When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which base is better for a snowflake project?

blackdice

Hey guys i'm planning on a snowflake project, my first vintage by the way but i'm wondering which watch is a good base to start with? My budget is around 600-700, so yuki and mbw is out of the question. any comments on the PT 1680 or 5512 that Star69 was talking about? I won't be building it myself planning on asking a modder to do it for me. So the question is which watch is a good base for the snowflake? By the way the snowflake that i'm talking about is the one with date window. Cheers!

where can i find a correct case back then?

prob nobody can tell you which caseback fit on which case ;)

best get complete case like yuki = expensive -

or cheap - like Joshs 5513 + extra dial an hope that the dials diameter is not too small for the case ;)

prob nobody can tell you which caseback fit on which case ;)

best get complete case like yuki = expensive -

or cheap - like Joshs 5513 + extra dial an hope that the dials diameter is not too small for the case ;)

What do you mean by "nobody can tell you which caseback fit on which case?"

yea i think im going with the 5513, as it can fit a gen crystal and thats what im planning on installing, but the caseback problem is putting me off, does anyone have a solution for it?

• 4 weeks later...

The caseback engraving is an issue for sure! JMB on this forum is experimenting as we speak w/ his new c&c & may have the recipe in short order.

I built a snowflake from a cartel 1680, had International Dial re-do the dial successfully & had Motor city Watchworks source the hands, aged a generic blue insert, had the date wheel re-done in red added a Tudor sub bracelet...A credible cost effective result!

Regards, mcotter

Somebody post up a good straight-on close-up of the proper case back and if it is a "flat" case back I can probably create a program to do the engraving...

OK, I have the artwork finished for that as it's the same as on the Prince Oysterdate. If the back is pretty much flat I might be able to do it.

JMB, The caseback on the gen Tudor sub is dead nuts flat. The problem w/ rep casebacks is that they are either domed as in early or flat center w/tapered 1/4" surround as in later. I guess you could turn either to a "flat" providing case thickness would allow.Also the script size varied a bit from model to model. I'll send you a picture of a couple I own for reference...Regards, mcotter

• 4 months later...

Nick finished it, and sold it to me. I've got it and its sister at Ziggy's place now getting a spa treatment. :Jumpy:

One will be up for sale as soon as it returns from the Master's Hands, untouched by mere mortals such as myself.

One will be up for sale as soon as it returns from the Master's Hands, untouched by mere mortals such as myself.

Only need one Snowflake in the stable Nanuq? What do you have again? Two 9411's or one 9411 and one 9401 no date?

Still waiting for mine to return from a lengthy, but much needed, spa treatment. All this Snowflake action has me missing that watch all the more!

@Nanuq, Oh, Duh. lol

I got one of those Josh 1680 for another project. Will see how bad the Cgs really are. I can always grind between the CGs to make them a bit deeper, but not too much and use the correct 7mm crown that won't sit too high and see how it goes.

My issue is water tightness and every day use. I cannot bare to wear a watch that I have to baby. I grew up with G-shocks and coral reef hits and crashes while surfing were common, but those Gshocks just took it and wanted more.

E