC treatment on a 005 varies = less scrutiny

- 360 has a faux vintage lume color... if I plan a rep of this, it'd be a faux-faux vintage lume

I agree with all these statements.

Having said this, I've just sent in my 005 for Taka DLC.

Sweet! I really look forward to seeing these pix!